Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawaiian Electric rates highest in nation
The thing about rebates is this.
Don't you think that the companies that sell and install PV and solar water systems know you are going to get a rebate?
Because they are very familiar with these absolute BS rebates they make sure they are the ones that get that money.

They use this data as part of their closing tools when they sell you.
They are preying on people's ignorance and lack off ability.

One can build a solar water heater out of a new or used electric water heater and a hundred bucks or two.

Would you rather get a rebate and be out off pocket 1000s of dollars or would you rather learn something fun spend a few hundred, recycle some junk and get 100% payback with in just a few months?

PV panels and batteries are sold on the open market and can be set up DIY if you'll educate yourself just a little.

Don't even think of trying to sell electricity to Helco. That whole idea is somewhere between a joke and a scam.

Just curtail your usage, make enough for yourself and you are a winner.

I'm not looking forward to my electric bill once I make the move to Puna. For comparison, I live in Portland, Oregon use 575 kwh, my bill is $59.24
Computer, hot water recirc pump on 24 hours. 700 watt home theater, big tv, hot tub set about 95 degrees. House is 2,200 sf but I heat mostly with wood pellets (elect powered pellet stoves)
quote:
Originally posted by gtill

Kani Lehua, if you're moving to Volcano side, what plans do you have for heat and clothesdrying?

we've decided not to build on our lot up at mauna loa estates and have purchased a home in fern forest.

for heat? we don't know yet.

for clothesdrying? the appliances are gas. we have to leave our electric washer and dryer at home.

esnap: we've taken some of the measures you have suggested. thank you.

"chaos reigns within.
reflect, repent and reboot.
order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry
"a great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

w. james

Hawaiian Electric lowers rates again. It amounts to a $14.00 a month on average. Here is the breakdown per island:

"On O'ahu, the effective residential rate will decline to 24.9 cents per kilowatt-hour from 28.9 cents in November.

The typical Maui household using 600 kilowatt-hours should see their December bill drop to $191.78, or $26.80 less than November. The effective rate is falling to 30.6 cents per kilowatt-hour.

Big Island residential customers will see a decline in rates to 38.5 cents. The typical 600 kilowatt-hour bill will drop to $241.88 from $255.72 last month.

Kaua'i residential customers will be charged an effective rate of 27.5 cents per kilowatt-hour. That's almost 10 cents less than in November. Kaua'i's residential rate has fallen 44 percent since reaching a high of 49.2 cents in August."

Why are we the most expensive island with regard to electic?

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/articl...50373/1001
Macuu222

I don't know, but maybe in is population and or population density.
Kauai is a co-op, it's nonprofit. Between the other 3, they do what they want, just like Matson and YB. It's good to be king!
Gordon J Tilley
Electric cars statewide seems like a great idea to ease air pollution and lessen our dependency on oil, but since 70% of our power comes from diesel generation via HELCO I guess HELCO wins again. For the record I am in favor of electric vehicles for commuting, but it seems that there is a more urgent issue and that's getting us off of fossil fuel for power generation in Hawaii.

See you in the surf
See you in the surf
You can only do what you can do. HELCO is more efficient at turning fossil fuel into useful power than the average gas powered private vehicle is, so even though you would be trading one form of fossil fuel consumption in for another, you would still come out ahead. I know it is popular to hate HELCO but you shouldn't let it blind you. Efficiency wise, electric cars charged by HELCO would probably be better than the standard gas engined car. Monopoly-wise, there would be a price to pay. Best would be to charge your car from renewable energy sources. That would be difficult though when your solar panels are at home while your car is at work.
I find it hard to believe that using diesel to generate electricity, then transmit that electricity miles, then store it in batteries then release the energy to move a car is more efficient than using the same diesel moving the car.

to many power conversions that cause the loss of energy.

The hybrid is more realistic.

Check out VW, they have a prototype that get almost 300 MPG, that beats all the competition, hands down on efficiency amd is not even a hybred.

I see the problem like the Plastic Bag issues in the making. In my younger days I lived they the "paper bags are depleting the forests" days, a lie, but it got people to switch to plastic bags... I see the same thing coming with electric cars. 10-20 years from now (with luck sooner) the fad will be over and reality will set in.

Transplanted Texan
"I am here to chew bubble gum and kick some *** ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"
-----------------------------------------------------------
I do not believe that America is better than everybody else...
America "IS" everybody else.
The Wilder Side Of Hawaii
Jon,
You wrote:
"the fad will be over and reality will set in."

Actually, I think you will agree that when the facts are finally revealed to these people, reality doesn't "set in". rather it is simply ignored while they move on to their next pseudo-crisis.

Case in point: Even though it has been shown that DDT does not harm birds or their eggs and is actually edible by mammals, DDT is still banned and this fact has been the direct cause of millions of malaria deaths in the 3rd world.

But hey, if buying carbon credits makes them feel good.......