Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Been to Kaua'i Lately?
Aloha everyone,

I'm planning to visit Kaua'i for the first time soon and I wonder what sort of things to do/places to go folks could recommend. I'm mostly interested in hiking/camping in natural areas, seeing the wild things where they live, and a little chill time on some quiet beaches. Might be nice to know about good hostels or hotels, and places to eat as well. What advice would you give a free spirited Punatic who wants to stay out of trouble and have some fun on Kaua'i?

Mahalo!
Uluhe Design
Native Landscape Design
uluhedesign@yahoo.com
visit the Kaua'i forum at TripAdvisor. There are a zillion topics along the lines of what you're asking ... and you can post your own too. You will get detailed help from Kaua'i locals and regular visitors.

I take it you won't be taking the Superferry over. : )

Prepare to me amazed. Kaua'i is gorgeous. Why, even the airport is gorgeous (check out the hot hula pictures on your way to pick up your luggage!).

I'll just give you my take. I like the water, so my aventures in Kaua'i have been water-oriented. Last time I went I did a "home exchange" via homeexchange.com. We posted our house in Oceanside online and, to our surprise, were contacted by a man in Princeville who wanted to exchange houses for a week. So we were there over Christmas while he stayed at our place. Before that, I stayed at Sealodge, which I loved. These are private condos in Princeville on a bluff overlooking the Anini reef. The condos are not very large, but breathtaking views are possible and it was very quiet and comfortable. A friend and I hiked down from there to Sealodge Beach (in the blue book, be sure and get that) about an hour after sunrise. There wasn't a soul there, and we had an uninhibited good time swimming and snorkeling (water not as clear as on Big Island, but pretty good snorkeling). We stayed several hours and one other couple showed up. We also hung out at Ke'e, which is my favorite beach in the world (although I haven't really seen that many). It might be too crowded for some, but most people are lounging, and not in the water, so not crowded out there, and not crowded at ALL by Southern California standards. There is a beautiful botanical garden along the way to Ke'e. Highly recommended, but didn't visit personally. Poipu --not for me.

Secret Beach, beautiful, but to my mind, treacherous. Anini is good if you are looking for reliably smooth water (Kaua'i surf can get a little choppy). Queen's Bath, again in Princeville, is a popular adventure to a cliff edge lava rock pool. A lot of people there, but to me it was definetely worth the somewhat challenging hike.

My favorite places to eat (and drink) are Duke's and this little place that is now called Calypso's on the North Shore. Very good food there and the mai tais are incredible. The Iniki is very powerful. I did not care for, what's it called?, Bernache's (?) near Poipu. Everyone else loves it.

I most enjoyed my time at the two little beaches below Princeville, Sealodge Beach and, uh, the other one, where there were remarkably few people, perhaps because you have to hike down to them and the trails are not marked.

Lastly, we kayaked up and then down the River. Unforgettable. The blossoms on the water, the tradewinds. Amazing. My advice: avoid the South, go North. Oh, also, if you like poke, go to Fish Express across from the hospital and Walmart (best Walmart in the world, period). The food there is very authentic.

If you want a "culture break" drop into the Talk Story bookstore in Hanapepe. Some quirky folks trying to live the dream and make a go of it with a used bookstore nowhere near their clientele. Salt Pond Beach is nearby. Lots of locals, nice beach.

quote:
Aloha everyone,

I'm planning to visit Kaua'i for the first time soon and I wonder what sort of things to do/places to go folks could recommend. I'm mostly interested in hiking/camping in natural areas, seeing the wild things where they live, and a little chill time on some quiet beaches. Might be nice to know about good hostels or hotels, and places to eat as well. What advice would you give a free spirited Punatic who wants to stay out of trouble and have some fun on Kaua'i?

Mahalo!

Let me play the 'Devil's Advocate' for a second. Are you going by yourself? Several years back Kauai officials have determined that they had a "Serial Killer" on their hands or should I say Island? The "Serial Killer's" MO, he seemed to favor single middle aged females who were camping on their own in and around Kauai. Was the killer ever caught, as far as I know the answer is NO!

So be very careful if you plans are solo, Mitzi

-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!
I would respectfully differ with Glen on recommending the Blue Book, i.e. the Revealed series, which is responsible, many feel, for wreaking severe damage on some of the most fragile ecosystems in this state, advising people to visit unsafe places, and taking a disrespectful attitude towards private property rights and without much respect for Hawaiian culture either.

