Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello Mr. Wolf, won't you please sit down?

Fascinating. With reference to the aspect of this thread discussion regarding fuels and biofuel production in a Hawaiian setting:

A tree fungus could provide green fuel that can be pumped directly into tanks, scientists say. The organism, found in the Patagonian rainforest, naturally produces a mixture of chemicals that is remarkably similar to diesel.

...from "Tree fungus could provide green transport fuel' by Alok Jha, green technology correspondent, in guardian.co.uk, Tuesday November 4 2008 00.01 GMT. Link to full article:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/20...els-energy

Of course, such biodiesel would probably only be green in the sense it does not deplete petrochemical resources; greenhouse gases would still be produced in the combustion. Still, it is a whole lot easier to drive a biodiesel fueled truck up a mountain than a steam engine burning wood. Maybe clever use of biotechnology such as this fungus could shift quasi-pest "trash trees" into being more valuable as sources of cellulose stocks for the conversion reactions?

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."

Pres. John Adams, Scholar and Statesman

"There's a scientific reason to be concerned and there's a scientific reason to push for action. But there's no scientific reason to despair."

NASA climate analyst Gavin Schmidt

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

Astonishing skill! This archer is a real-life Legolas and then some!
http://geekologie.com/2013/11/real-life-...rs-anc.php

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(
The first thing we need to understand is that there is nothing greener than Co2. Carbon is the bases for all organic things on this Earth and it in absolutely no way contributes to global warming.

Now an uneducated moron like, say, Al Gore would try to tell you that the increase in atmospheric Co2 levels drives global warming. Nothing could be further from the truth.
In fact, water vapor is a 1000 times more active as a greenhouse gas than Co2, and you don’t hear Al Gore bitchin’ about there being too much water.

Our Solar system’s Sun drives the temperature fluctuations that we see. This happens in cycles. Imagine that the Sun pulses in 11000 year, 7 year and even 100,000 year cycles.

Also try to imagine that the Earths proximity to the Sun wobbles around in all this. In fact we ( in the northern hemisphere) are closest to the Sun in the winter but this changes about every 4700 years. This time 4000 years from now we will be closer to the sun in the summer

When we have warming trends the levels of Co2 increase years later. That’s right, I said temperature causes Co2 levels to raise, not Co2 causes temperature to rise.

I know this sounds like heresy if you have drank the Global warming Kool-Aid, but it is not only true but you can easily see for yourself if you look at the charts that even the GW alarmist publish.

When the Earth naturally warms because of the Solar cycles, the land and atmosphere warms up first, the oceans lag by many years due to their thermal mass and convective currents. But when ocean temperatures do rise, they start to off-gas Co2 by the giga-ton.
And although other gases are released, they are not as abundant, as they were not as readily absorbed in the first place. Co2 is unique because of it’s ability to dissolve much more rapidly in water. The other constituent gases in our atmosphere are also in play but not anything in the way Co2 is. I wish more people would understand this. Google :”Henry’s Law”

Now you know why even Al Gore’s chart shows that Co2 levels rise with an approximate 10 year lag after temperature rises and they fall with the same lag after temps decrease.

So burn anything you can get your hands on, it will keep you warm and fed and you garden will love you for it.

In a dualistic world there must be contrarians. Thank you, esnap, for being the resident contrarian.

Although my understanding of the situation is, in part, based upon investigations into CO2 levels contained in ancient ice cores--who knows for *absolute* certain? And what does it matter in the long run? Two things: we are running out of oil which poses a huge problem since the wealth of our nation and our future economic growth, lifestyle, et al are based upon black gold--a substance which contains incredible energy reserves plus a phenomenal amount of the products we use are made from it to boot, and, no matter what the cause, a heated up earth will very likely mean the demise of most of the human and other life on earth.

There's an interesting website, www.dieoff.org It has a massive amount of links to literature about peak oil, climate change, carrying capacity of the earth and rising population. It's better than a horror movie.

april
april
esnap - Excellent post...

aprild - funny, we were running out of oil in the 70's also... right along with the global cooling hoax of the time. Read up on global cooing in the 70's.

All this talk about global warming and how bad it would be... but if the world warmed up a little, there would be more arid land available for farming than there is now. But where would the money be for the nuts and kooks if global warming might actually help mankind.

Transplanted Texan
"I am here to chew bubble gum and kick some *** ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"
-----------------------------------------------------------
I do not believe that America is better than everybody else...
America "IS" everybody else.
The Wilder Side Of Hawaii
The whole "global cooling" crap is tied basically to a single popular science article in the early 70's. If you've actually read that, I'd suggest reading further. It will matter for you.

While it is true that water vapor is the single most common greenhouse gas, it seems to get lost on people that the warmer the whole earth system is, the more water vapor you get in the system. Once you understand this, you understand global warming. If you don't understand that, you don't understand it a bit. This is why a little bit of CO2 makes a lot of warming, and why methane does even more--because of the water vapor it engenders even in a decay state.

There exists a great deal of info from the '50's even, warning of global warming. Informational movies, even, and if anyone paid any time to looking into it, they'll find them.

Unfortunately, at this point, we're over the hump and screwed. Actually, if you have paid any attention to the ocean surface temperatures, even Hawaii has just lost its shield. Woe to the Kona folks, they have no idea what is coming.

...if you have paid any attention to the ocean surface temperatures, even Hawaii has just lost its shield. Woe to the Kona folks, they have no idea what is coming....

So then, since I have not been paying attention and would not know what to make of such data even I had been paying attention... what is coming, how much of it, and by when (or in what-sized increments) as predicted by the change in ocean surface temperatures? I know next to nothing about oceanography and/or sailing lore connected to surface temperatures so really am earnestly wondering what portents and omens you see in those surface temperature change data.

(Edits to improve readability in green)

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."

Pres. John Adams, Scholar and Statesman

"There's a scientific reason to be concerned and there's a scientific reason to push for action. But there's no scientific reason to despair."

NASA climate analyst Gavin Schmidt

Astonishing skill! This archer is a real-life Legolas and then some!
http://geekologie.com/2013/11/real-life-...rs-anc.php

quote:
Originally posted by Jon

...more arid land available for farming than there is now... kooks .

It takes a "kook" to think that "arid" land is good for farming.

auwe!!!!!

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park
I think he meant Arable.
Well, I guess I am a kook in your eyes. fortunately for you I can't use my power to prove my point.
Us kooks think that large/huge parts of Canada, Russia and China would benefit from s little bit of worming.

Unfortunates this kook does not get to mooch off others trying to spread the Gospel.

some of the kooks on the other side keep fudging their numbers.... on my dime.
Last month was the hottest October on record.... "NOT". they don't even watch the weather channel, other wise they would have known of all the record lows last month.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main....do1610.xml

Transplanted Texan
"I am here to chew bubble gum and kick some *** ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"
-----------------------------------------------------------
I do not believe that America is better than everybody else...
America "IS" everybody else.
The Wilder Side Of Hawaii
Weatherford, most of Calif. is arid land, but it is our national salad bar with water. Most profs have their hands in someone elses pockets in their endevours, they make suggestions how to farm, small, diverse and food crops, but that is below them as they incorporate, hustle state help, cover their own buts with corps, so they don't even get hurt if it flops. Always pushing the university lines that gets the grants.
Gordon J Tilley