Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Champagne Pond - Best solutions?
The Trib has an article on the use and abuse of the Champagne Pond in Kapoho. As the district experiences growth and a ramping up of tourism our limited resources and general lifestyle are at risk.

I think this is worthy of discussion. Any ideas on how to resolve these issues?

Punaweb moderator
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
I havent seen the article yet - but one abuse is the existing cesspools on the ocean front. I would like to see some mandatory requirement for discontinuing the use of the cesspools in that area, and requiring the aerobic system, at the minimum, replace the cesspools. Wastewater does far more damage than tourism at this time, in that area.

And since I havent seen the article - you are referring to the area in front of Kapoho Beach lots right?
There is a recommendation within the Puna Community Development Plan for disallowing cesspools throughout the district.

I would agree that they should also be discontinued in oceanfront locations. The EPA imposed requirements on large private and public cesspools which required they be replaced as they recently were at Pahoa High and Intermediate. So I would say there is a precedent for requiring replacement of obsolete ocean front systems.

As a point of discussion a private cesspool serving a residence of 2-4 occupants appears to be considerably less impact than 100+ daily visitors at the Champagne Pond with zero facilities. One way to discourage over use might be to change the name of the pond to something much less enticing. Install a sign that says 'Kapoho Pee Pond' and many tourists might turn away.

Punaweb moderator
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
The fact that there are no restrooms or outhouses is one reason that i no longer go to champagne pond. People have to relieve themselves and they do this only a few yards from the pond. I would imagine that this could seep into the ponds during rains !

Haven't read the article yet either, however I do remember a post in the distant past about people with small boats and nets catching the fish at the Champagne Ponds for fish aquariums. For some reason that seems so very wrong to me.

I would also promote the use of septic systems over cesspools, if sewer lines aren't practical.

Looking forward to the article. Thanks.

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
Given the lack of beaches and other ocean swimming opportunities in Puna, the fact that the Champagne Pond is now overused and environmentally compromised shouldn't be a big surprise. Imagine how bad it would be if the easy access were not gated or if a better road existed to the public shoreline. (Suggestion to visitors: DON'T go into the patch of woods between the raw lava and the housing area.)

I don't know what the long-term solution might be, but in the short run somebody needs to put some portapotties out there. Of course there will be disagreement as to whether the state, the county, or the community association should provide the portapotties. Given the inability of governmental entities in Hawaii to get anything done quickly, the community association might have to protect their own interests here.

Having said all that about portapotties for the non-resident beach goers, it is probably true that far more damage is done by cesspools. Retrofitting may have to be mandated, oh maybe around 2020 if the County puts it on the fast track.

Somewhat cynical, but still cheerful because I went bird watching in HVNP yesterday and it was BEAUTIFUL,

Jerry

"...As the district experiences growth and a ramping up of tourism our limited resources and general lifestyle are at risk. I think this is worthy of discussion. Any ideas on how to resolve these issues?..."

1. dont let the superferry get close to our island.
2. wait a few and let the lava do its thing.. methinks the whole of lower puna is in for some pretty big 'lifestyle' changes if it continues 4? 6? 8? months out. I mean they calmed our fears with the 'it aint tubed over/no pahoehoe' line and now thats gone.
3. stop telling all your mainland friends how nice it is to live puna side.

otherwise.. man the good ol american dream is descending upon us and it dont look as though we are going to be able to stop it.. rules.. concrete... fences.. you get yours and Ill get mine.. shopping centers... and the places we all enjoyed all these years will go poof*... sheesh how many starry nights did I spend on kua beach.. now its got a road to it.. parking lot.. pasty tourist.. oui! in fact where does one go camping on the island anymore?
We quit going, even midweek. It's gross.

Kapohokine Adventures needs to have their heads examined for making the decision to take all the tourists into this fragile area with zero facilities. If they catered to locals and not tourists we would boycot them into bankrupcy. I'm generally pro business, but this is too over the top.

That said, the tourists are not the ones camping out and making potty trips to the brush. And, the camp trash left behind can't hardly be blamed on Kapohokine. I have seen portably toilets in there on trailers for larger parties.

I feel for the folks who made the choice to live there and now have to witness the problems - but the same things that drew them now draw the folks they want to exclude.

Closing that road at a point near the lighthouse would shut down access to a lot of surffront and would close it all down for anyone with special physical challenges - definitely NOT the answer.

Figure out how best to place some portable toilets and trash cans in there, and let the users sort out their own numbers. Once it gets too crowded, people will be less likely to go.

we went there last month and it was a zoo, hundreds of people,with no where to go, unless in the bushes or water...........
i don't think we'll go back there unless something is done, i don't see how they could get portapotty's in there on the current road. it's getting tough finding spots with few people

And now for a really radical solution:

The State or County should buy all of the oceanfront lots from Champagne Pond to the Marine Sanctuary, tear down the houses, restore the land and make the entire strip a park.

Won't happen, but I like it.

Jerry
Art and Orchids B&B
http://www.artandorchids.com
Jerry
Art and Orchids B&B
http://www.artandorchids.com