Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
West Hawaii Today Poll - CoH Budget & the 2% Fund
If you go to the West Hawaii Today web site there is a public poll underway on this topic and with these poll positions:

The county will likely pass a budget on second reading that will stop the two percent land fund and put thousands of acres in Hamakua on sale for development. This is:

• Good work by Mayor Billy Kenoi in balancing the budget in tough times
  • An example of how in tough times government expects everybody except government itself to make sacrifices
  • An invitation for a recall petition drive against all who voted to abrogate the voters' will

The poll is here: http://www.westhawaiitoday.com/ on the right hand column 3/4 of the way down.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
That is interesting, the paper is owned by the same company that owns our Hilo Paper and the question is being asked on the side of the island that is not even connected to Hamakua! AGH... the irony is insane.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
www.eastbaypotters.blogspot.com
Yet another reason why politics sicken me.

I understand your sentiment and tend to feel the same way. Politicians however count on our apathy, the divide and conquer methodology. Just look at the elections the past two decades, historically 1/4 of our voting population decide any given office, issue and or election.

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
I was once told by a politician that the method of dealing with Puna was to get everyone arguing and then walk away. It shows.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
The policitians are counting on the voters having the usual short memory span when the next election comes around. They are more than likely safe in doing so. Those who bother to vote will often make their local office choices based on family, ethnic, religious, or union affiliation rather than issues that might critically affect their quality of life.

Kenoi and the council members supporting the Land Fund theft probably feel safe since it's 18 months until election time. Even if the voters somehow manage to get reminded, I doubt that it will overcome those affiliations I mentioned. How do you think Hawaii (and other conservative, traditionalist areas) keep electing the same incompetent politicians over and over?
I'm confident that a day will come, probably somewhere in the distant future, when terms such as "politician" and "government lover" will be among the greatest insults that one person can heap upon another.