Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Volcano acting up
When we decided to buy here we realized it was a very real possibility that lava could flow down here (ergo Lava Zone 2) and burn our house. Lava moves slow and we can get outta the way. The lava burning my house scenario sucks, and I don't worry too much about it (and hey, you're in HPP so that's even further away).

Anyone know how many actual miles the flow that looks like a big finger actually IS from HWY? I can't tell from the map.

Oh yeah Glen - heeeheeehee....fragrant skinny guy and no one tried to dismember you...ROFLMAO!!!! You are so funny!

Carrie

"All I can say about life is, Oh God, enjoy it." Bob Newhart

Carrie

http://www.carrierojo.etsy.com
http://www.vintageandvelvet.blogspot.com

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head..." U2
I kind of think of myself as a snoring giant living next to a nest of fire ants, but I get your point. And believe me, you won't catch me poking her in the eye....or anywhere else. Of course, you never know when a fire breathing mountain is going to take offense. I just can't be responsible for the entire district, as much as I would like to be. I don't take rocks home, and scrupulously wash off the black sand. I've given her rum (didn't have gin) and coconuts, and plumeria and have thrown myself on her flanks so many times they are not just black, they're blue, too.

Well, we shall see. It does appear that all of these fearsome things that keep the Mauai people away (who are all from Orange County, by the eway), do actually exist, and that we need to keep an eye on them. It is fear mixed with fascination.

The lava finger doesn't spook me too much, and I don't think it is going to reach out and touch any of my friends, but I do think about when it just exploded around Kapoho. Really, it can pop up anywhere at all.

And can anyone tell me why the most gorgeous areas in Puna are all in Lava Zone 2?

Carolann we to were aware of the possibility of lava consuming our home in our lifetime. And I have no problem on that account we don’t even need lava insurance to collect on our loss. I understand when the lava gets to within 50-100 feet of your home your home simply bursts into flames and will burn to the ground.
You then collect your insurance money and build a new home somewhere else.
My issue is that if the only access to our area is blocked and we have to evacuate our neighborhood we can’t collect a penny because you have no loss.
(Royal Hawaiian Gardens) Everyone in the effected area looses his or her investment and most of us can’t afford to build or buy somewhere else as in the burst into flames scenario.
Therefore, the second issue with the government is the second access road in lower Puna. I know it's something that Rob Tucker has been working on for a long time and it seems that it is a very important issue now that the lava is creeping down the hill.

Edited by - kahunascott on 08/19/2007 15:52:46
If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it cost when it’s free...now here come the taxes.....
Regarding the posts about the state not interfering with the lava flow due to liability, etc. I wonder what population density must be threatened before the state would act. What about if Hilo is threatened again, or Kona? (I realize Kilauea doesn't threaten them, but they aren't on extint volcanoes either.)

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
My impression from reading about the Kapoho and Kalapana breakouts is that there really isn't a lot you can do when Pele is really popping. All you can do is move the church and hope she doesn't reclaim one of the most beautiful black sand beaches in the world. Hilo is in Zone 3 and the lava has come very close before. The thing that amazes me is that Mauna Loa is NOT an inactive volcano. Really, anything can happen. The island is a powder keg of unpleasant possibilities. That's why land is more expensive on Kauai (and why we have to subsidize their hurricane insurance!).

Anyway, I am not saying that they shouldn't try to protect populations, but then we get into the arguments that people had after Katrina: "What are those people doing living there ANYWAY??". I think the state's response will be along those lines.

Is the lava anywhere near Royal Hawaiian Gardens??

Whew. My (admittedly unsolicited) advice?
Enjoy the moment, All.
And relax.

We (in the vicinity of Kilauea) have all got a far greater chance of being launched into the Great Unknown by a clogged artery in our heads/legs/hearts than we'll ever have being swallowed up by Pele.

Whatever's gonna happen with her lava's gonna happen with her lava. But I'll bet you your house, your lot, your mutual funds, and your off-shore oil-rigs that not a single one of us is gonna just plain up and die as a result of lava.

