Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unleashed dogs
Any dog that makes tooth contact with a human should be put down, no excuses

Number one rule in dog breeding

Now let me go rattle mine out of my bed – it is time for his belly rub and breakfast

Aloha
well i must say there is a lot of bad advise on this topic. ...carrying mace, shovel, big stick...I cannot walk to the park anymore because of loose , charging pit bulls on our street (dead end) so lets say i clock this pit bull with a shovel,,,do you really think that will be the end of that??dogs like that , like it or not are a reality in Puna,, adapt, change routine, drive to a safer walking area, if you are very frightened of dogs, and like to go walking, you are going to have problems in Puna..no doubt.... and to say any dog, with tooth contact should be put down is just wrong, ..I have a large well trained dog, i work very hard to have her not be part of the problem, but if something bizzre happened and you wanted to do that to my dog,, well you would have a problem
Like I said:
9 iron or 5 wood works, they only charge once, tag em between the eyes , or behind the ears , just like a golf ball. Then its lights out. Never had to bean one that was under control or on a lead though.

for some background here is a link to that fatal mauling in san francisco a few years back - should any one need a reminder

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,45996,00.html

Aloha
quote:
Originally posted by the hare: well i must say there is a lot of bad advise on this topic. ...carrying mace, shovel, big stick...I cannot walk to the park anymore because of loose , charging pit bulls on our street (dead end) so lets say i clock this pit bull with a shovel,,,do you really think that will be the end of that??dogs like that , like it or not are a reality in Puna,, adapt, change routine, drive to a safer walking area, if you are very frightened of dogs, and like to go walking, you are going to have problems in Puna..no doubt.... and to say any dog, with tooth contact should be put down is just wrong, ..I have a large well trained dog, i work very hard to have her not be part of the problem, but if something bizzre happened and you wanted to do that to my dog,, well you would have a problem

lo que será

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Vince & Lisa,
So sorry to hear of your dog encounter. I can only imagine how bad it was if it caused you to scream ugly words. A mailman friend of mine once told me that aerosol hairspray is very effective against dogs, says it works better than mace. My personal added protection would be to also carry a lighter.[Smile]
quote:
Originally posted by Bullwinkle

for some background here is a link to that fatal mauling in san francisco a few years back - should any one need a reminder

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,45996,00.html

Kind of a stretch there bullwinkle, dont you think??...

I remember this case real well...

First off, those dogs were presa canarios. Vicious, beautiful, Spanish dogs bred to destroy everything and anything if not trained right...

Second, they were bred for killing by racists skinheads who at the time, were imprisoned in Pelican Bay, and had their defense attorney hold the dogs in the city...

Comparing these incidents is a long shot...I see the point you are getting at but there was way more factors involved than some unleashed dogs here in Puna...

And remember folks, if you decide to walk around w/ mace and a 9 iron or whatever and you club someones dog, expect some retaliation. Even though you may be in the right and all, be careful. Know what you are getting into before you do it...
point is: A mal treated 100 lb dog can kill thats all
Choices:
1)Remain inside your home as you're afraid to walk in your own neighborhood.

2)Drive to someones elses neighborhood and hope they don't have the same or simular dog problem.

3)Walk in your own neighborhood, in fear, remaining at the mercy of any "bad" dogs, so as to not offend a dog owner, but risk injury or death by mauling.

4)Walk in your own neighborhood unafraid, as you are prepared for the unexpected, but risk a later confrontation with a dogs owner should an undesired situation arise.

Hmm, let me think on that!

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
so now that's a couple of times you quote me ..what's your point? When we moved here from Oahu (so not completely un-akamai) i walked up and down and around with our then puppy on a leash finding safe, or safer , streets to walk down,,there are many that have lots of dogs, but are chained or tied or fenced.. and that actually wwas cool until recently.. so when the charging dogs on our street came along I had a choice to make....the sort of people who have dangerous dogs and let them run loose are perhaps not the type of people i want to start a battle with.. it is not that i don't want to offend, i choose to change and not have more trouble...my personal choice, perhaps with a few years on me...20 years ago perhaps I would have delt with it differntly
plus I am walking with a large dog, if it were just me or humans only, lots of these dogs don't pay as much attention, i knew getting a large breed dog and walking around here would get attention from aggresive breeds...my dog is quite mellow,unless she is defending us or our property