Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Popeyes Hiring
McDonald's seems to have no trouble building and staffing their locations.
McDonald's has experience dealing with Hawaii County and Popeye's doesn't.

Popeye's was delayed because of building permit problems along with Domino's and O Reilly's.

Luquin's new place in Hilo is only open after 3:00 because they can't get people to work there. Luquin's needs people who can actually prepare and cook food.
Popeye's was delayed because of building permit problems along with Domino's and O Reilly's.

This is where I'm confused. I thought the whole point of paying premium rent for brand-new class-A retail space was that permitting would be simplified.

Meanwhile on Oahu, a local business managed to convert an Outback Steakhouse in a matter of weeks. Unlike Luquin's 2 or Coco Cantina 2. Maybe it's an Oahu thing.

https://www.khon2.com/local-news/local-r...-industry/
McDonald's has experience dealing with Hawaii County and Popeye's doesn't.

And experience with other dawdling entities. I've told this story before.  When working in a new McDonald's on Maui's west side many years ago, the West Coast rep insisted to the Hawaii manager that they get the store open without delay.  The Hawaii manager said the electrical hookup wasn't scheduled for some weeks.  The West Coast guy suggested they offer MECO some "Courtesy Coupons."  They were connected by the end of the week.
(04-17-2023, 07:22 PM)HereOnThePrimalEdge Wrote: McDonald's has experience dealing with Hawaii County and Popeye's doesn't.

And experience with other dawdling entities. I've told this story before.  When working in a new McDonald's on Maui's west side many years ago, the West Coast rep insisted to the Hawaii manager that they get the store open without delay.  The Hawaii manager said the electrical hookup wasn't scheduled for some weeks.  The West Coast guy suggested they offer MECO some "Courtesy Coupons."  They were connected by the end of the week.

Were the "courtesy coupons" redeemable at a "hostess bar" ?
the "courtesy coupons" redeemable 

Unfortunately I’ll never know. I wasn’t smart enough to delay my part of the job so I could find out!
After plodding thru the county's epic permitting site I found this information !

(1-Permit) TENANT IMPROVEMENT TO UNIT J3 (3000SF) "POPEYES" RESTAURANT WITH DRIVE THRU - ORDER/SERVICE COUNTER, DINING WITH JANITOR CLOSET(MOP SINK), ADA-COMPATIBLE RESTROOMS - MEN'S(LAVATORY, WATER CLOSET), WOMEN'S(LAVATORY, WATER CLOSET), PREP AREA WITH

Applied Date 09/14/2020
PermitIssued Date 01/13/2022
CompletedFinalized Date 04/04/2023

And this !
NEW McDONALD'S BUILDING LOCATED ON PAD "G" OF PUNA KAI SHOPPING CENTER. NEW SHELL/STRUCTURE TO INCLUDE DRIVE THRU MENU BOARDS WITH SPEAKERS, CUSTOMER SERVICE AREA WITH POS, DINING/SEATING AREA WITH BEVERAGE AREA, WOMEN & MEN'S RESTROOMS, KITCHEN, CREW ALCOVE, CREW ROOM, MANAGERS AREA, COOLER, FREEZER, AIR CONDITIONING
Applied Date 03/12/2020
PermitIssued Date 12/11/2020
CompletedFinalized Date 07/09/2021
The extended period to review and issue the building permit to Popeye's isn't an isolated incident. The county took two years to review and issue the (under construction) Kona Safeway gas station's building permit. That information is listed under EPIC also.

The Kailua-Kona McDonald's have a lot of issues with staffing. The two restaurants in this area are constantly looking for people. Its gotten to the point a lot of these fast food places have closed the enclosed restaurant portion and only do drive through on this side
The Pahoa McDonalds has a dining area but ordering is "kiosk only". There is nobody staffing the counter. When they give you the wrong order you have to walk into the kitchen to get somebody to help you. So imagine the unwashed public going into the McDonalds kitchen without hair nets etc because they put the wrong order in the bag. Yeah, that was me shedding all over your food. Gross!
Fast food is called fast because it gets into your face faster than if you cooked yourself.
It also spends your money faster than if you cooked yourself.
It also kills you faster than if you cooked yourself.
Fast, indeed.