Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HPP General Memebership Meeting 2/24
Pretty sure it's just lot owners who get a vote.
I have a related question: How does HPP include the voices of off-island owners.
Well, I just got home from the meeting. (Good to see ya, Scott. Sorry you guys didn't get to suggest alternatives.)

It seems the paving bids came in at $280,000 per mile, which is 40% over the last quoted estimate and will result in fewer miles being done. They are still planning to do 22nd first, followed by 16th, Beach and improvements to the lower parts of the roads leading up to the highway. If there is any money left after all that, they will do some more cross roads. A homeowner suggested using some of the bond money to improve the roads not being paved, but we were told that is strictly against the terms of the bond contracts. Somewhat to my dismay, the chairman of the Board cut off discussion on the road situation before everyone had a chance to ask questions. Comments were allowed at the end of the meeting, however, but no more questions.

As far as off-island representation and participation goes, you have to be in attendance to participate in General Membership meetings. Renters are not allowed to participate. Board elections and major matters such as the bond issue are voted on by mail, so any lot or home owner anywhere can participate on that level. Of course a LOT of people think the bond election was something of a farce, given the limited amount of paving now to be done vs. what we were led to believe back then.

On a positive note, the Association Park Committee is in serious negotiations with the County to convert the 20 acre parcel at the corner of 15-16th and Makuu into a fully equipped county park. The Association will deed them the land in return for a community steering committee with a lot of influence over the planning, construction, and operation of the park. Money for an environmental assessment has apparently already been appropriated. They are talking about putting in ball fields, children's playgrounds, a gym, and swimming pool. Of course it may be 2030 by the time they appropriate the money to build any or all that. (Sorry, my cynical side just jumped out.)

Cheers,
Jerry
Is the association a 501 © 3?
Or, you, yes YOU can buy one of the Watamull's 20 acre chunks for a mere <insert Dr. Evil voice here> MILLION DOLLARS!

[Sarcasm, you're soaking in it -- but the property really is for sale]

John Dirgo, R, ABR, e-PRO
Aloha Coast Realty, LLC
808-987-9243 cell
http://www.alohacoastrealty.com
John Dirgo, R, PB, EcoBroker, ABR, e-PRO
Aloha Coast Realty, LLC
808-987-9243 cell
http://www.alohacoastrealty.com
http://www.bigislandvacationrentals.com
http://www.maui-vacation-rentals.com
ROFLOL, John. Somebody at yesterday's meeting suggested that we sue the Watamulls for the poor roads they bequeathed to us when they subdivided. That was not an unpopular sentiment among the crowd, but an attorney present pointed out that it was way too late for that. (Maybe they would be good sports and give us the million dollars should somebody be dumb enough to pay that without rezoning or public road access[Wink])

Someone else suggested that we try to get the County to pay us for the 20 acres the park is supposed to occupy. Of course, anybody who knows anything about the County knew better than that, and everyone seemed to agree that we should give it to them. The HPPOA Parks Committee did, however, have the presence of mind and good sense to make the land transfer void if the County does not follow through with facilities development. Negotiations continue. Stay tuned. Never a dull moment in HPP politics.

Cheers,
Jerry
So far none of you HPP residents have responded to questions regarding "chip seal". It was recomended to our subdivision by the guy at Big Island Asphalt (not a paving contractor, but a supplier).

I've seen it in several locations; Black Sands and Kapoho Kai, among others. It seems to perform well, and is easy to maintain without expensive equipment.

Are you looking into it? You could pave four times the area as asphalt for the same money, and eliminate dust.

OK, It's none of my business; Still, My guitar gently weeps.
Greg, the HPP Road Paving Committee has persistently stuck to their policy of obtaining "quality" paving. (Never mind the fact that, by their own admission, what they are going to get will not even be close to County standards.) Whenever chipseal or other options are mentioned, we get told that the quality would be such that the eventual maintenance cost would be more than the initial savings. I don't necessarily agree with that position, but the Board doesn't seem to want to consider anything else.

Cheers,
Jerry
Just received email notice of yet another special meeting of the BOD:

On Monday, March 3rd a Special Meeting of the Board of Directors will be held at the HPPOA Activity Center Library. The purpose of the meeting is to award the bid for the first phase of paving.

too soon old, too late smart
I don't know how I got over the hill without getting to the top.
Second email from HPPOA:

The special board meeting is Monday March 3rd, at 6:00pm.

too soon old, too late smart
I don't know how I got over the hill without getting to the top.