Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dagnabit! I think I'm in danger.
I would camp before I would stay another night there.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Maggie,I agree with Oink.
And,BTW,did you say you are paying $1100 or something (in the other
thread)? It seems way too much .
Maggie, I sent you a private email with another option available.
Take care and stay safe.

aloha, Liz

"The best things in life aren't things."
quote:
Originally posted by StillHope

Maggie,I agree with Oink.
And,BTW,did you say you are paying $1100 or something (in the other
thread)? It seems way too much .

No, it's $150 a week for the room. $1100 is the house I wanted to rent but can't because the owners haven't decided whether to rent or sell.

--maggie

http://www.maggieblanchett.com
Aloha kakou (may there be friendship or love between us, greetings)

Yes - Mz. Maggie Blanchett - I believe that you, your unborn child, your eighth grader and your husband are in DANGER!

I sincerely hope my instinct is wrong.

PunaWeb has been around for awhile and is a resource of people, knowledge and life in Hawaii and especially Puna like no other.

This forum and the diversified people that constitute it's make up - CARE.

Your initial tragedies and any future ones - are what this forum hopes to avoid or at least minimize - through sharing the hard lessons others before you learned.

Have you REALLY researched PUNA?

Have you used the SEARCH function of PUNAWEB to get a FEEL of Puna?

Your family has been here less than a week and you have TWO housing problems that you are sure are ice/drug related. How did that happen (besides what you've posted)?

My posting and others might seem harsh - but for me at least I truly am concerned if you are ready for Puna?

'O wau no me ka mahalo, (I am, [yours] respectfully)

Time will tell - I'm listening?
Time will tell - I'm speaking?
quote:
Originally posted by Menehune

My posting and others might seem harsh - but for me at least I truly am concerned if you are ready for Puna?

Very well said Menehune.

The harsher thing about this... is that there some people that actually do research what Puna is and about... and think they can do it and are prepared.... Many, eventually end up as being one more person our fragile state government has to support because they simply were not prepared.

They get here... and it just isn't what the postcards really look like.

Heck...funnier yet, I know of people who have boughten property here, and never even seen it. Now how foolish is that!

I love it when people say they are going to live in certain places in Puna...and then they talk about working or finding a job in Hilo.

Do they realize that Gas Alone to make that drive each week is over $100.00.... which then tacks on additional $400.00 a month in just driving expenses.

Too many horror stories I have heard, and I have seen a dramatic increase of what appears to be "homeless" people throughout Puna.

Sad... but true.

-------
It is the way... the way it is.
Ditto to what Carey just said...

I just emailed you through Punaweb about another possible short term option for you and your ohana.

-------
It is the way... the way it is.
Thanks you guys for the emails!

I'm going to find out more tomorrow, I think there will be a solution to our troubles soon.

By the way, I'm NOT a risk of becoming a welfare vampire just so you know. I don't believe in taking handouts from the nanny government and would starve before accepting food stamps. ;-)

--maggie

I would like to add my vote for the Dolphin Bay. They have kitchenette rooms and I hear the owners are very helpful. Seaside Motel is more like a Super-8 that is acceptable but Dolphin Bay sounds more to your needs.

Yes, ETHER is BAD. Look up Richard Pryor and his brush with ether where he almost fried himself to DEATH. Cooking meth causes big sudden fires and explosions. I HOPE they are not, but neither you nor your friend should put up with the possibility.

This is interesting to me because I felt like everyone here was down on me for being one of the "there's a dark side to Puna" voices on maggie's thread. I felt bummed for like two days at being perceived as so extremely negative when I was only trying to balance out the extreme rose colored glasses (to my mind).

That said, maggie you sound like a person who will find your way, a strong person, and I have faith you'll find the good side imminently. Punaweb is a godsend, that you can post to it and get emails with help. Stay safe!

ETA I have lived in or north of Hilo for the last three years, and in spite of this being Punaweb, Hilo is a great little town and if you should find that you fit better in Hilo than Puna, go for it. Especially if you work there, so the rent is a bit higher but you save a lot on gas.
KathyH the voice of DOOM!!! Just kidding. ;-) Don't feel bad, I realize that some folks think we're nuts because they think we've just dunked into "the whole hawaiian thing". We did do a lot of research but there are things you don't find out until you are here.

I love Hilo so far and if I could live here I definitely would. But I don't see any rentals available IN Hilo. Most people seem to be renting in Puna.

I'm not concerned about commuting to Hilo and the price of gas. DH and I both work from home, so we need an internet connection, a fedex office and we're set. Fedex is in Hilo but we only need it once a week. We didn't come here not knowing what to expect. We came here knowing that we can make a living and pay rent and support the children. But the things you don't know are the types of people you are going to run into everyday etc...I'm starting to wonder how bad the drug culture is here. I don't know if I was just unlucky to run into these two separate situations. Today at the Ross parking lot a man rode by on a moped and said to my husband, "hey man you wanna buy some weed?". The look my husband gave him showed he was barking up the wrong tree. I would not want that man near my 12 year old. I know weed is not "evil" but I'm a mother first and foremost. I don't judge people for liking weed, but my duty is to inform my children about the culture that comes with the mindset.

I'm nauseous and need sleep. Nite!

--maggie