Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Astronomy in Hawaii under threat?
This thread is about astronomy. Not covid. Not EV's. Not orchards on Mauna Kea. Tell it to your Facebook page.
Hear, Hear!
Has anyone been to 'Umi Heiau between Mauna Loa and Hualalai?  It's a Hawaiian sacred site constructed in the 1500's.  Is it still visited and used by native practitioners?

The geometry of the Ahu a Umi Heiau is arranged so as to align, astronomically and directionally, with the moon, the sun, the stars, and an imposing mountain (Mauna Kea) top. The arrangement is meaningful in the context of the astronomical knowledge of the ancient Hawaiians embodied in the Hawaiian star compass-calendar and the ancient rituals.
https://hilo.hawaii.edu/maunakea/library...?view=3034

Eventually, King ‘Umi united Hawai‘i Island, becoming the reigning ali‘i-ai-moku and the religious authority.
From 1510 to 1525, King ‘Umi governed his lands justly. ‘Umi’s royal bloodline remained unbroken for several hundred years, making it the longest unbroken bloodline to ever rule Hawai‘i Island.
https://keolamagazine.com/culture/king-umis-legacy/
"Has anyone been to 'Umi Heiau between Mauna Loa and Hualalai?  It's a Hawaiian sacred site constructed in the 1500's.  Is it still visited and used by native practitioners?"

I haven't and have no idea if native practitioners go there.

HOTPE - can you do everyone a favor and not keep changing fonts in your posts?
HOTPE, Please keep posting as you like .. I hope you can ignore your rude neighbor. My gut feeling is i don't think anyone here has a technical problem with your postings or links.

Opinions ??? LOL .. peace on the street..

aloha, 'e
not keep changing fonts in your posts?

Sometimes it’s because I can’t change fonts or font size.  Punaweb default is one font/size, when I cut & paste it’s often another.  On one or two of my devices I can’t unify the two because the drop down choices fall into the selected/shaded area, and then can’t be selected.
(08-08-2022, 05:08 PM)HereOnThePrimalEdge Wrote: not keep changing fonts in your posts?

Sometimes it’s because I can’t change fonts or font size.  Punaweb default is one font/size, when I cut & paste it’s often another.  On one or two of my devices I can’t unify the two because the drop down choices fall into the selected/shaded area, and then can’t be selected.

Its the same font.

Your device auto converts copied and pasted text to italics.

Can highlight and click the i button next to bold to reverse it.
Its the same font.
It’s not.  TomK noticed the fonts were different, and I explained why they were different.

Your device auto converts copied and pasted text to italics.
Mine doesn’t.  I do that manually.
I'm surprised I haven't seen any.

Ten Meter Telescope (TMT) is motivated by the patriarchy's attempts at overcompensating.

Journalistic pieces.

I guess the patriarchy isn't big enough in hawaii to push those mainland angles here.
(08-08-2022, 05:08 PM)HereOnThePrimalEdge Wrote: not keep changing fonts in your posts?

OK, thanks. The problem then goes to whoever responds and they get the same font (it's happened to me a few times), but if it's not deliberate then fair play.

PS. When I have the same issue I copy and paste the text to a simple text editor and then copy and paste that to PW. It gets rid of the formatting. It's a pain but not really that much work.