Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blue Hawaiian
It is Monday..late Monday, but Monday non the less.
I have read each post and will try to include each in my post.

Daniel P- asked about companies working together.
We have come to some basic agreements with other operators but not to the extent that would address specific flight path and altitude limits. I find that we tend to be a higher than other aircraft most of the time but believe this is offset by the fact that we have 10 aircraft on the Big Island while the next largest has 3. We have tried to establish some basic limitations and routes but find we are the only ones using them. I have talked to the other operators and frankly, they tend to not to do what we do so as to avoid the traffic. I would likely do the same.

With regards to you question about routes, we do not go to the Caldera from Hilo. We fly to the Puu O'o vent and spend the majority of the time at the eruption site.
As far as climbing to 2000 ft, that is our current minimum altitude from the Mac Nut farm to the Forest reserve between HPP and Pahoa. When the weather permits we climb higher, 3000 to 4000 until the forest reserve. It would be nice to be able to do this on a regular basis but as you know we are limited by the cloud base. I also want to say that I am aware of a few of our pilots thinking that as long as they are at minimums, they are OK. Technically I suppose that is true, but it is not the way to operate in this situation.
Let me share a perspective on this issue that might help with understanding some of what takes place. We have a high percentage of pilots here now who have been in Hawaii for less than 2 years. They come here with a great deal of experience in a wide variety of operations. Their perspective of operations has worked for them everywhere they have been and they tend to want to do what has worked well for them in the past. The problems we face as a community stem from the somewhat unique circumstance of living on an Island, compounded with very large weather creating mountains. We as pilots have a limited amount of area to work with and a very busy operations environment. The basic rules for helicopters everywhere else do not provide for minimum altitudes anywhere near what we try to do here. 1500 feet above the ground is pretty much unheard of anywhere else in the country. In fact, that is usually avoided intentionally to stay away from low altitude fixed wing traffic. I am not trying to justify lower altitudes, just trying to explain that to most helicopter pilots, 1000 feet above the ground is considered sufficiently high enough to mitigate any problems with people on the ground. I have spoken with pilots who are actually surprised that they are causing problems and sincerely thought they were operating in a more than acceptable manner. When faced with restrictive routes and fast changing weather conditions, pilots often tend to make decisions based on past experience. For helicopter pilots, that past experience has always been to get low and slow when things are not going as planned. It is a hard habit to break. For most helicopter pilots 500 to 800 feet above the ground is considered normal enroute operations. We make a sincere effort to educate our staff with regards to the noise issues we face, but it takes time for them to change the way they think and even longer for them to change the habits they have had for most of their careers.
I will step up my efforts to monitor our operations here on the Big Island. I think we are doing a reasonably good job at following our procedures and I am more than willing to work on specific areas of concern. I intend to ask the pilot staff to read the posts that are made here so as to help them better understand the problem.

punapetah- asked about Real Estate flights. We are a full service Helicopter company and actually do a variety of work other than Tours. You can contact any of the operators and get a quote which is usually based on an hourly rate.
Kathy H and Mella mentioned the Helipad by the volcano.
There are many issues with that, zoning, infrastructure, fuel, power, construction etc. If this were put on the table I would hope it would be in an isolated area which would provide for routes over unpopulated areas. I do not remember the reason the discussion did not go very far as it was many years ago and I was not directly involved.
To address the "fuel" questions. The aircraft burns about 48 gallons per hour. Fuel is not a primary consideration with regards to the discussion about modifying our routes to and from the eruption site. Our flights are not that long and the modifications would likely not lengthen the overall flight time significantly.
bob orts - I have not seen much evidence of a free-for-all since back in the late 80's and early 90's. In fact I think on our worst day, we are operating much more conservatively than any where else in the country and will continue to change and improve. With regard to state and local regulations, the main problem is the need for standardization and continuity. It would be difficult to fly from one side of the country to the other if you had to learn separate regulations for each state and city you flew over.
carey - I will speak to the pilots about giving Keaau a wider birth. The tower uses the Mill at the intersection as a reporting point so traffic tends to converge there. We can stay farther off to the east side of town if that will help.
It is getting late; I will get back to this in the morning. Good night all and sleep well

Edited by - darl on 11/20/2007 06:01:54
Darl,

Thanks for your reply.

