Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hilo flights to cost more
quote:
Originally posted by macuu222

So if Hilo has low passenger levels and high terminal expenses...then why are they currently making lounge improvements at the airport? They should be reducing their size instead of expanding it to match small passenger levels. I always wondered why Hilo had jetways and Kona didn't even though Kona has much more passenger traffic and larger planes.

Back in the 70's all the major airlines flew from the mainland to Hilo because it was the major airport.
It was expanded to meet the demand and then the Kona coast was developed as a major tourist destination and the flights moved there.

The DOT should have downsized the airport and remodeled part of it instead of keeping all that unused space.

It probably has a lot to do with grants to.The DOT can get grants from the aviation fund for improvements,but not for downsizing.
Must be alot of work getting people in wheelchairs off those 767 and 777 aircraft in Kona.
I spoke to Brennon Morioka today about this article. As far as I understood the $18.43 passenger fee for Hilo is incorrect. The HDOT is going to release a new memo early next week with the correct Hilo Airport passenger fee after a conference call with all the airlines serving Hilo.
A fast way to close down Hilo by air. They already have by ship. Head you know where.
Can't resist here.
It just keeps getting better and better; doesn't it? Tee hee hee. Destructive to its own ends.
Time for Hilo to turn to us mavericks to solve the problem Smile Return to the laws of the wild west and we'll whip this region back into shape in no time! Tourist will be going nuts to come visit and clammering to live there.

E ho'a'o no i pau kuhihewa.
Excerpted from the book Above the Pacific by William J. Horvat, 1966.

In the Pacific during 1963, PAA inaugurated the first U.S. jet service to Tahiti. In 1964, they applied for permission to make direct flights from California to Hilo. To accommodate the expected influx of visitors, Big Islanders busily prepared accommodations. This included a jet runway, a $13 million resort area, a new airport terminal building, hotels, shops, and attractions. This direct air service is expected to increase the island’s economy, as occurred with Oahu.

At the same time, Pan American is making a bid to link the United States and Japan via Alaska, by passing Hawaii in a “modernization of the Pacific air structure.”

The funk stops here!
Flying around the country I've seen a few small towns with the "if you build it they will come" mentality when it comes to airports. My hometown of Rochester has one of the nicest airports around. Unfortunately businesses and tourist don't come for the airport. That is just part of the journey.
That book was written in the 60's during the redevelopment of Hilo Airport so the accuracy of the statement is probably reliable. However the fact is that Honolulu has a population 30 times greater than Hilo and beautiful Waikiki beach to boot. Nice airport or not, Hilo is hard to market.

The funk stops here!
Go just increased it's airfares out of Hilo. It's now $63.00 one way from Hilo to Honolulu. The other two airlines,Hawaiian and Mokulele, are still studying the move.

I think Go's move is alittle presumpuous considering that DOT has told them that the rates are being re-evaluated! But then again...it could be weeks before DOT comes up with a new number if indeed there is one.

http://www.starbulletin.com/business/200..._hike.html
I just wish there were direct mainland flights like in the day. Id pony up the 13 dollars even if it is not a real number... you’d also see the regionals fall back in line .

Interesting that the terminal cost is charged to the departing airport. In a way subsidizes all of the landing passengers from the mainland at high volume airports. One would think averaging the cost among all of the airports, inbound and departing would make more sense.

Don’t get me started on go, mesa - opportunistic bottom feeders

Aloha
Hey the NEW air conditioning throughout the airport needs to be paid for! I thought the airport was lovely, and quaint without the conditioned air, but no needs airs now. Construction, supplies and electricity to pay for.