Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
yurt living
hey yurtgirl, dont stop with the advice just because some people are looking at resale value, I for,[8D][8D] one am not, i have loved the hawaiin islands for a long time and thought it was out of my reach until i discovered the big island, I want a living structure that is affordable, and i like the idea its moveable, i hear the burn out rate for island fever is around five years, i would hate to come over build a home and dicover in 5 years that i cant hack it living on a island, therfore i could sell the land and take my yurt somewhere else, but if i build a house i herte their are lots of vacant homes on the big island,
We have a problem here in Idaho with the californians moving in and building 700,000 homes only to find out they cant handle the winters here so they move back to cali leaving a monsterouse home that locals cannot afford plus it jacks up the property value which in turn raises all our taxes,so if you come to idaho dont tell anyone your from cali, no one will help you, I can undestand why locals on the island give the stink eye to the non native people moving in and building huge homes just so they can vacation, those people dont realize the damage they do to the community.
I am still interested in a yurt and any other affordable housing, and would still like to talk to those living in a yurt escpecially if your living off the grid?

setting my soul free....
setting my soul free....
I have been in a real yurt in the Denver museum and, trust me, these canvas and/or vinyl yurts are nothing like them. First of all, they are entirely covered with skins outside and beautiful, handwoven rugs inside, on the walls, floor, etc. There are no windows and they are smaller than any 'yurt' I have ever seen in the US. The folding walls are beautiful and hand-hewn with much bigger 'slats' and fewer of them.

I think you are splitting hairs to say that only your idea of a yurt is a yurt, Fitz.

My comment was on the beauty and unique quality of the living space. I think you would have quite a discussion on your hands if you spoke to the originator of California Yurts, David Raitt, or any of the people who live in these structures.

I would not run a de-humidifier on a generator. But I would run fans on solar. Did you keep the air circulating? And where did you live on HI in a yurt?

I have lived off the grid for 30 years. It is easy and wonderful, but one must be frugal with their energy use or else put in a huge system. One drawback of being off-grid is having a battery bank -- more expense and not terrifically environmental. With good care, deep cycle batteries can last 10 years. Living off grid in HI is very easy. I have not lived in a canvas yurt, but in the summer I put up my tipi and that is an incredibly pleasant way to live, especially in mild weather.

april
april
I personally have not lived in a yurt (although, as has been pointed out here, if it ain't made of yak, maybe neither have you). As I said in my very first post on this thread, however, I do know a number of people that have them for various purposes on their properties. And those people do love them for many of the reasons you've stated. I've spent a lot of time in their yurts and enjoyed them a lot. Those friends of mine chose to build yurts after being fully and impartially informed of all the factors that affect yurts, both the positives and the negatives.

My sole interest in not in "resale value". If anything, my sole interest is in people making informed decisions. Your claims (now clearly made with absolutely no first- or even second-hand knowledge) that they can be financed contradicted my direct experience. I asked (several times) if you could point me toward lenders that would work with yurt owners and you avoided the question. I didn't ask the question in order to do anything other than to find new information that would help me help people. Believe me, I wanted what I had found out through research and experience to be wrong. I wanted there to be lenders that would work with yurt owners so that more options to people were available. If you have no direct financial interest in selling yurts, I'm sorry for implying that. I sell real estate every day, but you sounded more a salesperson than me. Imagine if I had this conversation:

Person A: "This is really nice, what are the financing options?"
Person B: "These are architect designed and you need to emphasize that to people. They have excellent hurricane protection."
Person A: "But what about the financing."
Person B: "They are economical to build and often can be assembled in as little as several days, if the site is well prepared."
Person A: "Hello! I'm asking about financing."

I fully agree that yurts are a wonderful option for many people and in many situations. My friend's yurts are attractive, functional for their purposes and were quick and easy to build. They knew that if they went to sell, they probably would, at best, re-coup their cost and that the pool of potential buyers would be limited due to the lack of financing options. They made an informed decision based on full knowledge of both the positives and the negatives.

That's all I've ever been saying. I just don't want someone to sink a significant portion of their savings into buying land and building a yurt only to find out a few years later that no one told them about the lack of financing and that the only ways for them to sell it would probably be to cash buyers or by offering seller financing. That would be a rude awakening that no one deserves.

I enjoy learning more about different types of structures and hope that conversation continues. But let's be clear -- one-sided discussions of only the positives and avoiding questions about potential negatives serves no one well.

