Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HPP warning
Our neighbor came home with her small keiki in the middle of the day today and someone ran out of their house, and across their back yard into the overgrown lot behind. One of their cars was also gone through the other night. People should be very aware of their own places and their neighbors' places, pay attention if you see or hear something that strikes you as odd or off. If you are wrong, no harm done, if you are right then maybe you can help the people doing this stuff get caught.

Before people start going off about how arrogant rich haoles from the mainland make themselves targets through conspicuous consumption, this was a very nice local family living in a modest house with modest cars in the driveway. Their house is also close to both the road and our house, and sitting in the open on a totally cleared acre. Someone would have to pretty bold to just walk up and into their house in the middle of the day. Because their kids are preschoolers and Dad works from home, people come and go all day long on no set schedule. Needless to say they are very concerned about their safety. This was on the Pahoa side of HPP.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Aloha Carol,
Did your neighbor file a police report? This is very important because even the least bit of identifying information can lead to an arrest. There are a number of "known characters" who might be the culprit. Also, the police should give the family advice on basic security measures. If this was not done, have them contact us at the HPP Neighborhood Watch via our email, HPPWatch@aol.com, and we will provide them with some free information.

Thanks,
Jerry
Thanks for reporting this, Carol and thanks for providing some options for following up, Jerry. Knowledge is power.
Thanks for the warning.

The story makes me wonder what methods these thieves are using. Staking out a target doesn't see to be
part of it. Could there have been a getaway car on the other side of the overgrown lot? Even if this is
the case, it seems a strange way to do things. I hope it's not one of the neighbors.

I'm sorely tempted to buy a cheap laptop and install tracking software on it, just so it will be taken
if my house is broken into.
What street ?
We are receiving reports of several break-ins and attempted break-ins in the 19th to 22nd Streets area near Makuu. At least one reliable description of a vehicle and its occupants has been provided to the Police and Neighborhood Watch. This involved a dark blue '95 or '96 two-door Honda Accord with two "light-skinned local males in their late teens."

Neighborhood Watch does NOT advocate confronting persons engaged in or suspected to be engaged in criminal activity. If you see suspicious activity, move to a safe place and call 911 as quickly as possible.

I was reluctant to post this out of concern for fear-mongering or misplaced suspicion, but I talked to the informant personally and feel the information provided to be accurate.
Thanks for the heads up.
See you in the surf
Do your neighbors have a dog? We had a terrible incident with an ice addict a couple of years ago. He broke into my nearby neighbor's house and passed out under his table with a big knife in his hand that he had stolen from his truck. He had a no-bail warrant out for his arrest. To make a long and scary story short, the police officers told my neighbor and I that we should each get a dog. So I went to the Humane Society and adopted my Rott-mix, Malia. My neighbor got a dog from a friend. I tie Malia up on my porch every night. In the day she's on her dog run on the side of the house near the carport. I would feel safer if I had a fenced yard with a couple of dogs in it though.
I hate the idea of needing a guard dog to be safe where I live. What a shame that the police respond to known dangers by advocating for people to do this instead of making the place safe. I mean, it's fine if you like dogs and it's just that much more love in your life, but getting an animal should be a commitment of love, and do police know who will love their dogs and who will just use them as an alarm and not give them affection?

(these dogs got lucky with owners, but there are so many neglected dogs being used as burglar alarms)
What does the law in Hawaii say about protecting yourself? Here if they have a weapon and threaten you the law says you can shoot them Last year a guy even got buy with shooting a carjacker