Now.
That said.
All bets are off for anyone straight downhill from Mauna Loa or Hualalai.

That is one steep high-speed incline/(decline). Wouldn't suprise me in the slightest if people lost it in their sleep and/or SUVs on that side one day down the line.

It's all a crap shoot, folks.

You can play the game in Minnesota (and die of a stroke shoveling snow), Memphis (and die of heatstroke within sight of a 5-star hotel), or geeez...I dunno....Iraq.

Keep your wits about you, decide what's/who's most important to you on a moment to moment basis, and hmmm...I dunno...heed Mitzi's wise advice regarding being as sizzlingly sweet as one can possibly be to one's planetmates.

Can't hurt.

If you live in lower Puna, your home is going to be covered with lava sometime within the next several hundred years. We can only hope that it happens in 200 years rather than one. I don't think we know enough about lava diversion for it to work. The bombing attempts mentioned earlier were ineffective. There are the liability issues, and there are also cultural sensitivity issues. Kilauea is going to keep erupting, and it is up to us to prepare for it, and deal with it. We aren't going to change it.

Greg,
Below are three case within the last 100 years where something was done about the flows so we can change it if we need to.

In order to protect public and private property from being destroyed by lava flows, various plans and actual attempts have been made in the past on volcanoes to stop or divert lava flows, including Mount Etna, Sicily, Italy; Kilauea and Mauna Loa volcanoes, Hawaii, Hawaii,and Eldfell volcano, Heimaey, Vestmannaeyjar, Iceland (Bolt and others, 1977; Blong, 1984;

All three listed below were successful in slowing or diverting the lava.

Here on Hawaii,
On December 27, U.S. Army planes dropped bombs, targeting the lava channels and tubes just below the vents at 2,600 m (8,600 ft). The object was to divert the flow near its source. The results of the bombing were declared a success by Thomas A. Jaggar, Director of the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory.
Jagger wrote that "the violent release of lava, of gas and of hydrostatic pressures at the source robbed the lower flow of its substance, and of its heat." The lava stopped flowing on January 2, 1936. The efficacy of this lava bombing is disputed by some volcanologists, and lava diversion will be the subject of a future Volcano Watch.

Successful Lava Diversion, Etna 1983

Successful Lava-Cooling Operations During the 1973 Eruption of Eldfell Volcano,
Heimaey, Vestmannaeyjar, Iceland
U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 97-724

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it cost when it’s free...now here come the taxes.....
I am with you on the possibility of access to lower Puna being cut-off...(anyone KNOW exactly how far the lava is from the highway?)

I'll say a prayer and ask for strength to get through whatever Pele sends our way.

We can hope that the "escape route" will be put into action soon, but God that one is taking it's time, yeah? I have been to a meeting and have heard about the results of other meetings via Rob and others. Just to get a signal at an intersection or a traffic circle takes forever. Seems like no matter what disaster we are faced with, it's always the same and the community always comes together to help support each other through the tough times. I'm betting that it's that way here, too.

Please know I'm not making light of the lava...it's serious business for sure. I guess I would like to read what the experts have to say about direction, flow and what they can say about the future of Kilauea. Loihi must have some affect on it as well. I wonder if they are being fed by the same source - Carey? Do you know?

Carrie

"All I can say about life is, Oh God, enjoy it." Bob Newhart

Carrie

http://www.carrierojo.etsy.com
http://www.vintageandvelvet.blogspot.com

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head..." U2
Check out the new images at the USGS here:
http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/kilauea/update/images.html

Since they just did an overflight (pictures above), I anticipate they will provide an updated map today or tomorrow. I did see a note from their main volcano guy in a recent news article that he expects the flow to just get wider and spread out a lot, and that he doesn't think it will threaten lower Puna. One thing is that the area near the flow is relatively flat, which means the flow isn't going to move fast at all.
Time is an illusion, but a handy one. Without it, we would not be able to hear sounds, and without that ability, we would have no music.