John Dirgo, R, ABR, e-PRO
Aloha Coast Realty, LLC
808-987-9243 cell
http://www.alohacoastrealty.com
John Dirgo, R, PB, EcoBroker, ABR, e-PRO
Aloha Coast Realty, LLC
808-987-9243 cell
http://www.alohacoastrealty.com
http://www.bigislandvacationrentals.com
http://www.maui-vacation-rentals.com
Good morning all.

Sorry, don't mean to be dogmatic about "yurt" definition. I defer in my definition to the people of the Mongolian and Tibetan steppe that invented them, and as you observe it the museum piece the modern interpretations are pretty different. As well, far be it from me to tell anyone how to live, and of the time I spent in the yurt, I more or less enjoyed it, and if the notion turns your crank, go for it. It's a fine adventure and perhaps fine for some. But, if the issue is if or no it's a practical, cost-effective and low impact way of building--well, not really. It's clear to me that the appeal of the yurt here is primarily the notion not that it's better than a small wooden cabin of similar size, only that it's cheaper and easier and faster to set up. And none of that is true. The yurt itself may be mobile, but its platform and other systems aren't really--and in any case, I often build cabins with deck screws so that they can be disassembled and moved and the lumber reused. The skills required to just pop up a small cabin on a remote site aren't had by many, but I think most of you with a little guidance are capable of acquiring them and in any rate they're skills needed by any who entertain the notion of an off grid lifestyle. Really, one needs those skills even to entertain the notion one's preference to the type of structure. Most any modest structure of any sort will cost 75 to 100 a square foot regardless of its type, and the shell is the cheapest part. It's not good stewardship of resources to build anything out of any material that is short lived and more or less disposable. A good wooden cabin will go a 100 years with ease, and if a yurt goes 15 to 20 and costs near the same, I'd suggest it's much less respectful of the material costs.

Anyhow, a very wise person once suggested to me that unless one has built a home with their own hands at least once in their life(and that means build, not purchase) one has missed out on a very basic and important human experience. I find that observation profound, and would say go for it, in what ever way you can, the best way you are able.

Good luck!
quote:
Originally posted by Damon

quote:
Originally posted by jdirgo

...If you have no direct financial interest in selling yurts, I'm sorry for implying that. I sell real estate every day, but you sounded more a salesperson than me....

*cough* [}Smile] [Wink] a little something to chew on dirgo:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/hawaii/11...wai-i.html
Something to think about. I have a bit of knowledge in the area if anyone wants to shoot some questions my way, feel free! Aloha.
Melissa
http://www.yurtsofhawaii.com/

-------
Today in History
The Great Mahele (land division) was signed into law, 1848

Damon, jdirga, It is no secret that I spend my time and make a living helping people with yurts. It never has been since I began doing so. My contact information listed here is directly through the company website and my screen name is "Yurt Girl", hardly undercover, so please don't imply shadiness of character simply because I have made yurts my business. That is a benefit, not a downfall. A lot of my time is spent trying to sort out misconceptions that are commonly held about yurts. That is why I started a thread and commented on previous threads regarding yurts here and on city-data forum. I believed that it would be a great way to discuss the topic and share some insights with a broad group of people who had an interest in the discussion for whatever purposes. People can all chime in and discuss pros and cons here, it's a great thing. Sometimes other people's opinions can cause one to dismiss a great idea that would work well for them. When I found this forum and city-data forum I knew that it would be a good thing to get involved and share some experiences. My aim is to accentuate the many positives, pose possible solutions that I have witnessed people succeed with in the past when faced with the negatives, discuss what I know about these structures and point people in directions of getting more informed about yurts from the people that know and love them. I have never claimed otherwise, nor have I tried to hide the fact of what I do. I started my business almost 3 years ago when I was a struggling student looking for a better alternative than paying outrageously high rent. This solution worked for me and I realized that it could work for many people. Also, jdirga, when I respond to these threads I am not typically just responding to one person (you), I am often responding to a few posts at a time, sorry for any confusion or if you thought I was avoiding your questions, I was actually trying to bring up some options and ways to successfully navigate the process of yurt building as well as clarify some information of previous posts. That is what I will continue to do. It would be great if we could combine the threads so all comments were under the same thread... if anyone knows how to do that I'd welcome the advice. I'm out for the weekend, seems certain there will be plenty more to discuss here come Monday. Until then~
Yurt Girl
Melissa Fletcher
quote:
Originally posted by aprild

I have been in a real yurt in the Denver museum and, trust me, these canvas and/or vinyl yurts are nothing like them. First of all, they are entirely covered with skins outside and beautiful, handwoven rugs inside, on the walls, floor, etc. There are no windows and they are smaller than any 'yurt' I have ever seen in the US. The folding walls are beautiful and hand-hewn with much bigger 'slats' and fewer of them.

