Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smoked Meat
Yeah, John, I figured my last posting was a bit lengthy. Here's a quote from my tome:

==============================================
No real secret with smoked cheese, Wyatt. Just about any type of cheese can be smoked including my favorite Monterey Jack and Provolone, but also Swiss, Colby, Mozzarella, Havarti, Jarlsburg, Stilton, Gouda and a host of others.

I buy my cheeses for smoking in larger quantities from Costco and cut them to half-pound brick portions.
==============================================

Mahalo nui loa,
Brian and Mary
Lynnwood, WA\Discovery Harbour
Aloha pumehana,
Brian and Mary
Hubby brought home a package of smoked meat. It is vaccumed sealed in a plastic bag. I've never eaten smoked meat. I have had smoked sauages.

What do I do with it? How do I prepare to serve? It dosen't looked 'cooked', but then again.. this is the first time I've been given smoked meat.
Suki,
You didn't mention what kind of meat, but you can use the smoked meat in most any recipe that calls for that kind of meat. It's 99% certain that the meat is cooked, so don't worry about cooking it again. There are so many ways to use smoked meat, I'd need to know more before I can give you any other recommendations.

Well, wait a minute, here's one: No matter what meat it is, you can cut it into small pieces and add it to a white sauce that you've either made from scratch or purchased in a jar from Safeway. The jarred white sauces are very good, and one of my favorites is to mix in about 1/4 to 1/2 pound of pieces into a white sauce and pour that over noodles of most any kind. This mixture is great over white rice too.

Mahalo nui loa,
Brian and Mary
Aloha pumehana,
Brian and Mary
Brian, we never cooked any meat or sausage before smoking it in Hungary. I just laugh when I hear of hams like Parma, nothing comes close to the smoked ham my grandpa used to make.

Aloha,
John S. Rabi, ABR,CM,CRB,FHS,RB
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
"The Next Level of Service!"
This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: http://www.nsm88.org/aboutus.html

It's great steamed or boiled with greens. Especially with a side or nonsweet cornbread.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Today a friend brought over wild bore meat and asked us to smoke it. We will use keawe wood and Ohia chips. He shot it last evening and butchered it immediately. Then brined it on ice.
We will marinade with Soy sauce, lilikoi juice,
brown sugar, ginger, garlic powder. Will see what it taste like

Aloha
Wyatt

"Yearn to understand first and to be understood second."
-- Beca Lewis Allen
Wyatt,
I'm curious about wild boar hunting, and hunting in general on the Big Island. Is boar, or pig, hunting common? What about other game? I've heard about goat hunting, but that doesn't really appeal to me. Now a wild boar, now THAT sounds like a critter that could feed me for a LONG time.

I'm also curious about the meat flavor, so post back your impressions, please.

Mahalo nui loa,
Brian and Mary
Aloha pumehana,
Brian and Mary
hey R

yum...wild boar and it sounds like a great marinade....i'm coming over now! look forward to hearing how it turned out...what part of the boar did you smoke?

noel

The bore was one of the better that we have smoked. No gamey taste or smell. The flavor was.
A+ took some (still warm)down to 8 friends that were sitting by the ocean having beer. Everyone loved it.
Hey Noel I got the meat in large chunks so not sure what cuts. I do know that the pork butts are in the freezer so not them. I will ask when the guy comes to pick up his half of the
smoked meat.

Aloha
Wyatt

"Yearn to understand first and to be understood second."
-- Beca Lewis Allen
Fishboy, Pig/boar hunting is very common, also goat, sheep (inc. mouflan), quail, turkey, pheasant, chukar, dove, francolin, african sandgrouse. There are axis deer on other islands for hunting, but the introduction of the deer was halted here because of the habitat destruction they have done on Maui.
Most pig hunting is done with hunt dogs.
Although hunting is fairly common, few hunters get the required hunting licenses, so the state only has around 10,000 licensed hunters (less than 1% of the state population, and this holds for most county data)
Most bird hunting is done upland, Mauna Kea, Pu'u Wa'awa'a Ranch & such, and many more bird hunters have tags.

Edited by - carey on 10/05/2007 08:00:20