Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dagnabit! I think I'm in danger.
With some luck the tragedy of Dana Ireland will be remembered for decades to come
and not replaced by another.

I am all for realism. Realistically I think that most rational Americans understand that
there is risk of crime in every county in every state in the country.

The biggest misconception I think people have in coming to Puna is that these large "subdivisions" are neighborhoods.
They are actually sparsely settled and many folks are basically
living out there alone without the benefit of close neighbors.
Good neighbors make a neighborhood. Empty lots do not.
Time will slowly change the formula.

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Damon, since you mentioned my post again ..
I did write a reply to your earlier question about Ainaloa, but the post didn't take, and after Punaweb didn't load a few more times I let it go.

This is not an argument I need to win. It is my personal opinion based on that out of all the stories I've been told by locals, Ainaloa comes up the most when bad stuff is mentioned. Second would be Hawaiian Beaches ... but that was awhile ago. The Ainaloa stories are more current.

I think it's just a question of where people can easily live on a low budget, and do drugs, and collect welfare. They may well not target their own neighbors, may take the theft to a neighboring SD ... but a lot of the murder stories and domestic abuse stories will have ties to Ainaloa. I know it's gentrifying now, like everywhere else, and some here call it home, but it has a bad rep to quite a few people. *shrugs*

Every subdivision has people who've lived there forever without having any problems. That doesn't mean there aren't problems.
Maggie, Sorry about your issues. However, have you ever thought that maybe the island is telling you and your ohana that you may not belong here. If I were you, I would take a long, deep look inside myself and ask yourself truthfully if Hawaii and especially Puna is for you. If you are here to turn a quick buck or just do not belong for whatever reason, the island has its ways of letting you know.

PS- your comments about mexicans in other posts is unneeded and extremely offensive (just to let you know)[Sad]

Chris
Chris
Sheesh people...

Realize that the sentiment felt towards Mexican immigrants in America is a big issue.

It's just as big an issue there as some would say that people moving to Hawaii from the Mainland is....(not...it's actually bigger)

I've often heard of the term of Konafornia [Big Grin]

Is this because we are racist of Californians?

NO... its because many people on the island don't want the island to be what California is/was.

Why are all these comments about what a new Punaweb member posted somewhere else on a completely different message board just boggles me.

Maggie and Christian... I know you guys are strong.[^]

-------
Rally For the Plan
Damon, he's not talking about another message board, but rather the vandalized Jeep thread reference to Mexifornia. (I wouldn't say that either, and I'm not sure whether it's supposed to mean California or part of California.)

Konafornia is a lifestyle commentary, as is Waikofornia ... it's different.

I'm a lifelong Californian until six years ago and have been around immigration my whole life; I can't say I have a problem with it. It's enriched the culture there in so many ways. My family immigrated there in the 1840's ... for opportunity, just like the rest. Everybody immigrated, even the Native Americans, just at different times.
I think I will bring some plastic pink flamingos for my yard and some Guatemalans to mow it. That way I can live in Punorida.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Hey Oink,

You got something against Pink Flamingos? [Wink]

The Kona Forum
http://www.konaforum.com

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former". --Albert Einstein
quote:
maybe the island is telling you and your ohana that you may not belong here. If I were you, I would take a long, deep look inside myself and ask yourself truthfully if Hawaii and especially Puna is for you. If you are here to turn a quick buck or just do not belong for whatever reason, the island has its ways of letting you know

Chris- Maybe ths support she has found on Punaweb is the Island saying "don't worry- you have help in this time of trouble; stay, there are good peiople here..."
chrislo09, What do you mean by "If you are here to turn a quick buck ...."?

Puna: Our roosters crow first
quote:
Originally posted by KathyH

Damon, he's not talking about another message board, but rather the vandalized Jeep thread reference to Mexifornia. (I wouldn't say that either, and I'm not sure whether it's supposed to mean California or part of California.)

Konafornia is a lifestyle commentary, as is Waikofornia ... it's different.

I'm a lifelong Californian until six years ago and have been around immigration my whole life; I can't say I have a problem with it. It's enriched the culture there in so many ways. My family immigrated there in the 1840's ... for opportunity, just like the rest. Everybody immigrated, even the Native Americans, just at different times.

You are right,Kathy.There is a difference between naming a lifestyle and pure racism.
http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?to...6#msg57456
"People's Republic of Mexifornia"-nice!
Somehow it's OK here to make racist remarks on Mexicans,but try
say the same about Hawaiians!