I think you are splitting hairs to say that only your idea of a yurt is a yurt, Fitz.

My comment was on the beauty and unique quality of the living space. I think you would have quite a discussion on your hands if you spoke to the originator of California Yurts, David Raitt, or any of the people who live in these structures.

I would not run a de-humidifier on a generator. But I would run fans on solar. Did you keep the air circulating? And where did you live on HI in a yurt?

I have lived off the grid for 30 years. It is easy and wonderful, but one must be frugal with their energy use or else put in a huge system. One drawback of being off-grid is having a battery bank -- more expense and not terrifically environmental. With good care, deep cycle batteries can last 10 years. Living off grid in HI is very easy. I have not lived in a canvas yurt, but in the summer I put up my tipi and that is an incredibly pleasant way to live, especially in mild weather.

april

Glad to see your comments here April. There are many similarities to the way Tipis and yurts 'work'. I agree with you that it is "...an incredibly pleasant way to live". What style tipi do you use?
Melissa Fletcher
quote:
Originally posted by YurtGirl
Damon, jdirga, It is no secret that I spend my time and make a living helping people with yurts.........

I question how much it "helps" people by advising them into purchasing something that maybe hard to sell later on... that's all.

Thanks for your clarification though.

Sounds like your making your money and that's what's important to you.[^]

-------
Today in History
quote:
Originally posted by Damon

quote:
Damon, jdirga, It is no secret that I spend my time and make a living helping people with yurts.........

I question how much it "helps" people by advising them into purchasing something that maybe hard to sell later on... that's all.

Thanks for your clarification though.

Sounds like your making your money and that's what's important to you.[^]

-------
Today in History

Yurts help people who can't afford to spend a ton of money on building. Yurts help people by offering a way to own their own home. Yurts help people by providing a beautiful and secure shelter. We make minimal profits to provide a needed service and donate a lot of time to housing and homeless issues here on the Big Island. Would you kindly stop with the overt insinuations that I am only concerned with money? I would appreciate that. If you had any actual dealings with me then you would realize that this is not the case whatsoever. And why do several of you insist on trying to take these discussions to a personal level? It does not facilitate real communication in any discussion to level unbased accusations and insults.
Melissa Fletcher
quote:
Yurts help people who can't afford to spend a ton of money on building. Yurts help people by offering a way to own their own home. Yurts help people by providing a beautiful and secure shelter. We make minimal profits to provide a needed service and donate a lot of time to housing and homeless issues here on the Big Island. ...

Nothing personal Yurtgirl. It just seems like your advertising more then consulting us.

From your own website:

Consultation: How much consultation does the $400 fee buy? Is there an hourly rate, instead?"
$400 gets 2 days, 4 hours each day. An hourly rate would be $50 an hour.

$400.00 for 8 hours of Consultation! [^]

I knew I was in the wrong business. [Wink]

-------
Today in History
Preface: I really must say that I am having a huge problem with the rampant "taking of others' inventory" that is going on in this forum lately. Geesh. How about walking a mile in another's moccasins for Buddha's sake?

Jay, Point taken about use of materials that don't degrade quickly. I hate throwing stuff, especially lots of stuff and poisonous stuff, away. And using materials that are biodegradable is also a plus. Good point. I will re-think my canvas yurt plan for Maui. I was hoping for a less than permanent, perhaps, no permit needed structure, though. A cabin usually precludes a round structure, too. Round structures are so charming...and more expensive to build--at least more difficult to build.

The yurt I originally fell in love with was a plain white canvas yurt anyhow. I love how the sun lights it up inside. This wouldn't last long in a rainy climate, though.

Yurt Girl, My tipi is, I guess, a plains tipi style made by folks in Marin out of canvas sailcloth. I like it white so I don't let it stay out in the winter.

I just spoke with Pacific Yurts in Oregon and they say that only personal loans are available for financing their yurts. Also they warranty their heavy duty top for 15 years, have been in business for 17 years and haven't had to replace one yet. Here is their number: 800-944-0240 if you'd like to ask them questions.

What is wrong with self-financing the property for a re-sale? This can be a nice return on your money--usually a higher percentage than you can get elsewhere these days.

I am really glad that this subject came up. Jay, you have brought up issues that I hadn't addressed.

april
april