Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Squatters?
Last year, a couple decided to squat in a friend's house in Leilani. When he found out (it was a second house he owned) he called the police and the police went and talked to the squatters. They stated that they were renting from some lady and that she was "out of town". the police said that they had to believe them and would not throw them out despite the real owner showing that he was the only registered owner of the property! A few days later, the police went back and gave the squatters 8 hours to move out. In the process, they removed drywall, tore out all the wiring and fixtures, including stealing windows and doors.
I don't think that horror stories are what Aaron needs to hear right now. Hoping for the best for you, AaronM.
Certainty will be the death of us.
(12-17-2022, 07:34 PM)kalianna Wrote: I don't think that horror stories are what Aaron needs to hear right now.  Hoping for the best for you,  AaronM.

I don't know that they are horror stories.  Being aware of the potential might be helpful to some people.

I've heard first-hand accounts of a couple of "evictions" from some neighbors here in Orchidland.  I was going to share them but I don't want to give anybody bad ideas.
(12-17-2022, 05:05 AM)AaronM Wrote: Thank you everyone, lots of great advice.

From the pictures I was sent, they broke a window so the B&E angle should work.

I had a premonition(and our return date is uncertain) so all the valuables like hard drives, documents, tools, etc. went into the storage unit.  After today's appointment with the oncologist and a trip to the billing department,  I am inclined to hope they burn the place down so I can collect the insurance money!  Although there is probably some loophole that the insurance company would use. 

At any rate I will try to post updates, whatever they may be.
Storage unit?  Is this like a sea container on your property or a rented storage unit in town?

just wondering.

Ccat
Shipping containers can only keep out honest people. Look at the place in Hilo that stores expensive cars. They put them on top of the shipping containers, not inside them. They make it a matter of logistics rather than one of security.
(12-19-2022, 02:40 AM)terracore Wrote: Shipping containers can only keep out honest people.  Look at the place in Hilo that stores expensive cars.  They put them on top of the shipping containers, not inside them.  They make it a matter of logistics rather than one of security.
Where would that be?  The cars wouldn't be protected from the elements on top of a container.
The place on Railroad in Hilo. I think Uhaul?
I had a car stored there for a year and I didn't see any cars on containers. I had a bigger problem with my car cover disintegrating and the car rusting.
(12-19-2022, 05:17 PM)terracore Wrote: The place on Railroad in Hilo.  I think Uhaul?
Correct.  I happened to go by there today and noticed two small sports cars on top of containers.  They're also under a roof.
Perhaps this was just a strategy to more efficiently use the space there.
Ccat - storage unit up in Shipman. The only way I'd trust a container to be secure is if it was buried.