Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HELCO rates question...
I just saw on another thread that someone said they pay 35 cents per KWH.... does anyone know if that is for temporary power or permanent power? We're finishing up our house, and hoping to save a whack of money by switching from temp. power rates to permanent power rates... does anyone know what the savings will be (%)?

Thanks.

Katie and David

Wherever you go, there you are.
Katie..i had temporary for about 8 months and my bill was around 250 per month ..it only dropped about 20 bucks after it went to residential..i have tried many things to lower my electric bill...heater timer, energy saving appliances..to no avail....on oahu my bill was 60-70 per month...
DANG!!! I must have dreamed someone said it would cut your bill by about 1/3!!!!! Major bummer....

Our bill isn't that high, but our house is tiny, and we have propane hot water (on-demand) heater, propane stove/oven, and propane clothes dryer, so I'm assuming that helps a bunch. I'm afraid to see the next bill, because I've been running the dehumidifier a lot lately because I've been painting the interior of the house....

Groan......

Thanks for the ugly truth...
Katie

I think that the rates just went up again and are now at 36 cents per kwh. That's permanent power, not temporary.
Did anyone's rates go up a few months ago? My monthly HELCO bill was about $250, but since November it's averaging about $360. BUMMER!

Aloha!
Aloha!
Ours went up. From Jan last year to Jan this year - rate is now +.35/kwh.
dang hilodiver..i thought i paid alot! yikes [Sad]
mine seems to go up and down..last month was 265..but that was during Christmas with all the lights and stuff..
It was known that this was going to happen.

Saturday, April 7, 2007

The state Public Utilities Commission has given Hawaii Electric Light Co. approval for an interim rate increase of 7.58 percent.

The utility, which serves about 74,000 customers on the Big Island, will generate $24.6 million in annual revenue from the increase, which went into effect Thursday.....As a result of the interim PUC decision, a Big Island residential household using 500 kilowatt-hours a month will see its monthly electric bill increase by $11.41 to $163.42 from $152.01.

You can also check out the differences between the rates between the islands Here

-----------------
Coming home soon!
Golly, a third higher from Oahu to Hilo. Must give much better service, gotta pay for the new solar and wind plants. Mabe we start a new Wave action plant, we're going to have the nations highest electric, but the most diversified, What's next?
Gordon J Tilley
It is amazing sometimes the kinds of things that unsuspectantly drive the power bill up, one that I overlooked was the coffee maker. If you load er up and just push the button and walk away returning only to pour yet another cup remember the hot plate runs a cycle, mine is 3 hours, that was translating to 15.00 mth and that is at a rate 1/3 that of Hawaii. So from now on I brew then shut it off and use the microwave for 1 min to warm it back up should it get time to cool off from brewing. I guess after realizing that coffee gets made everyday rain or shine it is a great place to start looking.

To help, the power companies put out an energy guide to help you understand and find ways to trim the fat so to speak. Here is Heco/Helco 's http://www.heco.com/vcmcontent/StaticFil...06_Web.pdf

hope someone finds it useful

Aloha HADave

S.China / Kurtistown

Every so often, I like to stick my head out the window, look up, and smile for a satellite picture.

Aloha HADave & Mz P

Hawaiian Acres

The best things in life are free.... or have no interest or payments for one full year.