Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blue Hawaiian
more like
regular$ arm
unleaded $leg
super $urass
Darl, what does a ride cost from hilo to the vent and back and how long is the flight?
Do you do real estate fly overs?

Darl,

Thanks for your input. A couple of thoughts;

First; It seems that it would be a good idea for those in your industry to try to get together and address these issues with one voice. Do you and the others in your industry have a way to get together to discuss issues and voluntarily adopt procedures to solve problems that you have in common? Such as public relations with the local citizenry?

It seems that adjustment from the industry side would be much preferable to adjustment from the legislative side, if the adjustments were sufficient and reasonable.

Second; Perhaps a way to see the volcano and lessen local impact (from Hilo)is to ascend more vertically on takeoff, fly at a higher (say 2000') altitude, up highway 11 until you pass the summit above Volcano and the park facilities; then reducing altitude and turning south across the high desert area (uninhabited) on the west side of the park, then down towards the coast and over to the flow area. Regaining altitude as you fly back over lower Puna, returning to the airport. Or Vice-versa.

The flight path from the Kohala area could be adjusted in a similar way.

You just don't have to be that low over our homes.

Regards, Dan

quote:
quote:
Here is a positive post. Buy a frigen acre in Volcano. Bus the idiots that want to fly over the volcano to the acre that is a heli pad... Take off from there and save a crap load of $$$$ in fuel costs!

Problem solved... Oh and that acre should be boarding large forest reserves....

That also has been considered..

Edited by - darl on 11/12/2007 13:54:43

So may I ask what the discussion was? Was it adopted? Was it rejected? Was there any reasoning that might be for public consumption? I don't quite understand the answer above. Mahalo, Mella L

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
If the town of Volcano is the location being suggested, then there would be huge opposition; There are alot of residences in the area. If West of the town, say 3-5 miles or so, that might work well, but there is certainly no infrastructure up there. I think that it may be all Park land. There is a huge expanse of desert-like land up there which is almost baren, but I think that it is because of the VOG. The acid may be so corrosive that the equipment may not be able to withstand it.

I don't think that the location of the airport is a big problem, It's how they get across Puna.

More Lift!

Dan

Also,Citizens Against Noise stopped the helicopters from landing in volcano once before.So,I do not know if landing and take offs will work in volcano.I am still trying to get more info. on that organization.

DanielP is quite correct. Long before proposing a heliport in Volcano one should check with our Vulcan neighbors.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Ok.. so just checking back in on this thread. I can't believe the word "altitude" has not come up. But, since I don't live there I'm not informed, as in on a daily basis, with the actual issues.

We did see helicoptor tours when we were on Kauai, but they didn't seem to be such a nuisance.

Sooo... Altitude??

Blessings,
dave

"Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield"
Blessings,
dave

"It doesn't mean that much to me.. to mean that much to you." Neil Young

Punapetah said:
quote:
Darl, what does a ride cost from hilo to the vent and back and how long is the flight?
Do you do real estate fly overs?
Here is a sampling from one website for airfare on a helicopter tour.

http://www.hawaiidiscountactivities.com/...stings.asp?
Click on "The Big Island", then "Air Tours", then "Helicopter Rides".

On July 2nd, 2007, my wife and daughter and I flew in a helicopter from Hilo airport to the volcano, and back, on a competitor of Darl's, and the fee was in the neighborhood of $160 per person, total value of the deal was about $550 after tipping the pilot. It was money well spent, as the sights that we saw just couldn't be seen any other way.

I can't speak for Darl or any other helicopter company, but I would imagine if you wanted to charter a helicopter flight for a "real estate flyover", the rates start in the neighborhooe of $250 per hour, up to $2,385 per hour, depending upon the helicopter you rent, and what you ask the pilot to do. Google up "Hawaii helicopter charter rate" to see the variety that is available.

How do I know?

Edited by - mgeary on 11/12/2007 17:40:13
Aloha! ;-)
Now I'm really confused.
I thought the idea of placing a heliport nearer to the active volcano was an idea the air tour operators and their association was against.

It's my understanding that the underlying reasons were threefold:
1. Cost - No operator was going to downsize their Hilo airport operation, which meant they would be paying two leases instead of one. Fuel would need to be brought to the remote location or the aircraft would have to deadhead on shuttle runs adding cost. All the major maintenance and FAA operations were at Hilo so maintenance and inspections would become expensive.
2. Passenger Load - This was mentioned as a contributing factor since there are far less tourist staying in and around Volcano versus Hilo. It was said that there could be as much as a 30% drop in passengers because of that. Can't make it too inconvenient for the tourist.
3. Control – This was rumored to be the number 1 reason for the industry not wanting a heliport away from a FAA commercial airfield. Unless it's situated on federal land or the heliport receives federal commercial aviation money, the air tour operators would be at the mercy of the State or County. Piss off the State or County and they could terminate the lease, or pull the zoning. That wouldn't bode well if rules were established and violated. It appears that any thought of having the State or County (which is answerable to their local citizens) in power was just too risky to accept if a free-for-all, the-hell-with-the-people attitude was still going to persist.

Now, if I'm wrong, please let me know.

so why not set up off saddle rd on the military base? Or maybe they might get shot down by mistake? Or just do what they did before, walk.
I know flying in a noisy machine over something that should be experienced up close and personal, can't nearly be the same.
wanna compare pictures?