The authors have gotten rich on this irresponsible behavior, and I don't believe in supporting them any farther by buying their publicattions. The pictures are good, and you can see them for free at Borders.

Glen, Queen's bath has seen many drownings, and the County of Kaua'i and many locals consider it unsafe. it can seem safe, but waves can take people out coming out of nowhere. Kind of like the Olivine Pools on Maui. Both places where the drownings increased after the Blue Books wrote these spots up!

I wouldn't normally get all high horse about the topic, but I know that Mitzi is very environmentaly conscientious. Many people love the blue books and are not aware of the damage they've caused here.

We love Country Kitchen for breakfast in Kapaa. It's plenty good food for not too much money...local and friendly. It's right on the highway (51?) Mauka.

Duke's has the most amazing treat - hula pie. if you've never had hula pie you haven't lived. Before we ever went to Kauai even the flight attendants recommended it. Be prepared to gain a pound or two! Smile)

We ride motorcycles so always rented on Kauai...very pretty ride to Waimea Canyon...go all the way to the top and you won't believe your eyes.

We were there in July and it's changed a bit...a little more commercial, but still Kauai gorgeous.

The best shave ice in Hawaii is in a little place on the highway in Waimea called "Jo-Jo's." Don't be put off by how rustic it is...very ono.

Enjoy. Wish it was me goin'!

Carrie

"All I can say about life is, Oh God, enjoy it." Bob Newhart

Carrie

http://www.carrierojo.etsy.com
http://www.vintageandvelvet.blogspot.com

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head..." U2
No offense taken at all. Safety first. Two women fell to their death from a trail over the falls last year. The "trail" was listed in the Blue Book, I think. I still consider the Blue Book great, but not a good safety guide. It is fantastic for lodging, restaurants and how to get to particular beaches. I concur with the above, that it is best to not to go to remote places, or snorkel, alone.

Queen's Bath can be over-run, and hit by rogue waves. It was very calm when I was there in October though. Hawaii surf can rise up and claim anyone anytime anywhere.....such as the cliffs in lower Hawaiian Paradise Park.

So we agree on safety. That comes first. Hawaii kills, and Kaua'i gets more than its share of drownings. As an official Hawaiian paranoid, I have seen the drowning map, and you can too, right here: http://www.teok.com/Drownings/drownmap.html

The water can be treacherous there as I noted in my comment. Disagree on the utility of the Blue Book. It's chockful of information.

To be perfectly safe, just hang out at Calypso's and drink mai tais....but avoid the Brazilian Waiter. He's a lady killer (and unintentionallys slays a few men, too).

Edited by - glen on 09/06/2007 11:48:59
hi Mitzi,

since your a gardening buff...my all time favorite is linahuli garden preserve (sp) west of hanalei all native gardens...allerton/lawai/mcbrde in poipu area, then Na-aina Kai in the northeast (private estate)all amazing gardens - the free botanical garden in kapaa is also beautiful to go upcountry to....one of my favorite things to do is rent a kayak and go kayaking up the wailua river and if you follow other kayakers theres a point where everyone lands and takes a hike to an amazing waterfall back country area....just amazing....my other favorite is hiking waimea canyon to the cascading waterfall -its about a 2 hour hike and amazing views of the entire area.

enjoy,

noel

A day (followed by a spectacular sunset!) at (sizzlingly-hot!) Polihale State Park (one of the most gorgeous spots on the planet!)...followed by a couple days of hiking, up in (seriously-chilly!) Kokee State Park (on trails that overlook Na Pali coastline) can be absolute heaven.

You'll need a (cheap) state camping permit for either place...orrrr you might opt to stay in the cabins/Lodge at Kokee. It's been a couple years since I've been there, but the banana pancakes at the restaurant up there were scrummmmptious! (...and I don't even like pancakes!)

Enjoy your trip!

Aloha Mitzi,

It has been about five years since Nora and I visited Kaua'i. When we go back, I think our first stop will be Duane's Ono-Char Burger for their oh-so-tasty Teriyaki Burger. Afterwards, we'll continue up Highway 56 to the end at Ke'e Beach. It is here that we would hike the Napali Coast Trail again - just the first two miles - to take in the fantastic views. The trail empties out onto a rather large beach. There is a cave on the far side of the beach. Watching waves crashing onto the rocks from inside the cave is, ah…, well, ummm, I just can’t find the words (this is where I would like Glen to pinch-write for me!)

Anyway, that is my advice, for what it is worth. I know you’ll enjoy Kaua’i and I only wish Nora and I could be joining you.