Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Volcano acting up
quote:
On my flight to hilo by ATA i had a fascinating conversation with my seatmate who was from Santa Rosa, ca. she told me that she is one of the last three owners of property at royal gardens and that occassionally the perimeter of her gardens get burnt with the ever changing lava conditions.....hopefully nothing drammatically has happened to the last three structures and the inhabitants....she told me she only goes there 1-2 times yearly for monthly long stays and the other two live there year round, one actually has a b&b set up and helicopters his guests in....talk about living life on the edge.

I was planning on visiting the last time, but afterviewing the lavaflow got way off course and didn't want to take another hour trip uphill to visit the subdivision late into the evening. Hopefully someone is checking in on them since cell phone service is pretty spotty in that area.

noel

about the house in Royal Gardens that does a Bed & Breakfast. Have you seen the place before? If I remember correctly these people charge $500.00 a night to stay at their "accident waiting to happen". From the air it's breath taking. But what if you need to be airlifted rather quickly?

-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!
I have been called Greg all my life, no problem. Anyone know how close this latest "breakout" is to Hwy 11? And how could this be flowing Northeast....isn't that uphill? I pictured 11 on top of the rift and everything below it downslope. I must have that wrong.

Glen (or any other name that begins with "G", I've heard them all).

quote:
about the house in Royal Gardens that does a Bed & Breakfast. Have you seen the place before? If I remember correctly these people charge $500.00 a night to stay at their "accident waiting to happen". From the air it's breath taking. But what if you need to be airlifted rather quickly?

That house was on HGTV's Extreme Homes! I guess if I wanted to stay there I would probably ask how long it takes the helio to get there if lava heads that directions! ha ha
Greg wrote
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Insurance companies refused to pay anything unless a home burned.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The prevalent belief now among historians is that most of the fires from the San Francisco Earthquake was set by the owners since the insurance companies wouldn't pay for earthquake damages.
so back to the topic - the map is only to Aug 1 - how close is it to the backside (east side) of Gloomwood and HA/FA ?

well, according to KGMB news coverage last night, the only current concern is whether the flow will set off more forest carnage ... it is still in either Federal or State forest reserve land (I forget which).

They said this current river of lava is already showing signs of petering out. It is not gathering force to march on lower Puna just yet.

It's flowing NE from the Pu'u O'o vent, unless I totally misunderstood the report (always a possibility).

When i hiked there in june, my intent was to visit my friend and check out the b&b her friend was running, she said it was the most unique home ever made with lots of old ohias and koa wood and discarded materials....i was too awstruck with lava pooling all over various pools and by the time i decided to head closer uphill it was past twightlight....its really amazing how easily you can loose your sense of direction with no mile markers/signs of where you are and where your going and theres just miles and miles of raw lava....fortunately there was still enough light to spot the smaller parking lot.....

hopefully those homes are still there and eventually have the treat of seeing this home in person since the owner is a neighbor of the person i met and she was very enthusiastic about introducing her friend, it would be a one of a kind experience.

saw a big thing on the big news channels last night....was this heading northwest to glennwood/HA areas and in state property at this point?

Hi, All!

Here is the link (http://www.kgmb.com/kgmb/display.cfm?storyID=12153) to the story KathyH mentioned.

Someone get Pele some gin, quick!
Aloha!

Does anyone know if you can see the lava flowing from the end of S. Glenwood Rd? If not, anywhere you can see it from at night?
I think the name of the B&B was Red Roof Lava Club. It has been featured on a lot of adventure travel shows. I just tried to find a website for it and all the links I found were broken. A google search for it did find a John Pillsbury, age 54, owner of Red Roof Lava Travel in Mnt View in the Obits for 2003. I am guessing this was the owner as he looked to be late 40s early 50s in the few TV shows I saw him on.

Atlanta/Pahoa
Atlanta/Pahoa