Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adapting to Puna's Climate
I believe many people move to Puna thinking that they are going to be getting the "Hawaii" weather they see on TV. (Hapuna scenes, etc)

However, many people do not realize that PUNA is much different then the "Hawaii" they see on TV and dream about moving to.

I would like to hear stories of people adjusting to the climate in Puna.

I remember when I first moved to the Island... I seriously was drenched in sweat for the first few months just because I was not acclimated to the climate.

Anyone care to expand on adapting to Puna's Climate?

-------
The more we speak up... the more they will listen.
Well my first experience was Waimea. in december. brrrrrrr being from Cali then.
We came from Chicago, so the big difference is no big differences (midwesterners will often regale about the days when the temperature swing was 50+ degrees....) We still wear layers, swimsuit & type of some shirt... just in case it turns into a beach day....
working in the yard & such does get you drenched, but days like today, it is more likely rainwater... One thing we have realized is that most of our neighbors are not out working in their yards at noon-time, they work outside in the early morning & later afternoons... sometimes you gotta, but just expect that those are your 'sauna spa' days....
If you are from a climate that has very marked seasonal swings, you know how it really does take some time to acclimate, but you do.... 50 can be almost tropical in the winter & brutal in the summer
I was born and lived 50 years in the high desert of Nevada and I absolutely love the warmth and humidity here. Whenever I step out of an air-conditioned store into the moist heat, I just grin -- people must think I'm nuts. I've been here almost four years now but it hasn't gotten old yet. I will say, though, that I have felt more miserably cold this winter than any other here and more than I can remember being back where winter temps of minus 30 weren't all that unusual. This year I dug out my few remaining winter woolies that hadn't seen the light of day since I moved. Not sure if I'm just now fully acclimated or if it really has been colder this year or, it may have something to do with living in shorts and tank tops in December/January and leaving the windows open year round, ya think?

too soon old, too late smart
I don't know how I got over the hill without getting to the top.
I was born and lived 50 years in the high desert of Nevada

....where? We just moved here from Elko.

Here's to a full belly, a heavy purse....and a light heart.
Having been born in Tacoma and lived in Brookings, Oregon for some time, I was used to the rain. Moving here was an easy transition for me, as I enjoy the rain (most of the time)... I do like the "warm rain" better than the cold "drizzle" of Tacoma or the cold "coastal storms" of Brookings.

Royall

What goes around comes around!

Hi all, this is my first post...hope it works i hve been listening to the punaweb for a while now i am hoping to move to the hilo area in a couple of years.... i am now in tacoma wa it's in the low 50's today cold and it snowed yeaterday.... anyway i am wondering how the misquitos are in puna...i used to teach school in kona in the late 80's but kona is very different from the puna area... does the rain get in the way of doing things or are the days dry enough to be outside frendly??? thanks true
The biggest change for me has been the humidity. Even with living here part-time for years, the difference in climate is so huge that once we moved here full-time, it still took some getting used to. From the intermountain west (ie, northernmost Idaho) where it's dry, dry, dry. :-P I love the warm moist air here. :-) It did get to be a bit much this winter though! Just takes some getting used to. Gotta remember, it's a jungle!

aloha, Liz

"The best things in life aren't things."
As long as the Tradewinds are blowing it's postcard perfect. Some sun, some rain, an occasional rainbow, blue skys, puffy white clouds, Pakalolo plants gently swaying in the breeze [Smile]

When a weather system disrupts the tradewind pattern, it could be a month of rain (floods), or a month of no rain (drought). The Pakalolo plants are either doing the backstroke, or turning to dust. [V]
The ever-present humidity freed me up to do something I hadn't done since the sixties: no underwear. I understand the concept of muumuus totally - it's all about air circulation and keeping cool. The muumuu and no underwear really helps with the sweating - I highly recommend it. Sometimes when I go to town I wear underwear just in case a gust of wind, like in "Some Like it Hot", comes along...