Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dog Tags
Does anyone know where to get dog tags made?

Jade
If you are asking about dog license tags, I think they are only available through the County. There is a nominal fee that gets a tag good for two years along with registration that is helpful in contacting the owner if a lost dog is found with tag intact. (Microchipping is better in this regard, but not required.) There being no rabies in Hawaii, no vaccination is required. The last time I did it, they issued these at the car tax office in the Aupuni street County complex.

Cheers,
Jerry
Jerry -

Mahalo... I learned something new today about that rabies fact. I was looking up Rabies cases in Hawaii and found this site for people wanting information on Pets in Hawaii... Pets in Hawaii.

Another option for Jade would be to simply make her own dog tag.

*edit* because I noticed some twice twice.

-------
My Blog
The Humane Society in Kea'au will sell you a numbered tag, which would connect you to your dog if the Humane Society came in possession ...

For a personalized tag, there are many sites that you can find on the net that do all sorts of cool engraved tags for under $10 and will ship them. Stacey's Pets in Hilo (by Ben Franklin's) also has a form to order tags. They take about two weeks. The internet ones I got in three days.

I highly recommend registering your pet with the Humane Society. They are NOT proactive about finding a pet owner, in general. However, by buying their tag, you also buy their agreement to contact you if they get your animal.

After my pets lost the tags repeatedly, I had them microchipped. For cats (as a side comment), it's essential to get them chipped or they will almost surely be euthanized if they are ever brought in there, quite possibly within the same day. All animals are scanned for chips before being euthanized.
The new - Petco - in Kona has a machine that engraves metal dog/cat tag with name, address & telephone number - different sizes and prices. Get tokens from cashier.
After getting your pet microchipped, it's also important to keep your information with the Humane Society updated. The shelter's staff cannot notify owners of a found pet if the address or telephone number on file is no longer valid.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there is a legal requirement to license dogs with the County and tag them. Like a lot of things around here, it may not be enforced, though.

Cheers,
Jerry
You all know my feeling about them effing dogs.

I have no idea... but my guess would be that only about 40% of the dogs on this island are licensed.

I'm not sure about the laws though.

-------
My Blog
Thanks to all.

I was talking about the ID tag with the pets name and phone number. I wound up getting it done at Sears.
I knew Petco sold them but I wasn't sure if there was anyplace in Hilo.
The humane society said just order it online. They used to have brochures but they don't have them anymore.
I wanted something right away because they are cute puppies. I just got them microchiped and licensed but I wanted the name and number on it in case they get loose. Then someone can just call me instead of taking them to the Humane society.
So incase anyone has the same question. Sears does ingraving.

Jade
I've used a magic marker to write their phone number on their collar before. Also embroidery for the same thing. It is hard for most folks to read a microchip.

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales."
Kurt Wilson

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson