Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
SOLD - Uncle Billy's Kona
https://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/news/2022/01/27/kona-bay-hotel-sells-for-21m.html?ana=TRUEANTHEMFB_HI&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A%20Trending%20Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR3d-eMDsEjhqLWnW_mIr52cDFsptAcdfIzvQQleQmaVDnjpT8f5i6oSuOc

"Shapery Enterprises has acquired the Kona Bay Hotel, formerly known as Uncle Billy's, in Kailua-Kona on Hawaii Island.
JLL, which marketed the property on behalf of a local family, announced Thursday it closed the $21 million fee simple sale of the select-service hotel.
Situated on 2.06-acres, Kona Bay Hotel currently features a mix of 122 traditional guest rooms and suites, and the property provides an opportunity to renovate and reposition, according to JLL."
Yay! My go-to Kona overnight staycation place. Thanks for posting this.
Certainty will be the death of us.
A long time ago, we had reserved a room there, and I guess they ran out of rooms so they put us across the street. The room was a dive, BUT, it was oceanfront, and wonderful. No noise from the street or people, just a nice view of the ocean.

When we stayed there the next time, we had to beg and plead to get the same room. They didn't want to give it to us because, like I said, it was in really bad shape. Everything worked, it was just sorely in need of an upgrade.

The time after that, they just flat out would not let us have it. Hopefully they will renovate that block of rooms. They could get top dollar for them for sure.
We stayed a night there in November and were directed to the "annex" across the street. The room was as Chas said in need of serious upgrades. But what a view from our lanai! Not sure what was going on, but there didn't appear to be anyone staying at the actual hotel. I look forward to the renovations, I just hope we can still afford to stay there once in awhile when they are completed.
I see the Kona Seaside is back in business, but a little more expensive than before. $249/night kama'aina rate. I've never stayed at Uncle Billy's, how would it have compared?
WAY cheaper. I think it was about $150. This was about 3-5 years ago. And right next door to Holy Donuts too!
Certainty will be the death of us.
Ouch ! I hope they did a lot of renovating and improvements.
(02-04-2022, 06:48 AM)Obie Wrote: Ouch ! I hope they did a lot of renovating and improvements.

That was for the land and non-renovated buildings. I assume that the buildings are in such bad shape that they will tear down and start with new construction.

Essentially, they paid $10 mil per acre...
Seaside was a lot cheaper before the pandemic too. And no resort fee, parking fee, etc...

We should all go in on a Punaweb timeshare, so we have an affordable place to stay on Kona side.
(02-04-2022, 05:14 AM)randomq Wrote: I see the Kona Seaside is back in business, but a little more expensive than before. $249/night kama'aina rate.  I've never stayed at Uncle Billy's, how would it have compared?
We've never paid more than $120 at Uncle Billy's using Hotwire but you never know what room you will end up with. One time we got a room with three single beds. We got a laugh over that but it was only for one night. Some rooms are more updated while others seem a little grungy, but I do like the location. I prefer the Seaside but their prices have gotten too high for my liking.

(02-04-2022, 04:40 PM)randomq Wrote: Seaside was a lot cheaper before the pandemic too. And no resort fee, parking fee, etc...

We should all go in on a Punaweb timeshare, so we have an affordable place to stay on Kona side.
But could you ever get everyone to agree on a place? ?