Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.4 Average
Seen any good movies lately?
Many in the UK lost faith in McCartney. We knew the Beatles would never get back together after these:

https://youtu.be/gVfaf43W9cM
https://youtu.be/Plhtk_XJqhM
I don't care for his solo work.
The people who lament the lack of a reunion are the ones who lost sight of how lucky were are that this supergroup ever formed at all.

Each member could and did lead their own bands and the fact that they worked together for so long is remarkable.
HOTPE, your "description" of "5th Beatle" reminded me

Thank you HiloJulie!  I enjoyed that video very much. As one of the many, many, many 5th Beatles (and self appointed) I always enjoy hearing the lads play, including their solo work.  McCartney had a vast post-Beatles catalog which included a good share of brilliant composing and performance.  Band on the Run, the album?  Maybe I’m Amazed, the song?  Etc, etc.

Listen to his bass playing, it’s like lower octave lead guitar.  My son was never a big Beatles fan, but when we were driving around a few years ago listening to his Spotify account, I can’t tell you how many times he exclaimed, “Paul McCartney is a genius!”
Glad you enjoyed it HOTPE!

"......many 5th Beatles (and self appointed)"

As for me, back in 1969, had I been 10 years older, lived in New York City, knew how to take photographs and was 250 times better looking that I am - I know in my heart and mind that I would have been the FIRST Mrs. Paul McCartney!

Fortunately, (except for me) that did not happen, and we got to know and love the beautiful Linda!

"McCartney had a vast post-Beatles catalog which included a good share of brilliant composing and performance.  Band on the Run, the album?  Maybe I’m Amazed, the song?  Etc, etc."

Interesting to note that Paul wrote "Maybe I'm Amazed" as a tribute to Linda for helping him through a tremendous depression following the breakup of the Beatles.

OK - Just one more Beatles plug and I'll shut up!

Does anyone remember the 1967 BBC Broadcast of "Our World?" 

My just almost 10-year-old self sure does! At around 2PM in my parents' Midwest home at the time.

You can read all about it here - but the first 2 paragraphs are:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_World_...V_program)
  • Our World was the first live multinational multi-satellite television production. National broadcasters from fourteen countries around the world, coordinated by the European Broadcasting Union (EBU), participated in the program. The two-hour event, which was broadcast on Sunday 25 June 1967[a] in twenty-four countries, had an estimated audience of 400 to 700 million people, the largest television audience up to that date. Four communications satellites were used to provide a worldwide coverage, which was a technological milestone in television broadcasting.
  • Creative artists, including opera singer Heather Harper, film director Franco Zeffirelli, conductor Leonard Bernstein, sculptor Alexander Calder and painter Joan Miró were invited to perform or appear in separate live segments, each of them produced by one of the participant broadcasters. The most famous segment is one from the United Kingdom starring the Beatles performing their song "All You Need Is Love" for the first time.
Below is the link to that performance done at none other than Abby Road Studios. It was broadcast as sort of a documentary as to how George Martin and the Beatles recorded their music by recording various tracks - rewinding the tape and recording more tracks - over and over again and again.

My favorite line from the narrator when the orchestra is brought into the studio:

"You'll notice the Musicians are not rock and roll youngsters; the Beatles get on best with symphony men!"

Broadcast worldwide and for the first time on Sunday June 25th, 1967:

"All You Need Is Love"

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5ryqa8

(It may bitch if you have an adblocker, but the site is safe)

PS: Although in black and white and grainy as hell but watch closely and you will see very baby-faced members of the Rolling Stones, Eric Clapton, Marianne Faithfull, Keith Moon and Graham Nash!
Our World was the first live multinational multi-satellite television production

Yes! Saw it! All You Need Is Love, the perfect song for that moment in time.
(07-16-2023, 08:52 PM)AaronM Wrote: The people who lament the lack of a reunion are the ones who lost sight of how lucky were are that this supergroup ever formed at all.

Each member could and did lead their own bands and the fact that they worked together for so long is remarkable.

It was hardly a case of lamenting that the Beatles wouldn't get back together, it's that McCartney went off on such a bizarre tangent that he lost credibility.
I hear what both Aaron and Tom are saying.

But remember, when the Beatles broke up, there was all sorts of turmoil and opinions about why, how, and the future without them as a group and now off on their own and reuniting or not.

One could say they all went a bit bizarre for a while. Hell, some even blamed the Apollo 13 incident because of the breakup! (They announced the breakup the day after the launch and Mission Control radioed the crew on their way to the moon before the incident and informed them)

Unfortunately, we lost John way way way to damn early.

Then George. But he had a good run afterwards.

All we got left now is Ringo and Paul.

And you have to admit, we were/are fortunate to have been able to live and be part of the Beatles and each one individually in our lifetimes.

One of the most striking comments on the In Performance at the White House I posted, during President Obama's speech awarding Paul the Gershwin Prize, he stated:

"Paul McCartney composed hundreds of songs over the years. With John Lennon and with others or on his own, nearly 200 of those songs made the charts. Think about that. And stayed on the charts for a cumulative total of 32 years."

That was in 2010. Were now 13 years later - and Paul is still going!

At any event, "All We Need Is Love!"
How is this relevant to Hawaii?
Certainty will be the death of us.
Just a wiki for TomK Et al.

https://punaweb.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=22996&page=3

Zeppelin for the win ..✌
eta for emoji...

'e.out