Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Volcano is Acting Up #3: Pele is Smoking!
Today's HVO update reports "dull incandescence" emanating from the new gas vent in Halema'uma'u Crater. http://volcano.wr.usgs.gov/kilaueastatus.php The experts seem somewhat puzzled since most of the indicators of a summit eruption are NOT present, but you have to wonder. The Bear and I are thinking about going up there to check it out while it's still at least partially open.

Cheers,
Jerry
We just got back from HVNP, and the new gas vent in the crater is cranking. It's a most impressive sight, and we understand now why they have had to close areas downwind. The gas cloud is frequently hugging the ground once it passes over the lip of the crater, so I am sure the concentrations of SO2 are dangerous. We also noticed that all the usual steam vents are more active than normal and there are some that weren't there before.

After looking at the crater for a while, we went down to Mauna Ulu and Puu Huluhulu. Not only was Mauna Ulu steaming far more than usual, but there is apparently a lengthy fissure down rift from there that is either steaming or gassing along its entire length which we estimated at a quarter mile.

Verrrrry interesting stuff going on. Two rangers told us that even though the scientists are saying a summit eruption is not in the offing, they are not convinced. Apparently the gas emitted from the vent in the crater was so hot last night that it caused the surrounding rock to glow a dull red.

Cheers,
Jerry
We've been in Oahu all week. Yesterday's Advertiser showed a pick up truck on fire due to Madame Pele. Was that an abandon or a not too bright parking valet?
Mahalo for the detailed onsite report, Jerry. I guess the difference between the scientists and the park rangers is that the scientists are naturally conservative because they must base their conclusions on observable, quantifiable phenomena, and must also avoid alarming the public. But predicting the eruption of a volcano is still more an art than a science. And understanding the flashpoint of a volcano goddess is more in the realm of the mythologist and the seer or regular guy. I mean, who knows when a volcano goddess is going to go off? The scientist will dryly quantify every writhing motion until she just erupts all over the place, shooting hot magma in every direction. Then they will say there is an eruption. They won't acknowledge the obvious until it is upon us. Regular guys know though: she's about to do something.

From what I have read, after becoming a spirit goddess she came to Hawai'i Island to make a home to receive a lover (she dug a pit with a stick called an o'o --so much cheaper than a D9!). The whole lover thing hadn't worked out that well before (does it ever?). Most of her lovers didn't survive the experience unscathed. On Hawai'i, she approached Ohia but he had a conflict: he already had a lover (Dude: Go for the Volcano Goddess --You only live once!). She turned him into an ugly tree with gray leaves. Ouch. The gray was just gratuitous if you ask me.

Anyway, she has a temper (she's a goddess among mortals ---of course she has a temper). I think she would be the first to admit it. But she is powerful and can take on so many beautiful forms. You never know when you might encounter her, they say.

We have to be very careful right now as she is in a transitional phrase and may be very sensitive. And we do not know who her "kahu" is. She can take possession of a human without their knowing it. Her kahu could be anybody. Take extra care not to unsettle anyone in these coming weeks. And if you see a beautiful apparition by the road with her thumb out, pick her up, but don't try to pick her up, if you get my drift. She will choose you, leave you be, or turn you into a gnarled gray tree. Her choice.

In the meantime, Pele, or your kahu: I am so sorry for anything I have said or done to disturb your quiet splendor. Return to your beautiful dreaming and I will return to mine. Forgive me, but in my dreams I am gazing into the smoldering embers of your kahu’s eyes, as we recline by a river of fire.

Glen

Ditto to Glen's last post and Pele I PROMISE to return all the black and green sand I brought back to the mainland with me last trip there. My juju is not real good right now and I know why [Sad]
Here are a few legends:
http://www.mythicalrealm.com/legends/pele.html
http://www.sacred-texts.com/pac/hlov/

http://www.goddessgift.com/goddess-myths...s-pele.htm

http://www.sacred-texts.com/pac/hlov/hlov15.htm

Yes, I too appreciated that on site report!

I'm going to go ahead and say I do not literally believe in Pele, the female goddess, as the power behind the volcano. Which is funny perhaps in that I specialized in folklore and mythology when doing my work in English. But I was focused on the psychological symbolic content, not on animistic beliefs.

I mean no disrespect, however!

From what I can tell by my simple reading of the last major summit eruptions, there was always noticeable inflation beforehand so that they knew magma was coming into place. The gas, the seismicity, and the inflation. Here the seismicity is apparently not "harmonic" yet and the inflation isn't remarkable.

Even so, clearly the heat is shifting around, and I would not be surprised if we had a new summit eruption following on the heels of this new development. It seems to me that magma can arrive without much preamble, at which point the scientists can say all the signs are present. They are simply not present this morning.

Well, they may be, I haven't checked today's news yet.
Anyhow, that's my layman's view of why the rangers feel something coming, but the scientists can't commit. Scientists have to rely on their criteria being met; they are not in the business of prediction. Until there is measurable sign of magma under the surface puffing things out like a throbbing boil, it is just gas. Indigestion, not spewing. But for the rest of us, where there's indigestion, we know spewing may be just around the bend. [:p]
Looks like Pele is not only smoking....she's got gas too.

http://starbulletin.com/2008/03/18/news/story03.html
quote:
Originally posted by KathyH

...I'm going to go ahead and say I do not literally believe in Pele, the female goddess, as the power behind the volcano...[:p]

I hope that Madame Pele doesn't read PUNAWEB, because I'm not a believer, either.

No, wait, Pele might be reading this. How do I know she isn't? I take it back, Pele. I do believe, I do believe, I do believe. KathyH blasphemes!!! She's a witch!!! It's all her fault I said I didn't believe.

Just kidding. All in good fun.[8D]

I am excitedly watching all the developments. I check into the HVO website about daily. Thanks, all, for your eyewitness additions (here) to the relatively dry discussions on HVO's website.

Aloha! ;-)
Aloha! ;-)
I'm surprised this thread doen't get more play. Have all of you who live in Puna already been to watch lava flow into the sea? We are coming next week and we check all the volcano news and talk about it every day. We are SO excited at the prospect of actually being able to witness it in person. It's one of the first things we'll do when we get there.
I have hesitated to post any questions about the lava viewing for fear that I'll jinx it and Madame P. will shut it down just before our arrival.

Jon