Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Mainland Exodus
Too many local residents are getting displaced[Sad!]

According to THIS article published yesterday:

Nearly 10,000 Hawaii residents moved from the islands to the mainland in the year ending July 1, the largest exodus in at least eight years, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.

What can be done?

Why should Hawaii residents have to leave Hawaii to find jobs and have roofs over there heads? [V]

-----------------
Coming home soon!
I don't have an answer for you. I do note that the article refers to Hawaii residents, and not to "Hawaiians". The high cost of living is chasing everyone away. That's too bad. I would really hate to see all of the islands become a paradise for only the rich, which is pretty much what I imagine Lanai is becoming ---private jets, enormous estates, 5 star hotels.

The key I think is electing officials who want to preserve, and not sell, what remains of the islands. The conundrum of course is that it takes money to get elected, and the developers have all the money. That's why I favor public financing of elections.
ok, I'll bite, 'cuz I'm one...
I love Hawaii because of the sense of family & community, the laid back aloha attitude, the fact that the weather fits my clothes.
I left Hawaii because nobody there does anything unless they want to. that goes for everyone- especially cops, schools, doctors, and state workers. 'nuff sed.
Miss the aina a lot- I cry every day but I can't live there anymore.

Breathe. Relax. Focus.
Breathe. Relax. Focus.
Nalu -

I feel sorry for you.

What part of the mainland did you move to?

What would it take to bring you home?

-----------------
Coming home soon!
quote:
Originally posted by Nalu Mama

ok, I'll bite, 'cuz I'm one...
I love Hawaii because of the sense of family & community, the laid back aloha attitude, the fact that the weather fits my clothes.
I left Hawaii because nobody there does anything unless they want to. that goes for everyone- especially cops, schools, doctors, and state workers. 'nuff sed.
Miss the aina a lot- I cry every day but I can't live there anymore.

Breathe. Relax. Focus.

Hey don't blame all State Workers[Wink]

-----------------
Coming home soon!
WA state.
It would take stable housing with clean water, a school where the keiki have textbooks AND safety, my husband and I would have to have steady jobs, not work for two weeks then off for a month. We'd need some stability.

Breathe. Relax. Focus.
Breathe. Relax. Focus.
quote:
Originally posted by Damon

Hey don't blame all State Workers[Wink]

-----------------
Coming home soon!

lol true, that!

Breathe. Relax. Focus.
Breathe. Relax. Focus.
quote:
Originally posted by Nalu Mama

How true. It can also grow on you. I have lived here for almost 20 years, it bothered me at the beginning but I got used to it. However, I think it got worst as the population increased during the past several years and it bothers me more and more. (I guess having made a couple of trips to Asia lately opened my eyes more.)

Aloha,
John S. Rabi, ABR,CM,CRB,FHS,RB
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
"The Next Level of Service!"
This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: http://www.nsm88.org/aboutus.html

every year there seems to be plenty of local families moving to the mainland. Gets to the point were they can't afford to live in their own homeland. It's no wonder why so many new residents get the "stink eye", or a middle finger thrusted their way.

For the local families who can't afford the move to the mainland, you find them all living on the beach on the westside of Oahu. 90% of the time it isn't because it's a lifestyle choice, but because they can't afford to even relocate.

What really breaks my heart is when I see the local families that lives on the beach, with both parents working, and their children trying to do homework by flashlight. Knowing that these kids get teased by their peers really bothers me. It bothers me even more knowing there is nothing I can do to help these families too. As my family and I are floating just above water ourselves.

I don't only point the finger at GW. Bush. God knows what he's done to try and wipe out the middle class. But I also blame the previous president, Bilbo Clinton for our problems too. NAFTA has turned out to really screw the middle class big time! To think there are people out there who would waste their vote on Hillary is beyond my comprehension..

Handle every situation like a dog,If you can't eat it or hump it,piss on it and walk away...
-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!
quote:
Originally posted by Beachboy

every year there seems to be plenty of local families moving to the mainland. Gets to the point were they can't afford to live in their own homeland. It's no wonder why so many new residents get the "stink eye", or a middle finger thrusted their way.

For the local families who can't afford the move to the mainland, you find them all living on the beach on the westside of Oahu. 90% of the time it isn't because it's a lifestyle choice, but because they can't afford to even relocate.

What really breaks my heart is when I see the local families that lives on the beach, with both parents working, and their children trying to do homework by flashlight. Knowing that these kids get teased by their peers really bothers me. It bothers me even more knowing there is nothing I can do to help these families too. As my family and I are floating just above water ourselves.

You know there is much truth to what you say BB. However, blaming the mainland politicians for a problem that I feel could be solved locally is not necessarily the answer.

The State of Hawaii used to make it a requirement that you be a resident of Hawaii to be eligible for a State job. Now that anyone can apply, many State jobs have been given to Out of State residents, thus taking away jobs from local residents. Many of them end up on the beach.[V]

-----------------
Coming home soon!