Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smart Meter
Helco just sent me an email that says I will shortly be receiving their new “advanced digital meter” complete with online apps to control my bill. I guess the term Smart Meter carries too much baggage because those words did not appear anywhere. I was given a link to opt out, however.
"Aloha,
Our islands’ electric grids are being modernized and you’ll be among the first to receive a technology upgrade. In the coming months, Hawaiian Electric will replace your old electric meter with an advanced digital meter that provides energy use data through wireless communications. The replacement is free, and no action is required.

What does this new technology mean for you? No estimated bills because your meter will provide electricity use data in 15-minute intervals. You’ll also have access to your household energy use information through an online portal, an important tool to help you understand your electricity usage and better manage your bills. If you’re a renter, transferring your account can happen faster.

In the future, we’ll let you know about dynamic pricing options that will be available to you, including time-of-use rates that can help you save money. Other future benefits may include billing dates customized to your budget and text alerts on outages or if your electricity usage is running high.

Your advanced digital meter will give you choices you can’t get with an old analog meter. It also helps Hawai‘i achieve its clean energy future by enabling us to integrate more renewable resources on the electric grid. You’ll be one of more than 100 million customers in Hawai‘i and across the U.S. who are already enjoying the benefits of this proven technology.

Before we schedule installations in your neighborhood, we’ll send you a notification by email, postal mail, or phone call. You don’t need to be home for the upgrade, but we will need safe, unobstructed access to your meter.
We believe in customer choice, so you don’t have to get an advanced meter if you don’t want one. If you want information on how to opt out or if you have questions about this letter or about advanced meters, please visit hawaiianelectric.com/advancedmeters.

Mahalo for your attention and consideration. "

A FREE upgrade? I'm suspicious. If the thing is free then I'm the product.

Also, I'm surprised at getting the email because my house already has a smart meter.  Maybe it's not smart enough?  I don't have any of the "advanced features" they promise.
We got one of those a few years ago because one of the meter readers was afraid of our cream puff dog. I think it means that they don't need a person to enter your property to read the meter, which should result in reduction of costs to the consumer. Right?
Certainty will be the death of us.
(06-30-2022, 01:05 AM)kalianna Wrote: We got one of those a few years ago because one of the meter readers was afraid of our cream puff dog.  I think it means that they don't need a person to enter your property to read the meter, which should result in reduction of costs to the consumer.  Right?
Hah! Actually it means if you don’t get one, you may pay an extra fee on you bill. Most places I am familiar with charged ten bucks or so per month.
This is an upgrade to the meter you have. I have one at my place in Ohio and it alerts me when there is an outage and I can monitor my usage.
  I'm buying stock in tinfoil !!
your meter will provide electricity use data in 15-minute intervals

To anyone who purchases this information, presumably.
Obie, how does the meter alert you? Is it communicating with your phone?
Certainty will be the death of us.
I don't know what HELCO is planning, but my mom in the UK has one for both gas and electricity and they give you a small device you can set anywhere in the house and it tells you exactly how much you are being charged every 30 minutes. I'm not going to go into the pros and cons plus my tin-foil hat needs an upgrade, but it's actually very useful for figuring out costs, and, if you want to be frugal, what you need to do less of.
Assumes that the smart meters are actually smart.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/j...at-britain
(06-30-2022, 07:07 AM)kalianna Wrote: Obie, how does the meter alert you?  Is it communicating with your phone?

I get a text message. The meter comunicates with smarthub and smarthub alerts me.