Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Volcano acting up
It's a fact that Kilauea is the smallest mountain on the island. There's no reason to believe that it won't eventually get as big as the other volcanoes here. If lava diversion works, it would be at best a temporary solution. Lava diverted around Pahoa would eventually put the town in a mile deep hole. I believe the long term way to deal with Pele is doing what the Hawaiians have done for a thousand years; Build modularly and move when the lava comes. Trying to divert lava is, in my opinion, like trying to put a bandaid on an artery.

I've got 2 questions:

1. We like to drive through the old Chain of Craters rd. from the Pahoa side to the very end in the parking lot and then get out and walk. How close is this current flow to that area?

2. If an area has a'a lava will only a'a go over it or could pahoehoe come through & cover it? Sure I spelled those wrong!

Ok, one more question. Last Novemeber we did the hike from the afore mentioned parking lot and went out to see the lava going into the ocean. There was a huge shelf we were above. Is this the same one that collapsed?

Atlanta/Pahoa
Atlanta/Pahoa
As far as 1) it's a few miles up hill. The way to get to the current flow would be the trail at the end of S. Glenwood road, but it's closed. It's about 2 hours fast hiking on a clear day to the forest clearing where you can see Pu'u O'o and probably 30+ more minutes to the new fissures.
As for 2) it can be either, but depends on height of the previous flow. It will just go around it until it builds up and covers it. Look at the cliffs from Kehena and you can see the various layers of a'a and pahoehoe over the years.

HVO just put up a new flow map on their website. Looks like it is ponding right now, at least as of the 17th.

When I open the web cam here in California in the morning, you can clearly see the red lava in the new fissure. When I come over, do you think there might be a place where I can see the glow when its dark? Would I be able to see that from the Glenwood, or the Kalapana area?

Seems to not be moving as quickly. It got the first couple miles very quickly and has been sorta oozing it's way slowly the last week or so.

You can't hike to the current flow right now, in fact you will be arrested if you do, way too dangerous (people have already been arrested for trying).

http://www.state.hi.us/dlnr/chair/pio/Ht...7-N076.htm

I've updated my composite map for the Aug. 17th update and current measurements show the flow to be about 7 miles south west of Pahoa and 4 miles south of Fern Forest and Hawaiian Acres.

http://www.visitingmaui.com/punalavaflow.07.jpg
Steve & Regina
Hawaiian Acres / North Lake Tahoe

'If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there' - George Harrison
Tahunatic: Don't wanna hike to the flow. Just wanna see the glow.

Bless you for this horrifying map!!! That's kind of the information I was looking for. I'm glad; I'm spooked. I'm spooked AND I'm glad. I am, after all, a PUNATIC!

Edited by - glen on 08/20/2007 15:10:08
I have used an image overlay with Google Earth to create these two pictures for perspective. It is better when you can actually rotate the map and all that, but these should give some idea of the topography involved:

http://i13.tinypic.com/5xe1s3a.jpg
http://i19.tinypic.com/5ysjed4.jpg
Time is an illusion, but a handy one. Without it, we would not be able to hear sounds, and without that ability, we would have no music.
Glen, the Bear and I were in the National Park on the 13th, and a ranger told us that the glow was usually visible after dark from the Pu'u Huluhulu overlook. In case you haven't been there before, here are directions:

Take Chain of Craters Road about five miles down to the Mauna Ulu parking area, which is a left turn and is sign posted. Park and go to the far end of the paved area where there is a trail head. There is a sign with a map, but the trail is well marked and fairly easy to follow. The last few hundred yards are a steep climb up to a viewing area.

It is best to go before dark. That way you only have to make the approximately mile and a quarter hike one way in the dark. Of course you will need good flashlights for the return hike. We have been there many times for the Pu'u O'o views and plan to go for the new eruption soon.

BTW. Bear and I have made the hike up to the summit of Mauna Ulu several times. It is stunning! A very deep steaming pit crater, rivers of "frozen" red lava, and fabulous views. Unfortunately the current eruption is not visible from Mauna Ulu. The rangers do not recommend this hike, but neither do they forbid it. Odd, that. Since there is NO marked trail, I would only do this in full DAYLIGHT, and it is another mile and a half beyond Pu'u Huluhulu, making a five to six mile total hike, depending on how much you wander around the summit.

Cheers,
Jerry

Edited by - JerryCarr on 08/20/2007 16:16:51

Edited by - JerryCarr on 08/20/2007 16:18:47

Edited by - JerryCarr on 08/20/2007 16:19:55