Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Honolulu Landing - to pave or not to pave?
I love Pele, and she can have this house if she likes, plenty places I know to where to go.
But I would like the cinder roads paved because the speed they drive is not that much different.
All these construction trucks with trailers go flying past my house all the time. And I'm tired of dusting, who am I kidding? my house IS dusty, always! The red cinder is the worst because it breaks down so fast, espically under heavy weight of trucks. Which is another tick all together.
The base course they've put down on some roads is better but it still washes away. My truck is 75 years old. It would like a smooth surface to glide along on. Although the roads are comprable to the roads that were common on the mainland, when the truck was new, in 32.
Supposadly they got 12 million to pave it all, but I hear now that . that does not include the road bed? Like they'll probally just pave over the cinder? It's a nighmare, one I gave up on.

Keep remote areas remote, where they're going to build house to house pave. And let the hard to get to places, just that way. Pave everything and it will look likeanother E-ticket.
Really looks like that's happening to Pohiki.

KEEP PUNA RURAL
AGAINST

I almost bought property on that road and in Waa Waa. That road is beautiful and natural .. magical.

Already people drive way too fast on it. It'll be a speedway ... people be hitting the mango trees.

Right now the road is drivable so it can be used, just not to race on ... and I spent some time there and noted the traffic patterns and can guarantee the kids WILL race on it if it gets paved.

Also not a bad thing that rental cars can't legally drive it ... many ignore that but at least it's not on every visitor list ... people out there choose to live off grid so it would be a shame if their local road became a "must see" on all the visitor itineraries.

I think it's one of the most beautiful parts of the island, and really hope it doesn't get widened and paved. People will drive it faster, hit huge mango trees, and then they'll want to cut down the "offending" mango trees.

It is almost certain that the tour buses will follow any paving. The road is special because it is rough, narrow and tropical. It is a wonderful place to slow down and absorb the beauty of Hawaii. I would hate to see it change.

Bill

Punapetah,

RURAL is dusty! What part of paving is RURAL? Gravel roads is the last RURAL thing in HPP.

Let's at least keep Puna quaint.

No Pave, No mo.
Aloha, Dan

Edited by - DanielP on 11/21/2007 07:35:12
Please, please do NOT pave the Waa Waa road. It is my favorite part of the island. I can feel the peace of the island when I'm driving there. Aren't there old buriel grounds in there?? I know there are wonderful old rock walls.

There are certainly other places in Puna that could use the asphalt.

I've personally been struggling with Public Works about widening Post Office Rd. in Pahoa Village. It's a 25' wide easement which is hazardous and narrow. Ultility poles are inappropriately placed seven feet into the roadway. Increase in traffic has made this a logjam.

Publc Works maintains that they cannot undertake the sub standard private roads in the subdivisions in Puna. They can't seem to undertake the sub standard public roads under their care either. This is just one of many issues where we intend to be more effective with Friends of Puna's Future.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
no to wawa yes to my road

KEEP PUNA RURAL
There are cultural sites along much of this road, including segments of low stone wall right alongside much of it, dating back perhaps to pre-vehicular times when it was part of the Ala Loa or royal road. The ruins of the village Kahuwai, inhabited until historic times, are also there. Due to the hard work of some resident volunteers, this road has even been nominated to the national register of historic places as a historic trail. This status may offer some protection to the area in the long run. It is also probably the very last large stretch of intact hala forest in the state. The giant mangos are pretty close together and the road traverses some rough terrain - some hills and valleys (for those who may not know). This road is pretty skinny - maybe 10' in some places. IMHO it would not work to simply pave that and think of it as an "alternate route" in and out of lower Puna. It would be impossible to widen it sufficiently without tearing out the great old trees and adversely impacting these cultural sites. Besides, this is a rural area. People moved out here BECAUSE there was no electric etc. There's a lot of bike and pedestrian traffic on the road as well. I attended the meeting with Co.public works in October and got to hear what the residents had to say. Most were vehemently against paving the road and told some pretty moving stories about how they value their quality of life more than the convenience of being able to drive a car fast along a smooth road. Some talked about the quiet, and a palpable feeling of sacredness here that would be lost if cars could whiz by on pavement. At present, the County says they want to pave only certain patches of the road - not make it continuous. I think any pavement will increase speed and accidents on this narrow twisty road. It's already a gravel road that is passable by a regular 2WD car (mine's kind of a lowrider and I can even do it!) You just have to go a little slow. I support my Wa'a wa'a neigbors in opposing the paving of this road because I think there should be some places left that are still slow.

Aloha,
Mitzi

Uluhe Design
Native Landscape Design
uluhedesign@yahoo.com
Uluhe Design
Native Landscape Design
uluhedesign@yahoo.com
They should make the section between hawaiian beaches and hpp driveable for emergency access when 130 is blocked