A couple of comments;

When you compare flying here in Puna with flying in the rest of the country, the issue which needs to be mitigated is the density and frequency of the flights. There are alot of flight hours/square mile here that does not occur in the rest of the country.

Also, your response to KathyH and mella about a location of a helipad near the Kiluea caldera;

Howbout you consider it "on the table" and look into the feasibility? Could be a good business move as well as mitigating the overflight of populated areas issue.

As far as pilots' flight behaviors; a periodic review of flight data recorders could help improve that, eh?

Mahalo for your consideration,

Dan

Thank you Darl for the time and effort you put into your response, you seem very sincere and informed.

A few points though I think DanielP has made that should be further considered and not tabled.

This is Puna not the mainland with 49 different states and regulations. I hope this can be condensed without bringing the other 49 into the picture. This is one county here on island, that should be a bonus.

Regarding the volcano helo pad. Not my idea but I think it would be workable in some form or fashion. How about joining up with the Volcano Winery perhaps they would cut you a pad deal, and it could be win win.

I'm not there so I don't know. But I don't think this is a problem without answers for all.

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
quote:
Darl,

Thanks for your reply.

A couple of comments;

When you compare flying here in Puna with flying in the rest of the country, the issue which needs to be mitigated is the density and frequency of the flights. There are alot of flight hours/square mile here that does not occur in the rest of the country.

Also, your response to KathyH and mella about a location of a helipad near the Kiluea caldera;

Howbout you consider it "on the table" and look into the feasibility? Could be a good business move as well as mitigating the overflight of populated areas issue.

As far as pilots' flight behaviors; a periodic review of flight data recorders could help improve that, eh?

Mahalo for your consideration,

Dan

I suppose the comparison was made with regard to normal operational altitudes in airspace located over rural areas.

The helipad idea might be a good long term solution. I doubt that it would get far unless it was proposed and supported by the community.

I hate to be contrary,(nah) but a large part of the draw for the back country HVNP is the peace. Having hiked the Kau Desert, I found it to be a wounderful experience but I would have hated to have had the experience ruined by overflight noise. I hiked alone out to one of the back country cabins where I spent the night. So quiet that all I could hear was my tinnitus. A mystical experience. That night, due to mist and new moon, it was pitch black dark, also a mystical experience. I was lucky and saw not another soul. Another trip with a friend or my lover(she's a friend too Smile would be nice also. I would prefer some noise over my house(yuk) than have the peace of the kau desert ruined. The only downside to the desert hike is the ants, ants and more ants, but they didn't bite.

PS: I haven't partaken in almost 30 yrs. but I was wondering how a little wacky backy would have been out there in that almost surreal commune with nature, sitting on the lava, and watching the mist, and wishing I didn't have any hearing damage. Of course it was great just as it was.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.

Edited by - oink on 11/20/2007 06:52:08
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Last night just at dusk, there was a loud helicopter flying overhead in "circles" - because of this discussion, seaside bob went out and looked and it was a military helicopter. Just FYI in case others heard it then along the coast. Oh yah and he said to say "flying with full low pitch". He thought either feds or rescue.
Good Morning;

Punapetaa – The saddle road would not work due to the weather patterns that exist upslope..

Royall- About the climb rates, that is a variable we can work with. Again the time involved with most modifications of the flight would not outweigh the benefit if it provided a workable solution .

JerryCatt- with reference to your experience at Mauna Ulu , our pilots are very aware of the hiking areas in the chain of craters and normally if they are low it will be due to weather and they should be heading toward the Pali to get out of the area. It is a common occurrence for 1 pilot to check the route, if it is not useable, he will go to an alternate and radio back to the rest of the pilots so they can plan to use a different route.

