Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Volcano acting up
Well I guess it is always good to hope. But I am glad to see that there are lots of folks that have a good grip on unfolding events. Thanks KathyH and Glen. "the lava seems to be heading everywhere except West"
Well put.

Leif

The north tube showed no signs of activity and was presumed dead.

The lack of activity in the North Tube is quite encouraging, but we are long way from knowing the ultimate outcome. I choose to be cheerful . . . for now.

Meanwhile the Railroad Optimist Club is decamping for two weeks to Texas where the biggest hazards are the rattlesnakes and drunken cowboys in weaving pick-ups. (You ought to be able to go somewhere with that set-up line, Glen.) We don't have a laptop and when you mention computers to my rancher relatives, they get a puzzled look and mumble something about that's how their electric bill got messed up. Soooo, I will be in Punatic withdrawal. Maybe the Public Library???

Cheers,
Jerry

Crazy new (to me, anyway) info in this week's Trib volcano watch article. 120 feet tall? Where is that gin?

http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/volcano/

aloha, all!

Edited by - haole on 11/13/2007 15:19:25
Great. Something they have never seen before: a perched lava channel towering above the surrounding landscape. Kind of like the ancient roman aquaducts, but, you know, uh, full of molten lava, and, it doesn't need any romans to build it. It builds itself. And is pointing East.

Give me the gin....uh, whatever Pele is not drinking. I think I'm gonna need it.

Edited by - glen on 11/13/2007 19:24:10
now Glen, must not drink Pele's gin. Try tequila.

Haole, thanks for that link, really detailed article, I forwarded it to friends and family.

Fascinating, like an elevated freeway of lava.
That must be 10-15 stories high! Wowser.

I'm with Kathy, please NO drinking of Pele's gin!

http://www.bigislandweekly.com/articles/...news04.txt

Did any of you catch this article. Of interest to me is this quote:
quote:
Similarly, a canvas of local opinion about the threat of lava inundation had another resident expressing excitement over the prospect of Puna getting cut-off by a flow. "Many of the people are hoping for just that," she said.

I've actually been hoping the same thing. I never knew many other locals shared my hope. I know this forum is filled with nonlocal newcomers and most won't like this attitude but there it is! We locals want Pele to come. Highway 130 getting cut off would be the best thing for limiting development and preserving our cherished lifestyle in our beloved Puna.

I know I will get flamed for this but I don't care. I'm expressing my true opinion on the subject and not saying this just to get everyone upset.

Uh, could we try zoning to handle development, first? Do we need to resort to hoping for molten, spewing, fountaining fire and brimstone to be rained down upon our neighbors? Or is your prayer more precise: just cut off the highway to lower Puna and bypass the houses of your neighbors on the way?

Just the highway getting cutoff would be great but if a few houses have to go then so be it. I have a feeling that most of the people who share my sentiment are renters anyway. They may become homeowners after RE prices plummet even further. It's a win win situation for them.