Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seattle's Best opens in Borders
Seattle's Best coffee opened yesterday in Borders Books replacing Starbucks. For the most part...it looks and feels just like the Starbucks that use to be there and the prices are about the same. A couple of items that starbucks had were not on the Seattle's Best menu...like Cafe Misto and Frappacino's..but then they added somethings that I never heard of before that might be worth trying.

Their brewed Seattle's Best coffee was "excellent" and far superior to Starbucks brewed coffee. Also you can use your borders rewards card to get points for every coffee purchase.

They are also giving away coupons with any coffee purchase that will give you either a free pastrie or a buy one get one free coffee on your next purchase.
Another sad turn of events for our local businesses. Yet another invasion of a mainland "big business" that will be sure to overshadow some locals. Shame on Borders, who is fortunate to do business in our state, for not opting for a more localized partnership selling possibly world renowned Big Island coffee. Shame on us for allowing it!
I doubt there is any local business entity that stepped up, and if it did it would need to have its act together to run a high volume coffee bar.

The fact is that 100% Big Island coffee costs over $20 a pound and the drinks would need to cost $7. Plus it is a waste of coffee as delicate as we grow here to expresso roast it. It would be nice if they served some Big Island grown coffee as an option, for sure. Sharky's for example (which is $13 a pound).

I can't remember the last time I ordered regular "coffee" at any of these places, because I can make that at home. Most people order the specialty drinks. Coffee is nice as a cheap way to hang out, but it's not what people go there for. I've stood in line enough times to hear and see what people are ordering.

Also there is plenty of demand for decaf and half caff in the afternoon and evening hours. If anyone knows an island coffee farm that produces a water processed decaf I would love to know. Haven't found one. (Sharky's doesn't)
Well Cathy, let me tell you first that my family is greatly involved in the local coffee scene. We grow, roast and sell big island coffee. Some we roast ourselves but usually go through Hilo Coffee Mill. Pahoa Naturals and the old Pahoa Internet Cafe have featured local grown coffee on many occasions at the same price as their others.
Also, I was not suggesting a business that sold exclusively Big Island coffee, my point was more to have a localized business selling it. You say that nobody local stepped up, but I doubt if that was even an option knowing how corporations run. The decision to go partner with Seattle's Best was no doubt made at some corporate headquarters on the mainland.
I have seen to many local businesses shut down while mainland based business still thrive. I wish more people could start to see the bigger picture here. If you want Seattle's Best, go to Seattle!
If you want the best Hawaii has to offer than we must accentuate to the world that Hawaii has more to offer than just its nice climate and luaus. But how will anyone know this including kamaaina , if when we look around its beginning to look like "anywhere USA" . I won't even start with the economic impacts!
I hear you, and I would have been happy to see a local business take over.

But I'm not sure who you're mad at. A corporation that deals best with other large corporations? Not a big surprise.

It's easy to put the moral burden and blame on the corporations and the consumers, but business is business, and sometimes the burden is on the businessman to either create a popular retail outlet or in this case to aggressively sell itself to a corporate host.

When I lived in Berkeley I patronized locally owned coffee shops, and there were plenty of them. There were also several fine locally owned book stores, new and used, that I frequented. Which is why I have so many books ...

But here, where is the local bookstore or the coffee shops that are fun to hang in?
And as this is a Hilo business we're talking about replacing, the options in Pahoa aren't really competitors.

Let the local businessmen who grow coffee put together a competing business to Borders instead of complaining because people go to a chain store. There isn't a decent all around book, movie, and music store with coffee shop in Hilo other than Borders. Basically Books is a specialty shop. Kopekope hasn't got the reading material, and the parking sucks.

Give me a local alternative that provides what I want and I'll patronize it.
(Don't forget the coupons that allow me to buy everything I want at 30% off list price.)
I also grow, roast and sell a local brand of puna coffee. To tell you the truth...there are so many local coffee growers and sellers on this island...that I kind of like the idea of a few mainland coffee franchises offering something different.
quote:
Originally posted by rasman

...my point was more to have a localized business selling it...
It's a franchise but it's a local business, the owner just has to pay the franchise fee.

Aloha,
John S. Rabi, GM,ARB,BFT,CM,CBR,FHS,PB,RB
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
"The Next Level of Service!"
This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: http://www.nsm88.org/aboutus.html

I was not speaking out in anger. I was simply pointing out that local, smaller businesses cannot afford to expand and create new, innovative commerce without our supportive vote. That vote comes in the form of consumer dollars and legislation approved by the people. As long as we continue to be lulled away from our sense of sustainability by something "cool" or "neat" , some new gimmick or novelty, than we will continue to be in this rut of dependence. Now even with a franchise owned by a local businessman there are not just franchise fees to pay, but regulations that dictate what an owner can and cannot carry, whom they can and cannot do business with and what and where goods sold may be purchased from. So often franchises with mother companies based elsewhere creates an illusion of more independence than what actually there.
It is easier for our consciences if we look for reasons or excuses not to adamantly support local economic independence, but there is no easy way out of our 90% import enabling situation.
Just like the fact that even though we have an island of garbage bigger than Texas floating just miles from our island that is 90% plastic, the proposed ban on plastic bags received so much whining and whimpering from those afraid of loosing a convenience, that we are still a major part of that problem today despite it being in our own backyard. It makes no sense!
Like Jasper Moore asked: "What happens if/when the barges don't come? "
I'd like to add my 2 cents and throw my support for buying local. I have always avoided Starbucks or any chain in favor of local business. Just seems to make sense and I am one of those green guys that is always trying to calculate my carbon footprint. The other thing is I remember a day when one could travel and soak in local culture and special stores that only existed in that location. I miss that.

Anyway...I would like to know more about this: "just like the fact that even though we have an island of garbage bigger than Texas floating just miles from our island that is 90% plastic"

-Blake
http://www.theboysgreatescape.blogspot.com/
I am sorry guys but I think you got this wrong! Lets not get to the point of telling people what kind of business they should run. This guy bought a franchise because he thought that was the best way for him to make money. He is employing locals, he probably will have some local products to sell and I am sure his bookkeeper will be local too. The tax he will pay will support the local economy. Not supporting him because the name of his business includes "Seattle" and is a franchise still means we are not supporting a local business.
Disclaimer: I don't know who the owner is.

Aloha,
John S. Rabi, GM,ARB,BFT,CM,CBR,FHS,PB,RB
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
"The Next Level of Service!"
This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: http://www.nsm88.org/aboutus.html