Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Volcano acting up
oink, sorry the links aren't working for you.

my take on the lava is...every place has something, BI has lava. I live 'in the Marina District in San Francisco (built on slush over a major fault line)'. I'll just be trading one for another. Gotta see if the + outweigh the - in your own head. and yes, I was here in 1989.

ok, gotta go eat turkey now.

Cheers,

Jen
California/Hawaii
Aloha,

Jen
California/Hawaii
Well I look forward to seeing the maps and photos, but it is somewhat of a relief. I think the odds of your home burning from lava while you own it are probably less than being struck by lighting, which is around 1/12,000 if I recall correctly. Moving from Oakland on the overdue Hayward Fault, I think the odds of a catastrophe in my lifetime there are actually lower.

Saw this video posted on the 'other side', there is a short commericial first:
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/tech/20...olcano.cnn

Edited by - carey on 11/24/2007 07:26:35
Thanx Carey, Great video. and they uptated the map, and cool new photos too.

Cheers,

Jen
California/Hawaii
Aloha,

Jen
California/Hawaii
Amazing video, Carey. A moving picture is worth a few thousand words. It does appear to be moving south, fitfully. Not too much lava is going into the perched channel headed East and the flows have stopped there.

I am going to be optimistic about this (until the real optimists return!).

I'm still the optimist Glen. I always thought the flow would go South. I still liked your slant on things, as serious as the situation is. And the flow is now headed South to another subdivision. Still not good for them.

Leif

As I was saying the other day Pele will decide her path, we must appreciate and respect her choices.

Shane Turpin
Lava Ocean Adventures
Does anyone know what the white areas mean on the latest flow maps? Would they be areas that are burnt but not lava-covered? THey didn't appear on earlier maps (that I saved) but compared to them, the new lava flows seem to be covering the previous flows and not spreading much further than what was already covered.

Those are older flows that predate the 1983 to present flows. Still too new to have any large forest growth.

HVO reports that she is filling the perched channel again. Sigh.

So, we are going East, seeping North and South, and flowing into a pond south of the fissure.

I was thinking, a tube flow might actually be better than a surface flow....because it is below the surface! Feel free to talk sense into me.