Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bad caretaker, advise welcomed
Even good caretakers can become so attached to a living situation they start thinking of it as their birthright. I've seen this with others and experienced it myself.
Needless to say, you should have booted him long ago. Perhaps you could offer him 30 days and $250 or 15 days with $500.
In any case, I like the idea of being courteous but also offering a bribe. This guy is very bad news-must get him out ASAP.
Dobanion, please let us know how you handle this. Good luck.
Certainty will be the death of us.
(06-12-2024, 08:45 PM)MyManao Wrote: Any thoughts..

SWAT the place. Repeatedly.

I don't think suggesting Dobanion commit a federal felony that could, at a minimum, land him in jail for up to 5 years is really sound intelligent advice.

But then also consider, if the SWAT call is convincing enough in that HPD responds with overwhelming force and one trigger happy cop happens to accidently kill the SWATTED occupant, well your suggestion could land Dobanion in jail for the rest of his life.

This is what high school kids do for clicks and likes on YouTube/Insta/TicToc.
Thanks for the advise everyone. This little conversation is still about two weeks off, so I'll advise how it goes then.
This is a question for someone who has more knowledge than I have on the subject.  We know that in a landlord-tenant agreement the landlord has very limited options, and those options are expensive.  But is a caretaker, having paid no money and having no lease agreement, treated the same as a tenant under the law?
(06-13-2024, 05:42 PM)My 2 cents Wrote: This is a question for someone who has more knowledge than I have on the subject.  We know that in a landlord-tenant agreement the landlord has very limited options, and those options are expensive.  But is a caretaker, having paid no money and having no lease agreement, treated the same as a tenant under the law?

AFAIK Hawaii law allows oral contracts to establish tenancy.  If no specific term is agreed upon, the tenancy is typically considered month-to-month. Terminating a month-to-month tenancy requires the landlord to provide at least 45 days' notice, and the tenant must give 28 days' notice if they wish to leave.
So, to protect myself legally, I should make it 45 days notice to vacate and not 30? I can deal with that.
(06-12-2024, 08:45 PM)MyManao Wrote: Any thoughts..

SWAT the place. Repeatedly.

I should clarify this...

When I first read the OP I assumed, right or wrong, that all the coddling in the world wouldn't do a thing except embroil dobanion in something that could only lead to grief. In other words waste time and lead to an uncomfortable situation. Maybe I am wrong? After all the other approach suggesting kindness and such may work. My problem is I have never seen it happen that way.

So, all told, I agree, give the guy a chance to do what's right. Tell him your life has changed and you want to make use of the place yourself, and be grateful when he agrees. Sheesh, maybe he's already come to the same conclusion in his own life and is, as we speak, planning on moving on himself.

One can hope, right?

Though I am more prone to assume he'll resist and have all sorts of excuses.. and if he does, I strongly recommend some version of a firm and persuasive action that gets the result you want in short order..
Guys there is a comma after "caretaker".
(06-13-2024, 09:25 PM)Punatang Wrote: Guys there is a comma after "caretaker".
Now that you've noticed, feel free to edit your first post.  Big Grin     

Hey, isn't there supposed to be a comma after Guys?