Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Volcano is Acting Up #3: Pele is Smoking!
Marcia, Try "The Lymans of Hilo", about the missionary family. It has eyewitness accounts of eruptions and the magnitude 8 earthquake of 1868.
we just got back...the lava is at the turnaround. The road does say "closed" (Carey you were right!)...but there must have been 100 people there with cars parked all the way along the one lane dirt road up to the new lava crossing. It was beautiful to see...glad we got in before they most likely do close it "for real". It did seem a little nuts to be standing right in front of her as she inches forward toward the ocean...and some people were being disrespectful in my opinion...doing stupid stuff....
I found an interesting new site tracking SO2.
ftp://gp16.ssd.nesdis.noaa.gov/pub/OMI/O...index.html
If you select Hawaii, you can see the level of output from our favorite volcano.
Enough SO2 emissions from all these active volcanoes could cool the earth significantly.
c
Marcia, you might also look for "An autobiographic Sketch of Life in Hawaii" by Rev. Dr. Titus Coan. He describes the 1840 flow that went through Nanawale among many other subjects. He was the basis for the character Rev. Abner Hale in Micheners book Hawaii.
Well it looks like now you won't be able to get up close and personal with the lava flow.

http://starbulletin.com/2008/03/05/news/story07.html

All I can say is that we are glad we got to see it the last few days and watch the changes!

How much are we going to owe Al Gore for Carbon Credits?
Gordon J Tilley
Tacking these messages on to the ACTIVE volcano thread. Mine!

Here's some pics from last night.
http://www.kohledfusion.com/hawaii/rava03042008

I named this little Ohia "Glen" Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
http://www.kohledfusion.com/hawaii/rava0...10158.html

These movies and photos are hosted on my OWN site, so please just view them once & don't send the link around off Punaweb yet. I need to keep my site bandwidth under the limit.
I'm slowly moving the movies to YouTube & pics to Punawebfriends...I'll give the all clear when they can be shared with the public.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edited by - hooligal on 03/05/2008 10:22:54

StillHope

USA
43 Posts
Posted - 03/05/2008 : 10:34:13
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aloha,Hooligal!
There was Yahoo "Puna friends" created for this forum members by oink(?)to post pictures and City-data.com (Hawaii section) forum allows to post Hawaii-related pictures.
Buy the way,a question for you as a computer expert:
when I use Firefox on "Punafriends" I can not view any pictures at all.It says"album is empty".No problem with IE.Is Firefox problem fixable?
Sometimes it doesn't show the picture,but right clicking/view helps.But on Punafriends nothing works.
I think FF is just being "too secure" since the "pictures" can be something else..

Love the PIC of "GLEN Ohia". Nice tribute to Puna's own! AND
WOW [Big Grin] Up close and personal pics!. Stay safe though, looks toasty to toes!!

Lika

"To err is human, to forgive divine"
Lika

"To err is human, to forgive divine"
The link to the Titus Coan story on a UH web site is http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/GG/HCV/COAN/coan-intro.html. It's a web version of Coan's autobiography scanned and transcribed by his grandson. I found it very interesting for the most part with the descriptions of the "rivers of fire" that Coan witnessed. What was also evident in many places was Coan's toward the kanaka maoli, the native population, who rather fell beneath his good wishes to the extent they were not on his religious side. For instance, in looking up information on the 1840 flow that likely passed over our property I found this, which also gives some flavor of his writing:

quote:
After years of kind instructions with the hope of leading them to appreciate the love of God and the value of a true Christianity, they remained the same hardened beings. My patience and desire to lead them to "the Lamb of God" continued; but thinking of what the Saviour said to His disciples about "shaking off the dust of their feet," I resolved on a trial, hoping to win them into a better way...They settled near the borders of the lava stream, and in the year 1853 the small-pox fell among them (the only place in Puna where the disease went), and a large part of them died. There was no physician within eighteen miles, and the poor creatures knew not what to do. Some bathed in the sea to cool the burning heat, and perished, and some crawled out into the jungle and there died, and were torn and partly eaten by swine. They had fled from the devouring fire only to meet, if possible, a more painful doom, and it reminds one of the words of Jeremiah uttered against the stubborn Moabites: "He that fleeth from the fear shall fall into the pit, and he that getteth up out of the pit shall be taken in the snare."

That the small-pox should find them and no one else in Puna seems remarkable; but these are the facts. A number of these villagers were visiting in Honolulu when the fearful disease raged there. They thought to escape it by returning home, but unknown to them the destroyer had already seized them and they perished in their wild, secluded jungle. I visited this scene of sorrow and desolation, gathered the stricken remnant of the sufferers, spoke words of condolence, and encouraged them to come with their sins and sorrows to the Saviour. They seemed subdued, welcomed their pastor, and were, I trust, "saved yet so as by fire."