Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Road Safety in Pahoa
My top three Hawaii Road Rule Pet Peeves (which I've seen be the cause of many accidents and near misses)

#3. Right turning traffic YIELDS to left turning traffic, sometimes. The 130/Malama (Pahoa Village Rd.)intersection is one example. People travelling south on 130 then turning Right onto Pahoa Village Rd. are supposed to YIELD to the drivers going northbound on 130 then turning Left onto Pahoa Village Rd. It seems a large percentage don't, so the the left turning traffic either hesitates, yields, or has a near miss. Now the drivers coming OUT of Pahoa Village Rd. whom are turning left need to read everyone elses mind, make a judgement call, say a prayer, gun the gas and attempt to turn left and head north on 130.

#2. Short left merge/stop lane. Think Kaloli/130 intersection. Drivers attempting to take a left out of Kaloli and head south on 130 will pull into the merge lane and stop to wait for traffic. Drivers travelling south on 130 who need to turn left onto Kaloli now have their view of the 130 northbound traffic blocked so they will now make a judgement call, say a prayer, gun the gas and attempt to blindly turn onto Kaloli. Happens everyday, all day long.

#1. My absolute most irritating, frustrating, and dangerous pet peeve is... Pedestrian cross-walk signals that coincide with GREEN traffic lights! I have seen way too many near misses, especially in school zones. Go sit at the McDonalds intersection in Keaau when school gets out and watch the pedestrian signal send the little children over the cross walk while at the same time the GREEN traffic signal will send LEFT AND RIGHT turning traffic over the same cross-walk at the very same time. Don't the powers that be realize that when a walk signal engages all lights at the intersection should turn RED?
At Councilwoman Naeole's first service fair in Pahoa, I talked to some of the DOT guys about roundabouts. Apparently there had been some political pressure to try one, and they even had a diagram of one for Kahakai, but their attitude was entirely negative. They told me that the local drivers did not have the necessary merging skills to negotiate roundabouts and that there would be multiple accidents while they learned, that is if they ever did. When I pointed out that the accidents, if indeed there were some, would be at lower speeds and far less likely to be head-on or t-bone, they just looked at me.

I have dealt with roundabouts in the UK and initially did not like them, but have changed my opinion about them over time. While they are not a panacea for our sort of traffic problems, they are worth trying. Why? Because if we are not going to end up with our own little LA or Atlanta, we need to try something different. In my perverse little world, the fact that the DOT doesn't seem to like them is a BIG reason to give them a try. I don't see how they could make things any worse.

Cheers,
Jerry
Hi Jerry, I talked to them that day too. They seemed like they begrudgedly worked up a drawing of a roundabout just so they could say they were addressing community input.

When the STIP meeting occurred in August I listened to the DOT officals beat around the bush on the subject so I tried to pin them down and extracted a promise that they would produce a cost/benefit analysis for roundabouts vs signalized interestions. I do not claim to be a big advocate of roundabouts. I just think that, for intellectual honesty alone, the subject should be considered seriously by the DOT and then let's all examine the facts.

To date the DOT has failed to produce the cost /benefit chart. I intend to continue to press them on it.

Like you I have lived with roundabouts in Europe and found them practical and convenient in the country and suburbs but a bit scary in mid city locations. By scary I mean when they have 6 lanes of traffic running in a roundabout - something very unlikely here.

Mostly this topic is subject to general indifference on the part of the traffic engineers. They know how to spend major money building major highways. Look at Honolulu. That is where they practice. What I and others here would like to avoid is Honolulu type traffic solutions.

We'll just have to see how successful the residents in Puna will be in getting safer roads instead of just getting bigger and faster roads.

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Roundabouts were a major part of the Governors EAST HAWAII COUNCIL OF ADVISORS discussion held at Keaau Elementary School 2 weeks ago Last Year.

You can read the minutes here

It looks like from the public testimony that was given (9 people)

That it was almost split down the middle in Support and Non Support:

Public Testimony:

1. Mannie Mattos: Will it work on Highway 130 with 55 mph? Need to slow
down when one approach roundabout. Is not in support.
2. Star Newman: Save in gasoline consumption, 25-30%. It’s slower but full
flow of traffic. Would like support form the council for the Safe Baby
Resolution.
3. Jon Olson: Supports Roundabouts. Would like the state to consider using
them. Cost of roundabouts is less than traffic lights.
4. Elizabeth Wheatherford- Supports roundabouts. Thinks they are a good
idea.
5. Gene Lamkin-Does not supports roundabouts being used on Highway 130.
6. James Wheatherford- Supports roundabouts on Highway 130.
7. John Ota- Not in favor of roundabouts. Public will need education and they will cost too much. Submitted testimony (attached).
8. Stephanie Bath- Is opened minded to the idea of using roundabouts.
9. Brian Thurston: Supports roundabouts on Highway 130

-------
Today in History
The Supreme Court ruled in Dred Scott v. Sandford that slaves were not citizens, 1857
Well, I finally heard back from my friend. Thank goodness. It turned out he had been out of cell phone range all along.

This doesn't make me any less concerned though, as a person is dead, even if it isn't one of my loved ones. I'm still going to work out a petition, call the county office, demand to speak with Lingle directly if I have to! But not before giving my friend a giant hug and telling him how much I love him....

Again, anyone interested in volunteering to get some changes made around here, please email me.

"The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones that never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars."
"How do you know i am mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the cat "or you wouldnt have come here."
lotus, count me in once we are on island. I have lived
and grown up with "roundabouts" or as we call them in Ma.
rotaries ! We have lots of them, in country and big towns/cities.
It's like being on a merry go round! but it really does cut down on the speed. Navigating them is not hard at a slow pace! One of our rotaries has 7 roads entering, and we all swing slowly around to our destination exit, in addition, there are entrances to McDonalds and a convenience store on said rotary! Ya hoo! In my opinion (IMO), anyone, any age, can navigate once they get used to.

Lika

"To err is human, to forgive divine"
Lika

"To err is human, to forgive divine"
Lotus,

Kerouac! Good one!**S**

"...the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everyone goes "Awww! ~ " — Jack Kerouac

Rob, Mahalo for your group, Friends of Puna's Future.

Looking forward to updates.

Lee Eisenstein
http://members.cruzio.com/~lionel/event

"Be kinder than necessary, as everyone you meet is engaged in some kind of strudel."
I vaguely remember reading (somewhere) years ago about a study that indicated tendencies to speed and otherwise ignore traffic violations were highly correlated with lack of enforcement. There's always a segment of any population that only feels rules apply to them if they think there's a good chance of getting caught. It's hardly rocket science to enforce speeding. I've seen more reckless driving in Hawaii than any other place I've been around the US. Certainly part of the reason is poor traffic control and access conditions which tends to make people take chances, but even simply enforcing reasonable speed limits and stupid driving would go a long way.
I find it interesting that no one brought up the issue of a helmut law in Hawaii to go along with safety on roads.

Has there been a newspaper article about the recent accident at Malama intersection? I haven't found one and was wondering if any charges have been made.

I know the victim on the motorbike. He's hospitalized on Oahu and his family's there with him. He has a traumatically amputated left leg, a shattered right leg, pelvis, and head injuries. He has survived, but I can't even imagine how this will effect him and his family.

Here's my understanding of what happened;
An SUV was making a dangerous multiple pass, and when they determined they weren't going to make it they avoided serious damage to themself by pulling back and running over my friend on his motorbike.

I don't know if the SUV driver was impared or not, but his/her actions stink of vehicular manslaughter. That's why I'm interested in any news accounts, or if any charges have been filed.