Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Puna Loses Again: Puna 0 Hilo 4

Just in case anyone wants to do their own research, (devoid of any personal or political posturing), the Hawaii Council website has a Laserfiche WebLink. You can look at everything concerning Bill 276 and all documents attached to Communications 1121 (Bill 276).

You can read all drafts of the bills, all supporting documents, all discussions, all Council actions, and you can read every comment submitted by the public. Every document is there for you’re reading pleasure.

http://records.co.hawaii.hi.us/weblink/Browse.aspx

Thanks Bob, Can you link us up to it here? [thanks so much]

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Hi, just discovering this discussion. Didn't have any idea
it was occurring and that my email was to be posted. Kinda
feel blindsighted... I wrote more details on www.hunterbishop.com...
next time, please include me a couple of pages earlier in the discussion.
I can be reached via email at tedwards@co.Hawaii.hi.us or at newswoman@mac.com.
Also, I have a question for proponents of Bill 276, given that I'm not well versed on
the bill because it was taken up while I was out on maternity leave.
How would the bill ensure that Puna got the two Council seats its population deserves.
Seems to me, even without the bill, come 2010 when the reapportionment commission is formed again, we have the population guaranteeing us two Council seats. How does Bill 276 make sure if that? Redistricting is in the hands of the reapportionment commissioners. How they draw the lines seals our fate as a district. So, it seems to me that we should be concerned less about changing the name from reapportionment commission to redistricting commission and be more concerned about who sits on the commission. May they be good and noble and have no interest in gerrymandering.
Sincerely, Tiffany Edwards Hunt, legislative assistant to Puna Councilwoman Emily Naeole[Smile]
Tiffany -

How do you justify our council lady calling her constituents "Confused"?

Welcome to the fracas.

-------
"...confuse people. People are already confused..."
Emily Naeole
quote:
Originally posted by Tiffany Edwards

How would the bill ensure that Puna got the two Council seats its population deserves.

I personally don't care about one, two, three, or even ten seats on the Council. My hackles went up because this was a bill where the people would have made the final decision. From now to November every politician, baby kisser, developer, Mayoral candidate, environmentalist, death penalty opponent, Republican, Democrat, East Sider, West Sider, resident, real estate agent, bus driver, paid political mouth piece, tour operator, blogger, widower, store owner, and even Uncle Fred’s dog could have weigh in on one side or the other - all trying to make their point and provide their take on the issue. But ultimately the people would have had their say; for or against. But that is now denied.

Regardless if it makes sense, would accomplish anything, gave or take away clout, would have been a political mess, or any other real or imaginary issue, the PEOPLE should have been allowed to make that decision.

Do our elected officials think so low of the intelligence of their constituents that they don't think we could have made an educated decision come November?

Right or wrong, it was for the PEOPLE to decide!
Tiffany -
Welcome back from maternity leave and welcome to the election season. Let me start by saying that I have always admired your responsiveness to Ms. Naeole's constituents and that you have always answered my emails quickly and to the point. Also, I should note that things seem to go better overall with you on board with the Councilwoman.

Having said that, let me point out a few things about the reapportionment brouhaha and the mood of the voters in general.

First, always assume that any response you give to a constituent is a public response. I'm pretty sure you knew Rob Tucker is the moderator of this forum, so it shouldn't be a big surprise that the response turned up here. Using the term "blindsighted" [sic] is a bit disingenuous.

Second, the Councilwoman's description of the citizens as "confused" sounds patronizing and condescending. (It might even be true for some of us, but it's still a bad choice of words.)

Third, denying the citizens the chance to vote on this sounds undemocratic and implies that we do not have the intelligence to sort it all out and make a decision. No, I don't think we need to vote on every single thing, but a substantial portion of the Council thought THIS merited a referendum.

You complain on hunterbishop.com about your boss being slammed on multiple forums, but when she paints a big target on herself, this is what you get. Every thing you guys say will be scrutinized, criticized, and publicized. That's how the game is played, so my advice is to get used to it.

By the way, I haven't made up my mind about the race for the Council seat. I'm still waiting for a candidate to impress me with a coherent, positive agenda for Puna.

Cheers,
Jerry
I guess we should look back at a little history of the Reapportionment logs to see where this idea stemmed from.

Obviously the idea has been floating around for awhile.

-------
Emily Naeole
Hi all, good evening:

First, to you, Jerry, blindsighted is the word because I really didn't have any idea there was this discussion occurring in cyberspace. I thought I was answering an email to Rob, just doing my thing while I was in the office this morning, rushing to do my thing and run outside to breastfeed. I had no idea that Bill 276 was the latest political hot button regarding my boss.

Let me emphasize that Rob can do whatever he wants with my email, I believe in openness in government, by all means. I just don't think it is fair to my boss because I was literally talking with her about Bill 276 in passing between committee meetings today.

Okay, so, Damon, regarding my boss' comment on the people being confused, this is what I think she means... Keep in mind that she has been in and out of committee meetings all day and I haven't been able to sit down with her and say, "hey, there is about three pages worth of a discussion on the fact that you voted against the proposed charter amendment to change the name and criteria for reapportionment," blah, blah...

I think she means that reapportionment is already confusing, why confuse people even more by changing the name of the reapportionment commission to the redistricting commission... I really need to take the time to research how this Bill 276 will ensure we get two more Council seats in 2010. We already will, based on our population numbers...

Jerry, I don't think Auntie meant to be patrionizing or condescending... If that is how it comes across, there is a mistake on what kind of person she is...

Yes, Rob Tucker is the moderator of this forum, and I had no idea that I would be up this late at night reading through everybody's comments and responding to them...

Kale Gumapac posted this concern for the Bill 276 vote on June 12th at 4:36 a.m., this was the morning of the public hearing in Pahoa. Rob, you were at the public hearing. I saw you talking to Public Works Director Bruce McClure. Did you also talk with Emily and share with her that this internet discussion was taking place? Did you ask her what her thoughts were about Bill 276? Emily is a very approachable woman, and is by no means patronizing or condescending.

Indeed, Jerry, it is election season. The thing is, my interest as a legislative assistant is more about public policy and an appreciation of it and less about playing politics. I have absolutely no interest in being anyone's pawn.
Good night, all. I'll check in in the morning. tceh

quote:
Originally posted by Tiffany Edwards
....I have absolutely no interest in being anyone's pawn....

Geez Tiff -

Who called you a Pawn on Punaweb?

Inner thoughts? [}Smile]

Your too tough to take out like a pawn [Big Grin]

Sheesh...anyone that can give birth to a baby and work as a legislative aide at the same time has to be tough.

-------
Emily Naeole
Me thinks Jerry's, and Bob's, and Tiff's conversation is a a good example for more bloggers to follow -- communicate, give and receive information, consider, make genuine inquiry,... That's almost civil!

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park