Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Awesome Getaway
I have to plug this place.

After almost two years on our remodel, and with family here to visit, my wife decided it was time to relax. Hilton Waikoloa Village, North of Kona. There aren't enough stars on the scale to describe this place. Resident rate under $150 per night, with a view split between ocean and golf course. Lovely room, king bed, multiple pools, great resaurants, and fun shopping. Got to check out the dolfins. Minutes to local beaches with wonderful swimming and boogy boarding. The last night, we dined at Kamuela Provision Company, out on the point. Asked for and got the furthest table out, nearest the surf. Sunset. Perfect service. A butter smooth chardonnay and the best bouillabaisse I've ever had. Wondered what could be better until we noticed the nearly constant parade of passing whales.

Oh man, Brad...sounds like paradise. We're going over in a couple of weeks to stay at the Holua Resort in Kona, but we spent a day on the beach there at the Waikoloa Hilton...very, very nice.

Carrie

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx

http://www.hellophoenix.com/art/dreamhawaii.Cfm
Carrie

http://www.carrierojo.etsy.com
http://www.vintageandvelvet.blogspot.com

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head..." U2
Let us know how that is, we've wondered. We lucked out for our trip and got a trusted aquaintance to dog sit, but, alas, she's headed back to the mainland. We'd love to trade those duties with someone here, but it's tough to find anyone as doggy as us.

We're as "doggy" as you. You should bring your pooches by sometime to see how they get along with ours. We have a fenced acre in HPP and three dogs, might work out that they could have a place to hang out when you need to get away. Also, I'm interested to hear how all of your cabinet problems worked out, and I hope I'll get to see your finished house.
Aloha,
Mark

Hey Mark, great to hear from you. Didn't realize you were quite that doggy - I'm sure we can work this out. Thank you.

The cabinets turned into a nightmare. We have the issue nearly resolved, almost a year later, after being inches from a lawsuit. I'll just say, think twice before buying cabinets from Home Depot and Thomasville.

I've got the cement floors all leveled (6700 pounds of topping mix, one 60 pound bag at a time) and the tile down in the living room. Stop by and check it out.

Sorry to hear about your cabinet package not working out for you. You would think that when you pay the extra money to get quality cabinets you wouldn't have to deal with such issues. I just installed a Kraftmaid package that was purchased through Home Depot on one of my projects, and there were surprisingly few issues(wrong hinges on one door, and one door face frame popped like most of yours did). I guess I lucked out on this one. Most of the issues I run into in the field are design issues, dimensions not working out when it comes time to install. Unfortunately for you it was quite the opposite, I've never seen anything like the way your cabinets were popping apart.
6700 lbs. of topping mix?? That's insane! I knew your floors were bad, but wow! That's why whenever someone asks me about going with a slab for their new home, I always stress the importance of the preparation of the pad. Your house is a textbook example of poor pad preparation. But in the end, your months and months of hard work will be beutiful, then you can concern yourself with more important things like making your next tee time.
Aloha,
Mark

The more measurements I took on these floors, the worse they got. I've never even heard of two inches of fall in ten feet, unless I was constructing a roof. This was supposedly a custom home. And it's clear they built the thing on a bad pour - not like it settled. In any case, come by, be thirsty. Thanks again for your help.

If anyone needs a craftsman, Mark is your guy. He's helped me a ton. He completely knows his stuff, has the consideration to arrive on time, and works his heart out. On my job, he came in under budget.