Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A potential solution
The three threats most recognized threats to our area, and Hawaii in general:

Ecological Destruction
Poverty
Rising energy costs.

Here is a potential solution. Holtzman gas.

Holtzman gas, or "blue gas" or producer gas is the byproduct of the distillation of wood. Some of you may remember in earlier posts that I've some experience in that process. Holtzman gas was used widely worldwide in the late 1800's to power homes, lights, and machinery of all types. It will power vehicles or generators. It was used widely in Europe during WWII because petroleum sources were so disrupted to power delivery trucks and other vehicles. Holtzman gas is basically a mixture of hydrogen and methane, buffered with nitrogen. Running in engines at a 1.1 to 1 ratio it produces about 70 to 80 percent the power of gasoline. About 20 lbs of wood chips, small wood blocks, sawdust, or other biomass
creates the energy equivalent of one gallon of gasoline. Even kelp has been successfully processed.

The gas is not without problems. It must be filtered of ash, and the gas producer itself can be a troublesome machine. If working improperly it is prone to clogging, it can be smoky and filthy. It is a large bulky object, about the size of a hot water heater so for usage in vehicles it is certainly cumbersome. Frequent attention must be payed to feeding the fire at the rate of consumption. It must be lit before usage like any wood stove and be attended to in much the same manner. Still, for generator use and for powering a small generator off waste wood in essence for free in a time we look squarely at 5 dollar a gallon gasoline. . .it is of obvious interest. As well, it does allow one to power machinery in a truly carbon neutral manner, as one can grow their own fuel. The waste heat can heat hot water, dry clothes, or what have you. The strawberry guava I have found to be a near ideal fuel.

So, my latest version that I plan to install has a new throat design, that I'm currently in the patent application process for, that eliminates many of the traditional problems of clogging and actually burns very cleanly. It's sitting in the front yard an looks much like a robot out of a 30's movie, committing suicide. I'll be plumbing it into the house as it will provide hot water and hydronic heat as well as electricity. The producer itself isn't difficult to build, nor expensive, and I may well market these in the near future. One could be set up completely with a gas generator and an inexpensive gasoline generator for less money than a power pole.

If anybody would like to see it run, please feel free to contact me at oarclub@hotmail.com

So, like any technology there are upsides and downsides.

First, off grid un-interruptible power is a huge plus. Wind or solar are not interruptible. As well, they are vastly more expensive. This is a 7kw unit, that I could SELL you for under 3000 dollars. Solar would be close to 20000 for the same output.

Secondly, the producer can be built to power vehicles.

Thirdly, it is possible to run the device in a carbon neutral manner.

Fourth, it provides a possibility for local income, as any dry prepared biomass fuel is worth 10 cents a pound at todays fuel prices. If you're so shiftless that you won't even pick up sticks, well, you're out of luck, I expect.

Fifth, it decentralizes energy production.

Dangers:

Carbon Monoxide is a major portion of the gas, as is methane. With stupid or sloppy operation, these are released into the air or potentially poisoning people. Methane is a dangerous greenhouse gas for certain.

The thing gets hot as hell and you can burn the be-jesus out of yourself on it.

It is certainly not a convenient as simply dumping gasoline in a tank. But, it is a lot more convenient than not having gasoline.

Use of the producer is not idiot proof, especially as one can never underestimate the profundity of idiocy. It would be possible to blow yourself to kingdom come with one of these, but again, I've seen people shop-vac gasoline. No kidding.

What do you all think?
An interesting read if anyone wants to take a look at this 1995 Report on Regulating the Petroleum Industry in Hawaii.

-------
A.R.A.S.
Acceptance Respect Affection and Support
Bob Trask
I am very interested, I have been looking for more in steam engines, but reference to wood gas keep showing up! There is one using a salvaged auto turbine unit, wild, with plenty RPM (20000), but seemed shaky! Some local input would be excellent!

One should be feasable in a stand alone electric generator, without the hassle of being portable.

Should be able to automate a set loading with simple battery charging. I'll have the option of hookup, but dread the cost per month, It would be worth a few minutes work each day to service the unit, there's plenty wood around!

Am definetly interested!
Gordon J Tilley
Wood gas is vastly more efficient, and you can run a whole host of things with it. I've got it running right now actually. This is an up and running system, hardly theoretical.

quote:
Originally posted by JWFITZ
...About 20 lbs of wood chips, small wood blocks, sawdust, or other biomass
creates the energy equivalent of one gallon of gasoline....
If you're so shiftless that you won't even pick up sticks, well, you're out of luck, I expect........

What do you all think?

Um what happens when you run out of sticks. Do you then go to your neighbors yard? And when your neighbor runs out of sticks... then what?

I don't think we should be cutting trees to create fuel.

Sounds like a lot of work... and who is going to constantly feed the furnace?

Sounds like the cost of wood would eventually start going up. It could work here and there.... but if everyone had one... what would happen to the trees?

-------
A.R.A.S.
Bob Trask
In that environment, who will be cutting the trees, and they'll be cuttting the trees with what?
I was intrigued by this idea but not smart enough to evaluate the merit on my own so I sent the post to a chemist friend of mine and here is his response -- just FYI.

Lin, what this guy is doing is distilling bio mass [wood] into a mixture of gasses similar to propane. This would be practical if you were on a deserted island and needed to produce energy to fuel a gasoline generator to run a radio to summon help. As a long-term source of fuel, I would consider $5/gallon gasoline cheap compared to this method. The operation of this device would be similar to operating a steam engine as a fire is needed to cook the wood to produce a gas that would run an engine. You would need much more equipment to liquidity this stuff to get enough to run a vehicle any distance. As for the thought of making this apparatus mobile, I would think a simple steam engine would be much more practical.

b²

Blau gas (German: Blaugas) was an artificial illuminating gas similar to propane named after its inventor, Dr. Hermann Blau of Augsburg, Germany. It was manufactured by decomposing mineral oils in retorts by heat, and compressing the resulting naphtha until it liquefied. It was transported in this condition, and on releasing the pressure assumed again the gaseous state.

Blau gas was burned for lighting and heating; a less pure form known as Pintsch gas fueled railroad car lights and stoves in the late 19th and early 20th century. Blau gas was most famous, however, as the fuel for the LZ 127 Graf Zeppelin[1] It had several advantages over liquid fuels such as gasoline. It was non-explosive, and because it weighed approximately the same as air, burning it and replacing its volume with air did not lighten the airship—eliminating the need to adjust buoyancy or ballast in-flight.[2]

too soon old, too late smart
I don't know how I got over the hill without getting to the top.
Wow Lin -

I love it when people follow up things off of punaweb.

I don't think using our trees to convert to energy is a good thing.

But I like JW's general philosophy on a lot of other things. I don't mind if it's done in a small scale such as his.

I wouldn't want it done on a large scale though.

-------
A.R.A.S.
Bob Trask
We're burning trees now, just at a much more voracious processed state in the form of any petrochemical or coal, and we're burning trees we didn't take the care to grow.

They estimate 2 million vehicles were powered by the tech during WWII.
Another WSJ column. Sounds like they hit the wall with the laws of physics or something-

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB12055204...in_hs_coll

Other people want to make friends- I just want to make money.
James Cramer