Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Volcano acting up
I certainly don't know the answer to your question, Julie but I have one of my own: Why was the meeting held in HPP?

Glen/ HPP is a bit more populated. Hey! we are on our way to Nanawale, and will check out the lava activity finally, in person. NanawaleJulie, will walk around your property to check out too. Aloha!

Lika
Boston/Pahoa
Lika

"To err is human, to forgive divine"
The meeting was set up by HPP ENET (the orange shirts). our purpose is to help with disater education and preparadness . We also sponsered a tsunami seminar a while back.

If one looks at Jim Kauahikaua's maps shown at the meeting or those on the USGS website, one realizes that a LOT of places could be eventually threatened. (His little red laser pointer was all over the place, folks.) These would include, but not necessarily be limited to HPP on the Pahoa side of Paradise Drive, Makuu Hawaiian Homelands, Makuu Market, parts of Ainaloa, maybe just a tiny sliver of Hawaiian Beaches, anywhere on 130 between Ainaloa and Pahoa, and maybe even the relatively new Pahoa Marketplace shopping center. The distance the flow fans out will determine which, if any, are threatened. And, yes, ALL of the above mentioned could conceivably be threatened by a lenthy and active eruption that fans out over the widest possible area.

The problem for everybody south and east of Pahoa (Nanawale, Leilani, Seaview, Hawaiian Beaches, et. al., and others) is the potential for Highway 130 to be cut. If that were to happen, commuting to Hilo or even getting goods delivered to what little shopping there is becomes impossible unless another road is built. As a remedy for this possibility, building a road between Hawaiian Beaches and HPP no longer makes sense because if the eruption makes it as far as 130 it has a probability of continuing on down to the coast. Then the best option becomes connecting the remnants of Kalapana with Chain of Craters road, which could be done (according to Jim) as long as it were gravel and no serious excavation were needed.

Now that I have you all frightened, I have to go weedeat the driveway before somebody gets lost out there. Remember, this could all stop tomorrow and today's update says the tube flow has stalled.

There, I finally said something cheerful,
Jerry

Edited by - JerryCarr on 10/30/2007 13:23:23
Julie,
if you open up Jim's PDF assessment:
http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2007/1264/of2007-1264.pdf

go to page 6, look at the graphic showing pink-red lines that indicate where the topography indicates flows might travel. (due to steeper descent)

It is a long way to the ocean, and if the lava builds up new ground it changes the topography. So the paths are likely to change as it goes along.

There are some pink lines leading into Nanawele, more as a backtrack from Hawaiian Beaches approach than a direct line.

The straightest line goes right to where I almost bought a house this summer (Beach Rd. off Maku`u, adjacent to Shipman property on the south edge of HPP.) I was realy bummed I didn't get that house too.

So check out the map. It is pretty interesting.

Have you seen the Halloween photo the USGS shot last Friday of the lava? It's alive!

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/kilauea/update/ar...0906_L.jpg
Steve & Regina
Hawaiian Acres / North Lake Tahoe

'If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there' - George Harrison
Thanks to everyone who replied. Guess it is like everything else-you won't know til you know. Thanks in particular to Kathy for the presentation from the meeting. Although, it kinda freaked me out a bit. Hopefully everyone will be safe and this will simply stop real soon.

..."this will simply stop real soon..."

when considering kilauea's eruptive history this is not a good bet. i am amazed at how many times, especially when one consider that we are living on the flank of what is often referred to as the most active volcano on earth, I have heard someone say 'but not in my lifetime' in response to some statement about the possibility of lava coming through lower puna. folks the writing is on the wall, kialuea covers almost all of its surface with new lava every 1000 years, and when you think about it that is not a long time for so much area. buying land on kilauea is like placing a bad bet.. you are going to loose, just wait a bit. I would say that the most likely of all possible outcomes is the continuation of this eruption. when you consider it 25 years of almost continuous eruption from the same vent complex does not suggest a short lived eruption at all. in other words.. strap yourself's in brothers and sisters 'cause we're more than likely in for one heck of a ride. the real shame of it is our head stuck in the sand attitude of our county and state governments. but then I suppose everyone would freak if they were to actually address the whole issue of allowing (or not allowing) development in volcanic hazard zones. at least we all have ample warning. there should be no excessive drama when the flow does start chewing on developed land, homes, roads etc. but alas there will be.. lots of it.
Yes, the risks are apparent and well known, in the abstract. I think what lulled some into complacency is that Kilauea has been relatively mild for a long period of time (Royal Gardens, Kalapana and Kapoho notwithstanding) and seemed to have developed a system of venting harmlessly to the sea.

It has been a very long time indeed since Kilauea flowed over Hawaiian Paradise Park. Not sure how long, but I think it was in the last century or before.

The new flow threatens Zone 3 (and other zones), which insurance companies, and consequently some buyers, considered a little safer. That's the change in the equation. Lava in Hawaiian Paradise Park??? It's been awhile.

There may be a temptation to say I told ya so, but that would be a little harsh.

People worldwide live near natural dangers, and this will become even more common as the world becomes officially overrun with homo sapiens.

Who knows what will happen.

I'm reminded of a song that came on the radio when I first re-entered New Orleans after Katrina, to see if my place was there. Sung by Billie Holiday, it went like this: For all we know
We may never meet again
Before you go
Make this moment sweet again

We won't say goodnight
Until the last minute
I'll hold out my hand
And my heart will be in it

For all we know
This may only be a dream
We come and we go
Just like ripples on a stream

So love me, love me tonight
Tomorrow was meant for some
Tomorrow may never come
For all we know

quote:
It has been a very long time indeed since Kilauea flowed over Hawaiian Paradise Park. Not sure how long, but I think it was in the last century or before.

That would be the Ai-laau lava flow estimated to be about 400 years ago. BTW Ai-Laau means "forest eater". He was a mythical figure in Hawaiian legend who lived in Kilauea before Pele scared him away.