Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keep an eye out
I did research a device called a Loc8torâ„¢ which would turn on an alarm if it was moved too far from it's base. Intended for children and pets. Not sure if it would be useful if you weren't home. But tracking devices and GPS systems are so sophisticated now and relatively cheap that a serious sting program should be instituted by the police.

Where there's a will there's a way. Catch the crooks.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
That reeks.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
Rizi, I am so sorry that your move to your new home has involved such trauma. Our best wishes that your life on the big island will be better than this introduction was. I am a regular reader of Craigslist and will keep an eye out for your stuff.

Our home is in Hawaiian Shores also (we are neighbors!) and we have owned it for almost eight years now. The first day we moved into our home we had a bed delivered before we got there and someone smashed the front door and stole the bed within about three hours. We had an insurance claim in the first three hours!

The thieves seem to be especially on the lookout for deliveries or moving activity. If it is any consulation, since that time we have not had any trouble, of course we have an alarm, large alarm signs and two BIG DOGS that look and sound mean. I'm not much of a dog person myself my husband is the dog lover), but they are good alarm, theft deterants. I do have to say that I feel much safer with the dogs. I know people make fun of everyone in Puna having a dog, but this is one reason why.

Also, my husband works for Alert Alarm (Kona side) and I know if you were wanting to just talk to someone about security issues, he would be glad to give you some ideas. He has taught security seminars on the mainland and has been in the security business for over 28 years.
EightFingers; I'm confused, do you disapprove of trying to catch these idiots, or were you expressing concern over Rizi's being ripped off?

dick wilson
dick wilson
"Nothing is idiot proof,because idiots are so ingenious!"
Rizi... this is a travesty. I am so sorry for you. But I do think if you posted some pics of your stuff it might help find it. It sounds like your dining table is at least distinctive.

Honey... i send you a great big hug and I hope you have insurance. This is a wake up call for all of us. Living on an island, even with good neighbors does not mean we are safe. We are installing a cell backed security system thanks to you.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

Devany Vickery-Davidson
East Bay Potters
www.eastbaypotters.com
Geeeeeeeze! I'm so sorry that this happened to you.
Who would want someone else's bed?
FYI; I was ripped off. I have a dog, but give her a steak...
What they didn't know is that I subscribed to lojack. I have a new Gateway laptop that came with a trial. I never buy anything extra but I have a sign outside that says I have CCTV; I don't. I keep the lid open and put it right in front of the front door. I knew it would be the first thing someone would take. 7 hours after I got home and discovered it was gone I got it's location; it was my neighbor.

http://www.lojackforlaptops.com/
quote:
Originally posted by mprov
7 hours after I got home and discovered it was gone I got it's location; it was my neighbor.

http://www.lojackforlaptops.com/

Sounds like a great piece of software! I think I'll get it installed on mine. It works on desktops as well. What happened to your neighbor?
As an ex-juv-justice councilor in Idaho I know a bit about making sites bad targets for rip off. It's not what you might think.

Lights: Not really. You want a light, but not lights. You want the property to be dark enough that you can't function without light. This forces thieves to use portable lights, which are easily visible and anyone will be suspicious of flashlights running around a house at night.

Gates: Yes, but no. You want a gate that isn't so much hard to get into as hard to get out of. What thieves fear most is getting caught in a site by an irate homeowner or a cop. You need two gates, one for the property and one for the house inside to be secure. That at least what we FitzGeralds have always built.

Dogs: Yes, but no. It's far too easy to bribe off or shoot a dog. Or poison it and come by when the owners are away. You might want a dog, but you might want your neighbors not to know anything about it. Barky dogs aren't worth a damn, as they bark all the time anyhow and that's no alarm. You want a big bruin, preferably male rott, that sits on the porch and pants, and says nothing. The poor bugger that jumps the second gate will be eaten, and what you do with the pieces, I guess, is up to you. I expect I might not ever know, as the chickens would do a pretty good job of the rest of the debris. Where did these shoes come from? I might think.

As for the last, there are tricks out there if you really have a problem that will indeed fix the problem, but you're not going to get that advice from me.

Steel double keyed deadbolt doors are important. Small windows unless it's lexan.

Not having anything worth stealing is the ultimate line of defense.

Trust in the fact that ultimately thieves are forced to steal from each other and ultimately there is no quarter for someone like that.

2 years, maximum. It is going to be a problem, but short lived.
It is so sad but true, JWFitz, and the way I've had to live since moving to Nanawale. That is, I don't have anything worth stealing. Everything's secondhand, and not much of it. I'm wondering whether to get an on-demand water heater, yet even that is a risk. Has anyone had appliances like that stolen? It gets pretty shabby around here at times, but until the theft problem improves, if ever, I've taken this course.
I've stayed away from this post.

Rizi... I feel sorry for you.

I know people who have had everything ripped off... Including the kitchen sink... And that is not a Pun!

I've heard of houses stripped as they've been built Bath Tubs, Cabinets, you name it.

I've heard you only want to build on your property...is if you plan on living there while it's built.

Sorry Rizi you had to experience it first hand.

-------
My Blog