Tahunatics – I have talked to the pilots about not flying the same route more that once per day. They need to be reminded occasionally and I will do that. The problem I have from my end is that can still results in several overflights even if the pilots are following the program.

Bob Orts- We feel that our aircraft are very easy to ID, except for the blue and black being difficult to determine under certain conditions. That assumption many make, that our aircraft are only doing tours is incorrect. Often if you see a “Tour Helicopter” flying well outside the normal parameters, it is most likely a utility flight or other operation that is well within the scope of legitimate operations. The flights we conduct for HELCO are a good example.

HADave – There are 5 models of helicopters (excluding the military) currently operating on the Island. The ASTAR (AS350), ECOSTAR (EC130), Bell 407, Hughes 500, and the Piston powered trainers in Kona.

I would have to disagree with you on the issue of more blades being safer. The more blades you have in a rotor system will improve the responsiveness of the main rotor to directional control input making the aircraft somewhat more maneuverable in tight areas. This is advantageous if you are working in very tight areas in windy conditions and require a great deal of precision. On the down side it reduces the rotor diameter and inertia. This results is a reduction of the rotors autorotational performance. Most of the objectionable noise from a helicopter is created by the Tail Rotor which operates at a much higher RPM than the main rotor. That is the reason the ECOSTAR has been designed with the FENSTRON. As we are discussing noise issues here, I will say no the 5 bladed systems are not quieter or safer than systems with less blades.

Seasidebob – You are correct about the pitch of the blades changing the sound profile but the blade loading is a more important factor. As the aircraft turns, climbs, or descends, the load on the rotors is changing until the aircraft is stabilized, this can induce “blade flapping” which results in a 1 per revolution ‘popping’ sound. This can be controlled to some extent by the pilot. It is an interesting point, I will discuss it with our instructors and see if we can make some improvement by being more aware of the conditions that induce it.

JayJay – You are right, things have changed a great deal over the years. Being low back then had the advantage of producing a very small sound footprint. We could actually fly within ½ mile of an area with little or no impact. Unfortunately there were those who insisted on flying where ever they wanted. The higher altitudes have lessoned the volume but greatly increased the area affected. Maybe that a combination of high and low routes could help this situation.

JWFITZ – Not much I can say here. It is the profession I have chosen and we operate within (and to more stringent limits) than provided for by the current regulations and limitations. We have also found solutions too many of the problems we encounter and will continue to do so. This is part of that process and your participation is appreciated.

Someone mentioned that I said “flying over the ocean would increase the possibility of a crash” This is not what I said, My comment was that due to the ocean conditions on the leeward side of the Island and the top heavy configuration of the aircraft there would be a high probability of the aircraft rolling inverted in the event of a water landing.

Have to go for now, Thanks

Darl you have failed to answer my question if you are representing Blue Hawaiian in an official capacity? Otherwise this whole diatribe is a lesson in futility.The pilots are lower than 500' a lot of the time! People have been collecting video and pics for years ,that are evidence to the contrary of your claim that you guys stay at your proper altititude.Low flights happen all the time;and in fact I just took video of one of yours low over me, in the mist, just the other day.The community is tired of the noise,this makes altitude a mute point.Also,your responses are starting to sound like a spin doctor.Let us get to some meat.Thanks.Happy Holidays.
Citizens Against Overflights Assoc.
http://www.freewebs.com/caoahawaii/

well it looks like darl went poof*

and I was so optimistic.. thought we had a real person on the line.. but by all the evidence all darl amounts to is a cyber version of max headroom.. pap! well-l-l I suppose I should've know.. and not b-b-blown... my pessimistic cover. oh well

Edited by - dakine on 11/23/2007 07:07:14
Cat,
just call him and ask him? 961-5600

http://www.bluehawaiian.com/about/staff/pilots/

KEEP PUNA RURAL