Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Water Storage Tanks
Here is a site for a flow thru valve to flush leaf debris before water enters catchment.

Something we will be doing with our water system. Perhaps others may be interested.

http://www.flotrue.com/page/page/485471.htm

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
A couple URL's to look over. Maybe these will help you with learning about rainwater collection, storage, filtration. The second is a Yahoo group that discusses this.
Aloha,
Lucy

http://www.rainfilters.com/index.html
a place here in Austin, Texas that sells
rainwater collection/purification systems.

To learn more about the rainwater harvesting group, please visit
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rainwaterharvesting

Having another Great day in Paradise, Wherever that Maybe!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheLanai
Lucy

Having another Great day in Paradise, Wherever that Maybe!
echoing what others have said, it dosn't seem to be a big problem since so many people in the world( must be millions) drink catchment water.
When we were In Kehena Beaches we drank the water. Seemed a bit bland to me but, then , I am used to water with a very high mineral content, our local water. I was abit leery of the county water but only because I didn't know where it came from and I was aware that sanitary systems in Hawaii are behind the times. Sorry, but it's true. Cesspools have been outlawed for years because they contaminate groundwater.
When we build we will happily have catchment. I've read the books and my rules will be.

Don't have trees and stuff overhanging the house.
Try to keep animals off the roof
keep vegetation away from the tank
have a secure cover so that critters can't get into tank.

Just basic sanitary techniques

For those interested in further steps, the survivalist, back to the land sites had oxygen pills and other water treatment strategies if you are really stuck.

BTW, in Kehena we saw a property with small trees and rubbish growing in the hollow of the cover of their tank. Smile

This is a great thread about water! Just wanted to bring it forward.

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
I've been monitoring the rainwater harvesting list on YahooGroups for a couple of months and it's not a very active list. The discussions are generally not that applicable to the Puna Dist.

Les
I've been scouring these old threads looking for estimated costs for water catchment, I've found lots of great information on catchment, but very little on actual cost. My question: How much does the typical 10,000 gallon, corrugated steel catchment tanks run, with liner and cover? Also, anyone know the estimate of a standard water pump w/ pressure tank? Mahalo~
YurtGirl
Melissa Fletcher
I spent about $4500. for a 10K tank, food grade liner, cover and support frame, over flow gizmo, two filters ( sediment and charcoal) UV sanitizer lamp, and Grundfos pump w/o a pressure tank. I set it all up myself so that was just the cost of materials. Purchased April 2006.

Royall

What goes around comes around!

Grocery store pre bottled water costs as much or more than gasoline.
Gordon J Tilley
quote:
Originally posted by Royall

I spent about $4500. for a 10K tank, food grade liner, cover and support frame, over flow gizmo, two filters ( sediment and charcoal) UV sanitizer lamp, and Grundfos pump w/o a pressure tank. I set it all up myself so that was just the cost of materials. Purchased April 2006.

Royall

So then, would you say $1700 for a 10k gallon tank, (galvanized metal) that was used for 8 months that comes with a liner, cover, pump and pressure tank is a good bargain?
YG
Melissa Fletcher
That sound like a fair price.... I don't know if you'll be able to reuse the liner though. From what I've heard (and saw first hand with mine) the liner will have a certain amount of creases or folds when laid in the tank. As hard as you may try it is almost impossible to get all the wrinkles out and with the several tons of water pushing against those creases will cause them to crack when moved or in the very least make for a weak spot in the liner. I think a liner is cost like $3oo-400 buck. That is just a guess on my part. I just wouldn't trust a used liner. 10K gal. of water can cause a lot of damage if it let go.

Royall