Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Volcano acting up
Good Article. I'm surprised that the Volcano wouldn't be hot enough for regular non-hazardous wastes...I realize the emissions would be hazardous...just makes sense. I guess that the thought of molten rock leaves me thinkin' that anything would be sterilized. (I also still am amazed when I see planes take off and ships moored in shallow water...I knows it's all physics but I'll be danged if it makes sense to me LOL!!)

Getting up close and personal with VOG helps me to understand the nasty emissions thing, though...It'd be really awful if it smelled like garbage too. [:p]

Carrie

http://www.carrierojo.etsy.com
http://thedb.com/vintageandvelvet

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head..." U2
Carrie

http://www.carrierojo.etsy.com
http://www.vintageandvelvet.blogspot.com

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head..." U2
Sure wouldn't want to be the driver doing the dumping. A little paving would be in order, we'll put it on the states pavement schedule. Now for sure it'l never happen.
At one time, people scooped lava from flow edges with a long handle melting ladle, hanging inside a tripod. Molds of small tikis were poured full of molten lava. They were for tourists. Later, black sand cast candles and later yet resin saturated solid black sand was used. I bet an original casting would bring a nice sum.
How's about cast building bricks, or if it was your property, level a downslope spot and funnel enough to pour a slab. just hope it doesn't widen. But I don't think Pele would like it, but for sure she'd reject garbage I wouldn't want to be the one to find out.
I assume everyone is familiar with volcanovillage.com! Wow!
Gordon J Tilley
When I go I'd like to have my body thrown into the lava rather than burial or cremation. Talk about recycling, become part of the Big Island, literally.
Steve & Regina
Hawaiian Acres / North Lake Tahoe

'If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there' - George Harrison
Wow! Gorgeous plume & glow tonight! We found a clear view from the Pahoa Dump Smile
* I'd rather fail at happiness than succeed at misery *
Tahunatics ... LOL.

I have always said I just wanted to be chucked out into space but now you have given me food for thought. Hmmmmm

Also, scooping lava into molds right there .... brilliant.
The aformentioned method of burial would solve our remains disposal problem quite well.
However, as a non believer in ghosts and superstition period, I draw the line with Pele. It mght fly if enbalmed with gin, wraooed in ti, and blessd by a real hawaiian kahuna. Flow would have to be hot, and you'd be fully disinfected quick, Health dept would approve. As my experience with a visiting friend , a teacher who insisted on taking peles tears baack to his class on the mainland against my wife's strong rebuke. I too laughed and away he went. 3 months later back the rocks came in the mail with an unbeliveable story of students bringing them back to him with frightening stories of incidents involving same. His scepticism of "superstition" somewhat melted as did mine.
Between that and and my observation of a last gasp eruption of mauna ulu at night from a tent in ffve, a one night blast in the park of a "crack release" at 10pm. we got there at 1045pm (bought beer at Hongo's store in volcano, he opened 10 minutes after the sky lit up) got ringside parking. I could never describe that exprience, Auwe! Added to a short mauna loa flank eruption in the 70s.(Mr hirano called kileuea a friendly volcano, mauna loa was a terrifying volcano), her geological history explains why.
Did you know the hawaiian protests agaist geothermal development in the 70s (after the miserable job the state did on the original kapoho hole), and entering the forest at the end of captains drive(free paving assuged tje ffve residents,but not the hawaiians). Proceeding into the rain forest and cutting a large block of land flat. Man over nature, but not pele! After getting their infrastructure in place, puu'o began, and proceeded to fill it up to her specs filled it full and headed back to the beach.
End of geothermal development by state and uh commitee. Not a broadcasted fact by the state. NOW the rainforest was saved, the hawaiians finally got their own piece of aina, and the lowball loosers limped home! Pele lives, she gets her way. Enjoy her but respect her. Gotta go! aloha!
Gordon J Tilley
quote:
, a teacher who insisted on taking peles tears baack to his class on the mainland against my wife's strong rebuke. I too laughed and away he went. 3 months later back the rocks came in the mail with an unbeliveable story of students bringing them back to him with frightening stories of incidents involving same. His scepticism of "superstition" somewhat melted as did mine.

LOL, yeah, last week I met an Italian couple at Punalu'u. As they were leaving the wife filled up a ziplock of sand for her collection. I told her, thru a painful combo of Italian, French, Spanish & charades that it was bad luck to take Pele's lava, even as sand. She scoffed & said "that's not scientific!" I persisted & explained that the black sand is a limited resource, no luck there either. I gave her my mailing address & told her she could send it back to me in case things go bad. We'll see if I get it back.[Big Grin]
* I'd rather fail at happiness than succeed at misery *
quote:
Originally posted by hooligal
LOL, yeah, last week I met an Italian couple at Punalu'u. As they were leaving the wife filled up a ziplock of sand for her collection. I told her, thru a painful combo of Italian, French, Spanish & charades that it was bad luck to take Pele's lava, even as sand. She scoffed & said "that's not scientific!" I persisted & explained that the black sand is a limited resource, no luck there either. I gave her my mailing address & told her she could send it back to me in case things go bad. We'll see if I get it back.[Big Grin]

I've always heard that the "taking of lava rock" was a rumor started by tour companies so that they wouldn't have to clean up the remnants on their busses.

There is this website that is devoted to teaching people how they can "Return" lava rock once taken.

I had to laugh when I read this:

For taking care of returning your lava rock, a voluntary donation of $15.00 (or whatever you can afford, no matter how small) would be appreciated, to cover our cost for transportation, gas, ti leaf, and orchid, to return your lava rocks. If you can't afford to make a donation, don't worry about it...you may still send us your lava rocks. We will still be happy to take care of returning them for you!

-----------------
Coming home soon!
Uh oh. She's on a roll!

<<Tour pilots yesterday reported what has been confirmed this morning -the southeasternmost rootless shield has breached on the southeast side and issued a vigorous channelized `a`a flow. As of 8 am, that flow had advanced 1.3 miles southeast from the breached rootless shield, 2.2 miles from fissure D, and was 0.8 miles from the upper reaches of Royal Gardens subdivision.>>

This is quite a jump in a relatively short period of time. I hope the few hardy souls remaining in Royal Gardens are aware of this and/or located out of the way of the advance.

Cheers,
Jerry