Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Honey bees at Pu'u O'o
Has anyone else noticed how often there are honey bees on the lens cover of the Pu'u O'o webcam? I have to wonder where they came from, and why they flew up there. Maybe these are our mite free wild bees that will provide the genetic start to rebuild our bee population?

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Carol,
Unfortunately, they are probably only mite free (if they are) because they have not yet been infested. The local feral bees on the mainland were largely eliminated by mites, once they were infested.

My colleague just came back from working with a UH colleague around Hilo on small hive beetles. She said the beekeeper they worked with was having a really bad problem. On Oahu a couple beekeepers showed her some frames from strong colonies with insect larvae that they were afraid were small hive beetle larvae. They were relieved to hear that they were NOT beetle larvae, they were fruit fly larvae! That was a surprise. The simple way to recognize fly larvae is that they have a very pointed end. On careful examination, small hive beetle larvae also have spines. Life is getting a lot more complicated for Hawaii beekeepers.

Allen
Baton Rouge, LA & HPP
Allen
Finally in HPP
Seems like a really bad place for a bee preserve.
The bees that were prevalent around our place have almost completely disappeared over the last 6 months or so.