Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gay Couple Denied UH Housing
http://kgmb9.com/main/content/view/4663/40/

This pisses me off. Why shouldn't these two be able to live together?

I remember living at UH Hilo dorms and thinking...shat... If my girlfriend and I would be allowed to live in the same dorm room... then we would be able to save a lot of money.

I never raise stink about it but then thought about it later on...

If it was two guys requesting the same room there wouldn't be any stink...what if the two guys were gay....

Then I started thinking... why should two gay guys get to live together but two people 18 years of older couldn't?

At anyrate... you see where I'm going here.

Housing should not be discriminated on sexuality..... NO MATTER WHAT.

I hope these guys win there suit.

-------
Today in History:
Pacific Commercial Advertiser announced that the Volcano House was open for business, 1866
We all watch the news.....why do you have to post every story on this board????
What does this have to do with the subject matter?

And no... not everyone watches the news.

And you know what Loretta, the majority of the things you see me post... are before the news comes out.

Everyonce in awhile I will post old news. I very rarely post "old" news...in fact... a little birdie tells me they get some of their leads from punaweb now.

Back to the subject matter at hand.

Why shouldn't housing be open to all people regardless of sex. It would save a lot of couples money (regardless of sex)

-------
Today in History:
Pacific Commercial Advertiser announced that the Volcano House was open for business, 1866
quote:
Originally posted by Loretta

We all watch the news.....why do you have to post every story on this board????

I forgot to mention... I broke this story to Punaweb earlier in the day here on punaweb:

http://www.punaweb.org/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5118

Lawsuit filed Against UH:

At a press conference today, Lambda Legal announced its intent to filea lawsuit against the University of Hawai`i, representing Phi Ngo and Joseph O'Leary, a gay couple not allowed to move back into family housing after living there for one year.

Had you checked Punaweb earlier in the day.... you would have heard about this before the news. [8D]

Why people trip... I will never figure it out.

-------
Today in History:
Damon,

I kind of agree with Loretta. You've been very, very busy on Punaweb today.
Take a break and relax. Punaweb is not necessarily the AP wire.

Punaweb moderator
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Rob...

This is the PC way to say things... [Big Grin]

Slow down... this aint the mainland [Smile]

I give you guys a break tomorrow. [:o)]

-------
Today in History:
Maholo Damon for posting this story. We are off island right now and
and probabily would have missed this story.

Discrimination sucks,
Not bringing it to light sucks even more.

Aloha
Wyatt
"Yearn to understand first and to be understood second."
-- Beca Lewis Allen
I don't see any reason why we need to hold students hands through school, no one's going to give them housing after they grad, why start now? I think they'd appreciate school better if they had to fend for themselves at their own expense! Education should be UH's only job!
Gordon J Tilley
Most big colleges spend more on football than anything else, education included. June Jones was making way more than any professor employed by UH. Sad but true.
I think the plaintiffs are using as their main legal point the fact that UH offers faculty members same sex partner benifits (of various types) while denying students in same-sex relationships the advantages of married student housing. The rules apparently state that the housing is for "legally married couples," and state law defines marriage as between one man and one woman. To add insult to injury the gay couple in question were allowed to live there for a year before being told it was a "mistake."