Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Money Saving Tips (add yours)
Greg,
Why use new? Maybe used diapers would even be better LOL Smile
We dropped cable and rarely go to the movies.
If you have a high-speed connection you can stream almost any movie from the net. www.ovguide.com has documentaries and movies.

You can stream live foxnews and msnbc at www.blinkotv.com if you install their player, you get a nice little viewer and you can maximize it on your screen.

Another great deal is www.vonage.com for you phone. 25 bux per month gets you free longlistance to anywhere in The US, Canada and much of Europe. You can have it simultaneously ring your cell phone.

If you have T-Mobile cell service they offer unlimited nationwide VOIP home phone service for $10 a month. You need a reliable broadband connection like DSL or Cable; satellite and others don't work. This is just like Vonage except it's cheaper and you CAN get a local number. The catch is you must sign up for or have existing T-Mobile service. Check out their Hilo store next to Hilo Bay Cafe for all the nitty gritty details.

I've eliminated paper towels. It has been a tough habit to break but we're getting used to it. We also reuse containers instead of buying Tupperware. For example we'll reuse salsa jars to store homemade sauces in the icebox, and we use large yogurt and cookie dough containers as compost scrap collecters or leftover storage. This takes me back to when as a kid my mom had like 10,000 margerine containers stored in the cupboard.

Buy in bulk from Hilo Costco... Oh wait, we don't have one Sad I guess I'll have to settle for red-headed stepchild Cost-U-Less or making stops at Costco when I am in Kona anyways (making a special trip there negates the savings due to the gas)
OK, I'm not sure I'm proud of this, but I haven't been busted yet. I've bought the inexpensive Kirkland shampoo and conditioner from Costco, and poured it into the expensive containers of haircare products my teenage daughter insists on. Thin ice, baby. [Wink]
My son is 14, and I think he may have gotten 3 hair cuts from a barber in his life.

I bought a set of clippers at Wal-mart for 14 bux and have saved hundreds cutting his hair.

Greg,
Regardless of how ethical that may or may not be, it is effing hilarious! My wife is a hairdresser so she probably wouldn't find the humor in it like I would. Even if the salon products are far better for your hair, there's no debating the price discrepancy. I'm just counting down the years until my hairline "heads for the hills" and I don't have to worry about it anymore.
Greg,

I really don't think a diaper would work, as it is strictly ABSORBANT where as this product first absorbs and then releases. And you also have the plastic and other crap in diapers. Really, this stuff is not that expensive. I have a jar that has lasted me 4 years and I have about 50 large pots & 12 Large Hanging baskets with sphagnum moss. I also use it in my raised beds.

I have two partially filled jars right now, Soil Moist Granules $12.99 for a 1 # jar and Zeba Quench $13.99 for a 1 # jar. I don't like the Quench product as well, it is made of something that gets really mushy, but looks more organic. It is said to be "a second generation superabsorbent polymer. I still like the Soil Mosit best.

quote:
Originally posted by Greg

Devany, I've heard that same moisture absorbing substance is what's in disposable diapers (would a small unused diaper in the bottom of a pot work?) Seriously, I solved the watering problem by increasing the size of the containers. The larger the container, the longer it remains moist.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

Devany Vickery-Davidson
East Bay Potters
www.eastbaypotters.com
Try making your own toothpaste, it`s easy, cheap and very effective.
All you need is 3 parts baking soda, 1 part sea salt and a little essential oil for flavor (opt.). Put a couple tablespoons of the salt into a coffee/spice grinder and zap it a few times to make it fine, add six tablespoons of the soda and about a dozen drops of your oil,if useing,(I use peppermint)and zap it a little more to mix. Keep your toothbrush in a small glass of hydrogen peroxide, go right from there into the powder and then brush. This stuff cleans and whitens.
You can also make your own soaps, it`s really quite easy. Use coconut, palm, and olive oil. It`s great for your hair and works well in a shaving mug.
quote:
Originally posted by Greg

OK, I'm not sure I'm proud of this, but I haven't been busted yet. I've bought the inexpensive Kirkland shampoo and conditioner from Costco, and poured it into the expensive containers of haircare products my teenage daughter insists on. Thin ice, baby. [Wink]

That's blackmail material Wink Does she read blogs[Big Grin]

Money Saving Tip:

Read your news online instead of buying the paper and save a tree while your at it.

-------
My Blog
Get rid of your landline telephone if you also have a cellphone. Cellphone is more mobile and just works great for us. Get rid of your clothes dryer and start hanging clothes to dry.. Save at least $100.00 a month!