Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Puna Sure has Changed
Lightbulb 
I see so much less news content about Puna being the crazy wild west. Property values have doubled easily. Ocean front properties that were selling for $500k pre-Covid are selling for nearly $2M in lava zone 2 and 3.

I say good for Puna. I remember after some big shooting several years ago, a lady made this quote, "it's not a Park, and it sure as hell ain't Paradise". It always struck me as a funny quote. Now it seems that Puna is getting better. Better shopping. Better food.

I think for holiday and new years wishes, we should hope for more of the same coming out of Puna. Better Internet. Better policing. Better roads. Better neighbors. Which neighborhoods get gold stars this past couple of years for improvements? I vote for HPP.

Best Wishes my Friends!!!
I agree, and yet I think it's all kind of silly considering Pele can visit whenever she wants. Carpe diem!
One of the biggest catalysts for a lot of these changes isn't recognized by a lot of people- the FCC grants that brought gigabit speeds to most of Puna. Actually, all of Puna, because Starlink also got some of that FCC pie. People talk about the COVID transplants etc but most of them wouldn't have moved here if they couldn't get the reliable high speed internet that wasn't available just months prior.

This LZ2 insurance debacle has me concerned. We know a lot of people who don't know what they are going to do because they can't afford the quotes they are getting, and nobody wants to buy their houses and get stuck with the same problem. I know one family that decided to go the uninsured route, but most people need mortgages and can't do that. And what happens if it spreads, and the insurance industry decides to give LZ3 the LZ2 treatment? Most of us live here because there isn't anywhere else in Hawaii we can afford. Caveat emptor!
Lava zone 3 is where a majority lives. It includes all of Hilo. I can't see the insurance companies raising lava zone 3 rates when they haven't incurred any losses in lava zone 3.

I originally bought in lava zone 2 but I had studied the lava zones and the area and rolled the dice. I had 18 years in a wonderful neighborhood. I also had a house in Utah that was paid off and I tapped into the equity to buy here.

The caveat emptor should be to listen to the USGS.