Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawaiian tel internet has to be reset after power outage.
I do not have that problem with Hawaiian Telcom. Power out internet stops. Power back internet starts up after several minutes. I rarely manual reset, less than once per year.
I have the new Hawaiian Tel Fiber internet but I am not using their modem. Internet comes right back after a power outage.
(02-05-2023, 12:32 AM)terracore Wrote: There are a lot of things that could potentially cause this to happen.  Is your computer ethernet or wifi?  And do all devices have the same problem?  Like can you get to the web site with your phone (connected to the same network, not using cellular) but not your computer or vice versa?

It's wifi and no, I didn't try other devices, just my windows laptop. Next time it happens I'll try my phone as well as I normally have it set to be connected to my home network and let you know. If I'm bored at some point, I might just replicate things by unplugging the modem and router and seeing what happens when everything is plugged back in.
Since most outages are seconds or only a few minutes, get a small, $80 UPS system and connect the little fiber box and your router to it. Mine is a APC 600 and it lasts about 45 minutes.
(02-05-2023, 02:40 AM)macuu222 Wrote: I have the new Hawaiian Tel Fiber internet but I am not using their modem. Internet comes right back after a power outage.

Do you mean modem, modem/router, or router? I'd like to stop paying their "rent" myself.

My only fear is that when there is an outage and I call "tech support" they will hit a dead end somewhere between "is it plugged in?" and "is your caps lock key on?" and say, "sorry, you'll have to call tech support for whoever sold you the router" when the problem is somewhere upstream from me.

Back before fiber we had DSL and it went out, we went through their ridiculous checklist of stupid questions to establish the problem wasn't inside the house, and they said it would be 10-14 days before they could send someone out.  At the end of that window a technician called me and asked me to try my internet.  It worked!  He explained that there was nothing wrong with our DSL, somebody had accidentally assigned our "port" to someone else.  They didn't come to our house and they could have fixed it weeks prior, we just had to wait our turn for a technician.  I wonder if they can get away with that now after taking all the FCC money.
This clip is a bit dated, but it's a classic from The IT Crowd:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rksCTVFtjM4

Enjoy!
Wahine

Lead by example
"Do you mean modem, modem/router, or router? I'd like to stop paying their "rent" myself."

Actually I meant I don't have their fiber optic router (the one they rent to you for an extra $10.00 a month). I have the ONT modem box and I use my own router. I get 100 down and up....it comes right back after a power failure.
I just bought the Cyberpower unit with the most capacity.
How does the modem box connect to the router, gigabit Ethernet?
Telcom ONT are longwave (1330nm/1550nm IIRC) fiber in, gigabit + POTS copper out. Power consumption is 4W. My business-class service doesn't use the POTS port.

APC UPS <= 600W have a single 12V SLA battery inside. Connect an AGM wheelchair battery instead, and you can run your internet for several hours.