Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Money Saving Tips (add yours)
Seems like there would be a local source for coconut oil. If not, it might be a good business! They guy at the Puna Market sells it for $10 a pint, which is a lot if you are using it for "everything". But it is local. I used it as a "lotion" and also for cooking.

quote:
Originally posted by esnap

No, I buy mine in 5 gallon buckets from Shay and Co out of Portland Oregon.
I smear it on everything,
http://www.shayandcompany.com/coconut-oil/
the price has double since last year, I used to get it for 40 +shipping

We cook with it also.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

Devany Vickery-Davidson
East Bay Potters
www.eastbaypotters.com
if you really need it buy it online....

Transplanted Texan
"I am here to chew bubble gum and kick some *** ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"
-----------------------------------------------------------
I do not believe that America is better than everybody else...
America "IS" everybody else.
The Wilder Side Of Hawaii
I put up a small 10x20 greenhouse clear tarp and set a bench under it. I grow gourmet lettuce, spinach, cherry tomatoes, japanese cucumbers, various peppers and beans. I put them in containers and recycle the media (mixed with kitchen compost and screened to 1/2 inch minus). Very good results for about a year now. The bench and containers minimize snail and other pest worries, but also increase the need for watering. I put three lettuce keikis in a 3 gallon pot, and larger plants in 5-10 gallon pots. This small 5-20 ft bench provides plenty good stuffs for our family.

Greg, I've been thinking about doing something similar. The pest problem is a big one. Even the cardinals come and pluck away our beans and cucumbers. My other problem is getting maximum sun exposure, as my house casts shadows a good part of the day over areas in my yard most convenient for a garden. Building a mini-greenhouse like yours on casters would be ideal for my situation.
Tim
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
Shipping,
I ship products all over the US including Alaska
and Hawaii. I use the usps priority flat rate envelopes and boxes.
They'll ship up to 70 pounds.(as long as it fits)
Envelopes and boxes are free at the post office or they will actually mail them to you for FREE! this is for priority 2-3 day service
12"x12"x5.5" up to 70# any where in us or to apo and fpo about 8.50
12"x9.5" envelope up to 70# any where in us or to apo and fpo about 4.80

If you get an account & purchase you label online you get a small discount.
I have done a lot of container gardening in the Hot California Sun. You can buy these crystals that absorb water, become gel like and then slowly release it into the soil. It is great in a hot dry climate. A little bit goes a long way. They are sold under many names. They are the same things that are in those neck bands you get wet and wear around your neck to keep you cool. Maybe these would help keep your watering down Greg. [8D]

quote:
Originally posted by Greg

I put up a small 10x20 greenhouse clear tarp and set a bench under it. I grow gourmet lettuce, spinach, cherry tomatoes, japanese cucumbers, various peppers and beans. I put them in containers and recycle the media (mixed with kitchen compost and screened to 1/2 inch minus). Very good results for about a year now. The bench and containers minimize snail and other pest worries, but also increase the need for watering. I put three lettuce keikis in a 3 gallon pot, and larger plants in 5-10 gallon pots. This small 5-20 ft bench provides plenty good stuffs for our family.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

Devany Vickery-Davidson
East Bay Potters
www.eastbaypotters.com
I occassionally indulge my shopping gene by using craigslist instead of Rosses/Walmart/Macy's/HD/HPM as much as possible. I also like garage sale shopping especially for paperbacks for my parents. twenty five cents versus $7.50!

Very good deals either way and usually cant use CC - cash in hand is necessary.

I also "shop" freecycle!

I make my own WD-40
I mix 1 qt of Mobil-1 w/ 1 gallon of Varsol (mineral spirits-paint thinner)

The Mobil-1 has superior anti rust and detergent properties.
For cable tv we get the very Basic which is only 9.50 a month. They don't advertise it you have to ask. It includes local channels and a few others. Plenty of channels for us and it beats the $40 price tag.
Devany, I've heard that same moisture absorbing substance is what's in disposable diapers (would a small unused diaper in the bottom of a pot work?) Seriously, I solved the watering problem by increasing the size of the containers. The larger the container, the longer it remains moist.