Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there any land in Hilo..
I was wondering if there was any area of Hilo that is reasonable to purchase a lot. Is this area totally developed? Is it too exensive? Or, do you think there is hope? Mahalo.

no there's no hope, save your money, stay there..
huh?
where were you again? don't make me scrol

Julie, "expensive" is in the eyes of the beholder. You might want to check http://hawaiiinformation.com and see if there is anything in your price range. If there is, you might want to come back to the forum and ask questions.

Aloha,
John S. Rabi, ABR,CM,CRB,FHS,RB
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
"The Next Level of Service!"
This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: http://www.nsm88.org/aboutus.html

we have a lot for sale in Hilo, but yes it is expensive compared to most Puna lots. For people who work in town and like in-town services, and county water, the main part of Hilo is very desirable.

Less desirable for people who want to live way out in the country. Upcountry Hilo is on catchment and it can be VERY wet. Wetter and grayer than Nanawele.

Land is cheaper up Kaumana drive, and the views can be good, BUT, if you have volcano concerns, be aware that when Mauna Loa goes off from Hilo side, Upper Kaumana is probably going to be first in line for lava. Personally I wouldn't live there for that reason.

Another reason Hilo is expensive -- university, junior college, observatories, hospital, government seat. Many people need to be in Hilo every day and the oldtimers in Hilo do not put up with commute traffic. They aren't like you guys who are moving here from areas where you already have grueling commutes. And there are fewer lots available.

Long way of trying to explain a few reasons why Hilo is more expensive.

North of Hilo there's beautiful land that is far from developed, but it's no longer what anyone would call affordable.

Aloha NanawaleJulie -

Why are you looking to change your name to HiloJulie?

It's really wonderful here in Nanawale!

"What? Me Worry?" - Alfred E. Nueman
"Vote with your money!"
Well, I really just wanted to know more about the area. I know that when I move there I will have to work. I won't likely be able to bring work with me, and so working close to where you live is desireable to me. I would assume that I would have to work in Hilo or Kona, and thought Hilo would be more affordable than Kona. I also am worried about the lava flowing to the ocean and covering the land or the road into town. So, since I know nearly nothing about most of the island, I thought I would ask about Hilo.
Mahalo for your answers.
Although, not sure what punapetah's deal is.

Julie,

When you decide to move over, it may be the best for you to rent and get to know the areas before you make a commitment to build.

Dan

Land prices are higher, and there is a lot more build out in Hilo. There is more open land in Waikea Uka (upper Waikea - off upper Ainaola & Ainalako Rd.) also upper Pi'ihonua & Kaiwiki. These areas are more expensive than Puna, & may not have county services, some lots are larger & more rural than downtown Hilo, & are at a higher elevation, so more rain (upwards of 200"/yr), but are less expensive than in downtown Hilo. (small lots at around 7ksq ft are in the $60k....most other areas are more)
There is a bus service from Puna into Hilo with early morning to late night service (6 routes per day now - one of the best on island) & it is free. The bus does have 5 runs right by Nanawale (Nanawale does not get the 7pm bus into Hilo, nor the 7:30am bus from Hilo...)
This is actually more bus service than most of Hilo gets! Plus the county has just invested in more buses for more service!
I live on the edge of Puna & ride the bus daily, it is not bad & you get to know some really nice people & a very few 'characters'.
Lava flows can happen anywhere on this island & still can happen on Maui (last Maui flow was 225 years ago, not long in volcano time) Puna flows are normally much slower than anywhere else on island (less gradient = slower flows) and the current flow area has had a history of flows not continueing much farther...but... most everything is speculation... just when you think you know what is going to happen, somethiing else happens, somewhere else...
Knowing Peter a little from his work in HPP, I would say that he was pullin' your leg....you asked if there was hope...
There is ALWAYS hope & ways to figure out things.

Edited by - carey on 11/20/2007 08:12:04